Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Geography predictions / questions *

• 09-06-2011 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

What's everyone learning for Geography tomorrow?? Serious cramming to be done here ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

80 mark for sure, its the main thing I have trouble with. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭seanh12

Are you doing the Biome one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Nah, Global Interdependence! I have 2 essays sorted for it, but getting real nervous now neither will come up, aha. So gotta do quick revision of the rest :( Hate morning exams after evening ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

With regard to the 80 marker on "Human interaction with soil" can you say deforestation is one for the Sahel region in Africa? Because they certainly cut down trees there and it does lead to problems with soil fertility but I'd hardly call the groups of trees there forests :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Anyone else doing Culture and Identity for 80mark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

C__ wrote: »
    Anyone else doing Culture and Identity for 80mark?

ME!!!!!!!

What have you got prepared?

I've:
    Language
    Religion (divides and unifies)
    Religion & Politics
    Multi Cultural Society (2 on that but haven't a clue)

I HATE GEOGRAPHY! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭currychips

HELP !

Im super screwed for geography tomorrow ! :( Its my worst subject ! Can anyone give me any tips on what to learn or how to get past it ? :(

and ,, how long should the questions be roughly ? :)

:O :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 shelly818

Anyone have any predictions or tips..

PLEASE HELP!

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

ME!!!!!!!

What have you got prepared?

I've:
    Language
    Religion (divides and unifies)
    Religion & Politics
    Multi Cultural Society (2 on that but haven't a clue)

I HATE GEOGRAPHY! :D

Cultural Indicators
    Cultural Groups vs National Borders I have a feeling this might pop its head up on the paper.
    Stuff bout racism and sh*t like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LMFAOFLOL

It's pretty likely human interaction with biomes will come up. It wasn't on the paper last year so it's promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I have to try and learn of three essays in biomes maybe one on soils. An try and go over the rest of the paper. Haven't gone over anything in geography since last week. I have the notes written up on them .

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

I only took up geography this year and i absolutely hat the subject, Ive actually given up caring about it! I just need to scrape a c2 on higher level. I have a note book with about 20-30 different sample essays. Any ideas on what I should focus my attention to. I have Primary activities in Paris basin, Common regional policy, Limestone landscape, Basalt landscape and manufacturing in India all covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LMFAOFLOL

Physical: Human interaction with surface processes, human interaction with the rock cycle, formation of igneous rocks, global distribution of earthquakes, formation of any landform.

Regional: Effects of EU expansion on Ireland, Growth of urban area in Sub-Continental region, Tertiary economic activities in an Irish region, Primary activities in a European region.

Going by pattern :P hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

I've done
    physical: plate tectonics,igneous rocks,human interaction with rocks & surface processes,waterfall,ox bow lake,folding and faulting,might look at d stalacites & stalagmites thingy

regional: primary,teritary (mezz & PB),urban growth PB,secondary & teritary BMW & GDA, teritary & secondary & urban growth Brazil

elective: Airbus & Dell MNCs, CAP & CFP, impact of EU on IE,Colonialism,Mayo GAs Conflict

biome:characteristics & human interaction

hope that's enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 shelly818

Thanks for that :D

Any ideas for the Electives I'm doing Q 10,11 and 12???

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

lads , anyone have a definiton of a biome ? wanna add it into my biome essay . im planning on have main characteristics of a biome , human interaction with a biome , and overcropping/overgrazing/desertification . that plenty ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

LMFAOFLOL wrote: »
    Physical: Human interaction with surface processes, human interaction with the rock cycle, formation of igneous rocks, global distribution of earthquakes, formation of any landform.

Regional: Effects of EU expansion on Ireland, Growth of urban area in Sub-Continental region, Tertiary economic activities in an Irish region, Primary activities in a European region.

Going by pattern :P hope this helps.

I know sweet eff all Geography so I'm taking this as gospel and gonna CRAM like mad! :D

Lol you're so dead if they don't come up..

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Can someone please suggest what might come up tomorrow... its the only section im dreading theres just so much to do... 2 or 3 suggestions would be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Shtory, conor? Strange, we were just talking about boards today!

My definition is "Biomes are climatically and geographically defined as areas with similar physical characteristics such as communities of plants, animals and soil. They are often referred to as ecosystems."

Found it somewhere online.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lukky

1. secondary activities in subcontinental region
    2. primary activities in a non irish euopean region
    3. tertiary avtivities in irish region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

thanks man are you going off patterns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ciff

lads , anyone have a definiton of a biome ? wanna add it into my biome essay . im planning on have main characteristics of a biome , human interaction with a biome , and overcropping/overgrazing/desertification . that plenty ? thanks
    A biome is a world region characterised by interrelated similarities in vegatation,climate,soil and animal life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Vodkat wrote: »
    I only took up geography this year and i absolutely hat the subject, Ive actually given up caring about it! I just need to scrape a c2 on higher level. I have a note book with about 20-30 different sample essays. Any ideas on what I should focus my attention to. I have Primary activities in Paris basin, Common regional policy, Limestone landscape, Basalt landscape and manufacturing in India all covered.

Have Ireland covered as well. Make sure you can draw the maps of all the regions. Have your higher option studyed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

Does anyone know if a Biome Q has to come up every year ? is it possible one won't come up and itl be a choice between 3 soil Q's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ciff

Does anyone know if a Biome Q has to come up every year ? is it possible one won't come up and itl be a choice between 3 soil Q's ?
    A biome has come up every year so far. Normally its two soils and one biom, in one year though it was 2 biome and one soil

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Yea emm our teacher left in the middle of the year and we never finished any of the 3 books and worst of all ! never opened the papers !

Dunno what the F the 16 of us in my class are meant to do tomorrow !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

This is the only subject where I plan to rely on predictions.
    We had no teacher for the first two months, a sub for a week, then no-one for a week, then for the next few months we had the single worst teacher I've ever had in my life. And when he left, he took all my notes. (Had my two copies to correct). We then had another awful sub for a week. No-one for a week. And a great teacher for a month.
    So we've done one month of geography this year! Fecked!
    I know my Biomes grand, I have a good memory for photos and processes too so my physical is decent. But regional and elective? We didn't even really do the elective in school. I know we're doing the economic one anyway...

So I plead with any enlightened souls out there for regional and elective predictions :p

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

If formation of an Irish landform comes up (again) does anyone think that they will specify either erosion or deposition this time around rather than giving us a choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭seanh12

Physical
    (You have to do ONE question [1, 2, or 3] from this section!)

O.S. map sketch
    River landforms (i.e. waterfall pics etc.)
    Impact of humans on Rivers (i.e. flooding)
    Volcanoes
    Marine landforms
    Impact of humans on Sea
    Karst Features & Formation
    Glacial features
    Faults & Deformation
    Plate Margins & boundaries
    Rock Types
    Rock cycle

Regional
    (You have to do ONE question [4, 5, or 6] from this section!)

Sketch of Ireland
    Ireland - Agriculture
    Ireland - Tourism
    Ireland – Primary Activities

(Regional…continued…)
    Ireland - Industry
    Subcon region - Sketch
    Subcon region - Industry
    Subcon region - Urban growth
    Subcon region - Tourism
    Subcon region - Culture
    Euro region - Agriculture
    Euro region - Tourism
    Euro region – Urban Growth
    Euro region - Sketch
    Euro region - Industry
    What is a region?
    Any Climatic region

Economic
    (You have to do ONE question [7, 8, or 9] from this section!)

Draw a graph or chart
    MNC ‘s (in general)
    Aerial Photo - Sketch
    Non-renewable energy sources
    Environmental Concerns
    Ireland & the EU
    Interpret a graph or chart
    Developing Countries & Colonialism
    Global environmental issue
    Exploiting Natural resources
    O.S. Economic activity in town
    O.S. Pick/Explain a location for something