Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut on westies paw

• 09-06-2011 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I was walking my dog on monday and after the walk i seen drops of blood on the floor in my house. I inspected my dogs paws and seen that one of the pads on her front paws was bleeding. I immediately stopped the bleeding and cleansed the wound and dabbed it dry. The bleeding made it look alot worse than it actually was because when it was clean and dry it was a small slit in her pad exact same as a paper cut. She hasnt been limping on it our licking or biting it and seems to be walking around the house fine. The cut is very clean doesnt look swollen and has no bits of debvris in it but it doesnt seem to be closing up. Im worried that if i take her out walking she will step on glass or a stone n make the slit bigger. At the same time i dont think its an issue for the vet as ive rang them already. Anybody ever use sudocrem on cuts like this to dry up the wound???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

To be honest I wouldn't put anything on it that might be harmful to the dog if it were to lick it off. I'd just leave it be for night and let the air at it and it should be starting to heal by morning. There's no point examining it every 10 minutes, it won't look any different ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Cuts on the pad can be notoriously difficult to heal because everytime the dog walks on it it separates and opens up again. All I can suggest is keep an eye on it and if it doesn't appear to be healing then she may need a stitch or two to keep it closed.
    A plastic bag can be put over her paw when you bring her outside, if they keep tearing or falling off you can buy doggy boots in most petshops for things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Westie_Owner

Just back from the vet now. I made an appointment just to be on the sfae side. The vet said the wound didnt need to be stitched or bandaged and since she wasnt limping on it it should heal up ok. He told me continue walking her as normal and leave the air get to it as much as possible. He reckons it will heal fine without any major treatment. Just gave her an antibiotic injection so that it wont get infected. He also said salt water is better than any creams when it comes to minor cuts like this.

Advertisement