Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Geography predictions / questions *

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I feel like I'm the only person doing the Global Interdependence question. :P

My class did Geoecology but I just it impossible to learn.

Anyone else who's doing the Global Interdependence one, what topics are the best to cover? I've just finished going over the Views of Development stuff and know stuff about the Aid Debate/NGOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nikkaypandarr

flyaway. wrote: »
    I feel like I'm the only person doing the Global Interdependence question. :P

My class did Geoecology but I just it impossible to learn.

Anyone else who's doing the Global Interdependence one, what topics are the best to cover? I've just finished going over the Views of Development stuff and know stuff about the Aid Debate/NGOs.

I"m doing global interdependence, and i've learned
    models of development
    impact of MNCs on producer and consumer regions
    sustainable economic development
    exploitation on a local and global scale (even though that one will never come up)
    Debt and the cycle of poverty and the jubilee debt campaign!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roisin24

hey everyone,

Can anyone tell me what their time plan is for the geography higher level exam tomorrow for each q???

Thanks!

Roisin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

How many questions would you need right to pass?. I only know a bit on the physical , the european part of regional I think primary of the irish region. South west usa , I have mostly south west usa note and some on the paris basin . I don't know much about question 11 the human processes thing , haven't had a chance to learn it. An if I try and learn an essay off hoping the human influence on biomes or how plants and animals adapt to biomes come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

Could someone answer this quick? I have 2 biome essays. Characteristics and Human Impact. There is another that has come up. how plant and animal life adapt to soil and climatic features. Should I try to look over it a bit or am I safe with the other 2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Quick question!
    I've forgotten this tiny piece of info and cant find it in my notes.
    Examples of the three different types of plate boundaries?

Oh and, is the "How plants and animals adapt" essay really that different from the characteristics essay? I was under the impression that you just take the characteristics essay, but constantly refer back to how climate affected this thing.
    If I was to write an essay on JUST climate, plants and animals, I'd be missing a third of an essay! The soils! We've been given no sample essays on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

Hello :)
    For the Desert Biome, what are human interactions with them?
    I love who ever replies first.

P.S Boland Rules!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

anyone still up studying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

Well, I only had time to cram in on the Rocks, Human Interaction with fluvial and oil and gas, and learning how to get full marks by drawing maps. That alone took me 5 fkin hours. Tomorrow, i'm wakin up at 6:30, taking my ass to school, and sitting outside the gate studying the crap out of my notes for 2 and a half hours. Hope to cover a bit of Physical (plate tectonics, earthquakes, volcanoes) all of Regional (leaving out subcontinental) and soils. Not doing Biomes.

I know this is stating the obvious, but try to focus on the questions that are guaranteed (as far as I know), to come up.
    LEARN OFF YOUR FECKING THREE GORGES DAM ESSAY. I swear to you, that it is the easiest thing EVER. When it comes to names, all you need to remember is Three Gorges Dam in China, and River Yangtze (excuse my bad spelling) Dolphins. Talk about how the dam was used to prevent flooding and generate power. Talk about the impacts the floods were having on the villages (destroyed, thousands killed), the soils (flooded, infertile until excess water was evaporated... although I made that up. Common sense tells me it's right), and talk about the one thing that i've seen no one and no teacher mention or write about: the negative impacts the floods were having on the economy (Gov had to rebuild villages over and over).

Talk about the negative factors of the dam. Interfered with the rivers natural processes of transportation and deposition, causing the sediments to build up over time. The fact that the soils are almost infertile, due to the fact they used to get their supply of nutrients, moisture and alluvium from the floods. Talk about the impact this is having on the people, as agriculture is their main means supplying them with food and income (I also made that up, but it's obviously right. Just because something is not on your notes, it does not mean you shouldn't add it in if you know it's right!). Talk about how the dams have interfered with the natural marine habitat or whatever... e.g. in 2007, River Yangtze Dolphins were declared extinct.
    Oh and dont forget to describe the dams are the start (high walls, on the river blah blah)

Then mention levees. Apparently you must do this in order to get full marks.. dunno if its true, but I didnt get my full marks in the Mocks because of it. Be vague. 1 or 2 short paragraphs is enough for levees, as you've already based your essay on the Dam. Explain what they are, describe them, what they're used for (to stop floods), the impacts this has on the land, what overtime may happen (water level can rise above the level of the floodplan, which means the levees are the only thing preventing it from flooding). Talk about how they are economically hard to maintain, as there's sometimes the need to raise them. Oh, mention the fact they can be natural processes or made by humans. Found at the lower stage of a river (or younger ugh). Found in River Rhine.

Another question that is obviously guaranteed is the interaction with oil and gas. Kinsale Bay off the Cork shore and Corrib Gas field, are your examples. Kinsale is almost wasted, Corrib has yet to be brought ashore. Before you state all that, mention how oil and gas is formed (organic matter from sedimentray rocks under heat and pressure). Say that its less dense than water, rises through the rock until they get trapped by impermeable rock, or can escape to the surface. Say how humans interact with it... what oil is used for (dont be limited, raw materials such ass plastic is a product of oil. Nylon too... etc... mention raw materials, shampoo, vaseline, dont just stick to its obvious uses!).
    Mention the positive benefits - independence of fuel supply, protecting the economy from fuel shortage and rising world fuel prices. Lower unemployment (again, dont be limited!! mention pilots, engineers, doctors, divers...).
    Negative impacts - environment being harmed. Burning of oil and gas raises levels of CO2 int he atmosphere, leading to global weathering. The changes in the weather are already evident... droughts, drastic weather conditions, sea level rise. Mention oil spills, and how they affect the marine environment.

Study your rocks. Metamorphic sucks imo, but bear through it. Try to add in a diagram.. you'd be surprised how easy they are for igneous and (especially) sedimentary!!
    Igneous - 2 types - extrusive and intrusive/plutonic. Explain what they mean and how they are formed. Name 1 rock per type.

Extrusive - basalt. Most common rock on earth's surface. Explain how it was formed. Cools rapidly due to being in contact with the atmosphere. Small crystals due to rapid cooling, thus making it fine grained. Found in Antrim-Derry Plateau. Gray-ish in color.

Intrusive - granite. Explain how it was formed. Cools slowly over millions of years due to being formed on the inside of the earth's crust. Brough to the surface by weathering/erosion and uplift. Coarse grained due to large crystals. Pure granite is white but impurities in the rock can cause the color to vary. Made up of feldspar, quartz, and mica.

Sorry guys, thats all I can do, i'm falling asleep here. Only have 4 hours to sleep today :( sorry if it doesnt make sense, I left out a LOT, tried to break it down as much as possible
    Best of Luck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

overgrazing, overcropping and deforestation are the human interactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

is it possible to do the geography paper without answering on the messogiorno?.. like they never specifically ask for a peripheral european region do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

When doing economic questions, if they ask for two factors can i write everything on physical and human that i know, or do i have to pick just 2 factors? can i discuss climate, soils, relief + market, transport, human - or i do have to just pick 2 of these to discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

He asked for human interactions on a biome

They being

-Industrial Development
    -De-forestation
    -Permanent settling
    -Tourism
    -Intense Agriculture

Advertisement