Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

break away,bottles??

• 09-06-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

hi all, were thinkingof bringing our son for a 2/3 night break away in ireland somewhere, he will be 6 months old when we are going, but i was just wondering how will i manage his bottles?? like how will i make them up from a hotel room, i no theres kettles in most rooms but the fridges in the rooms arent big enough so that i could make a few up for the day and use as i need them?? (as for sterilizing the bottles im sure i could just wash them out with hot water this once)..
    anyone had this issue before and if so what did you do? i want the break to be as stress free as possible,, and dont want to be poping back to the room to make bottles as he needs them,,, not a major problem im sure but any advice would be great...
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Use premade formula? The ones in the cartons? just bring the bottles with you and fill the bottles when needed then...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

hi january, i have tried them once a couple of months ago and he got sick after drinking it, but i could try him again and see if he takes to it, they would actually be very handy alright. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

jackben you can fill the bottles with boiling water and allow them to cool to room temperature, then just add formula powder as necessary.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add: obviously the bottles would be washed and ideally sterilised before hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

We stayed in a hotel last year and they had a baby room with microwaves, kettles and a steriliser! They also had a few high chairs and some basic toys in it, it was great! Don't know if many places do this?
    One suggestion I would have would be to take a plastic tub and some milton tablets for sterilising the bottles.

i did think of bringing a plastic bowl arlight to wash the bottles in as idont fancy washing them in the sink in room......
    putting the boiling water in the bottles to cool is good idea too..
    thanks for yer help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We brought the plug in steriliser on our 1st trip and just in case I always have milton tablets in the changing bag.
    A large plastic lunch box is a great steriliser if you are travelling or tesco and boots sell travel sterilisers that can take milton or microwave mine was about a fiver.

good idea moonbeam, might just bring sterilser in car just in case we do need,,so much to think of for a short trip:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

hi jackben, we've done quite a few of those trips, and what worked out for us is that at night time, we boil the water in the kettle, and it's cooled off enough by the morning for the day's bottles. HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Alternatively you could use bottled water to make the bottles. Just buy a couple 2 litre bottles (69 cent in Tesco for example) and fill your bottles with them. Saves the trouble of boiling.

Did this while on holiday abroad and on weekend break here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Use one of those plastic containers divided into 3 compartments to store your formula, saves you having to lug the full box around with you when your out and about.
    You probably have one, we found them really handy, could have done with knowing they existed a few months earlier!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You can but steriliser bags in which you fill with water and a tablet and throw everything in there, that's what we used to do.

Molzer2 wrote: »
    Use one of those plastic containers divided into 3 compartments to store your formula, saves you having to lug the full box around with you when your out and about.
    You probably have one, we found them really handy, could have done with knowing they existed a few months earlier!!

hi molzer, where can i get those 3 compartment containers, have never seen them anywhere, and they sound so handy too..........

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You can but steriliser bags in which you fill with water and a tablet and throw everything in there, that's what we used to do.

hi thisregard,,,where did you get the sterilier bags, never heard of them, would they fit many bottles in them??

jackben wrote: »
    hi molzer, where can i get those 3 compartment containers, have never seen them anywhere, and they sound so handy too..........

I have this one, found it good because it has a small spout to pour out the powder.

I have seen it in most pharmacies - definately the likes of boots would have them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I have those powder dispensers too, find them brill. I use them for every bottle, even when I'm at home. It means when you have a spare few mins you can count out the scoops and have the powder for a few bottles ready then.
    Saves making a mistake if you forget what your counting with half the powder in the bottle! At least if you forget what your at you can just throw it back into the tub and start again.

I have these ones from Smyths, nice and cheap too.

http://www.toys.ie/BabySafe-Milk-Powder-Container-!H09909-prod.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have 3 of these:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Used them at home too.

Now I some milupia baby bedtime in one compartment so all i need to bring is a bowl and spoon if we go somewhere in the evening.

Only bad bit is, you'd never get 8 oz in the compartments. My little one still only takes a 6ox bottle, but i recommended them to someone and she had to put 4oz in each compartment for her bottles.

that would be a pain wmpdd3, my lady is on 8 oz bottles atm and it hold the powder no problem. You could easily fit 9 and maybe even 10! :eek: Havn't tried 10 though! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Yeah the Smyths ones hold 8 scoops of powder as well. Don't know if you'd get much more in than 8 scoops but my bottles only take 8oz anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jackben wrote: »
    hi thisregard,,,where did you get the sterilier bags, never heard of them, would they fit many bottles in them??

Hi Jackben, I'm pretty sure they were these ones from Boots, http://reviews.boots.com/2111-en_gb/25755/boots-boots-disposable-steriliser-bags-7pack-reviews/reviews.htm

They're quiet big so we managed to fit about 2 or 3 bottles easily enough plus whatever cutlery and bowls we used and left it hanging from the shower overnight.

You can get similar ones from Mothercare and possibly Smiths.

thanks for all the brillant advice,i will definatly be purchasing the sterilzer bags froms boots and the containers to store the milk powder, all very handy items... every little helps when your going away and have so much to pack and organise.........looking forward to the break away now:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I have 3 of these:

Only bad bit is, you'd never get 8 oz in the compartments. My little one still only takes a 6ox bottle, but i recommended them to someone and she had to put 4oz in each compartment for her bottles.

I have them and was able to fit 8 scoops in, the trick is to press the powder down half way through and you can fit 8 scoops. I've 3 of them at home now still and were finish formula 2 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ah, never thought of that. I find the Aptamil 3 takes up more room than the no. 1.

(Am I going mad?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

no ur not, i'm not sure we were using sma then changed to apatmil and did find it that bit bigger. its weird alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

If you use tomee tippee bottles I would highly reccomend these:

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/closer_to_nature_milk_powder_dispensers_pack_of_6_/

I found the tommee tippee bottles excellent, and combined with these they are just perfect for home and away!!

Advertisement