Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Maths Paper 1

• 09-06-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

I'm slightly nervous for it, I fail by 1% in the mocks but I made alot of really silly errors.

For tommorow I'm confident I'll being able to get a C/B+ on paper 1 since I know all the theorems and I'm pretty good at the questions we've focused on(1,2,3,6,7 and good with 8 except for some of the area ones).

Also I'm worried they'll make it harder since it is the last year of this maths program and they will want to justify the new system by making more fail this year than next years exam.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

i'm kinda annoyed about the time :D
    I have geo in the morning and I'm gonna study that instead of maths. Hope to Feck i'll be able to answer teh questions, havent done one in a few days :/
    Just haven't the time for both :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

yeah im very nervous about tomorrow.. i've kinda put a lot of pressure on myself but i need an A1/A2! but even though i know im capable of it im still so worried ill open the first page and see a question i cant do and freak out! :o
    But at the moment im just going over all the exam questions for P1.. works like a charm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Prinkle

Hoping to do Maths in college in September so I need at least a b3 I think. Aiming for the A though so I'm pretty nervous. Especially for proofs, always mixing up the differentiation ones. I can take tomorrow morning to study though, I'm wrecked after English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

The statistics have to remains around the same level every year. No matter how smart/stupid we all are compared to last year, overall the percentages will remain almost identical in each subject for every grade. Hence no more/less than last year will fail. It would make the system show precedence to one year over another, or make one paper look easier than another year's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Our teacher gave us a crapload of theorems to learn for the course in one big lump, and I know them fairly well but I'm just wondering which specific ones come up on paper one?
    I don't want to be revising paper 2 theorems by mistake beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

The theorems which are asked on P1 are:
    - Factor theorem [If f(k)=0 prove (x-k) is a factor of f(x)]
    - DeMoivres theorem [by induction]
    - Differentiation addition [d/dx(u+v) = du/dx + dv/dx]
    - Differentiation product rule [d/dx(uv) = v(du/dx) + u(dv/dx)
    - Differentiation quotient rule [d/dx(u/v) = [v(du/dx)-u(dv/dx)]/v^2]
    - Differential rule [d/dx(x^n) = nx^(n-1)]

And of course the standard first principles rules, x^2, 1/x, sqrt(x), sin x, cos x.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

kpac wrote: »
    The theorems which are asked on P1 are:
    - Factor theorem [If f(k)=0 prove (x-k) is a factor of f(x)]
    - DeMoivres theorem [by induction]
    - Differentiation addition [d/dx(u+v) = du/dx + dv/dx]
    - Differentiation product rule [d/dx(uv) = v(du/dx) + u(dv/dx)
    - Differentiation quotient rule [d/dx(u/v) = [v(du/dx)-u(dv/dx)]/v^2]
    - Differential rule [d/dx(x^n) = nx^(n-1)]

And of course the standard first principles rules, x^2, 1/x, sqrt(x), sin x, cos x.

Is that all the theorems... I'm so worried about it tomorrow and I can't think is there any more?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

There's the integration proofs too...

Oh yes, volume of a cone and sphere about the x-axis. Handy once you know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I'm dreading tomorow. Just sat down and attempted a few questions and I can't do any of them. Making lot's a stupid mistakes. I hope it's just because I'm tired. :(

• Advertisement

nommm wrote: »
    I'm dreading tomorow. Just sat down and attempted a few questions and I can't do any of them. Making lot's a stupid mistakes. I hope it's just because I'm tired. :(

You're probably just tired....My teacher said you can't study or concentrate properly after 8 o clock...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Anybody think circular integrals will come up? I believe it's only been asked once (and they gave you the hint to let it = sinx)

aranciata wrote: »
    Anybody think circular integrals will come up? I believe it's only been asked once (and they gave you the hint to let it = sinx)

Came up in 1999 and not since to my knowledge... they did give the hint to let x=2sinx, but it was still an entire part C!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Came up in 1999 and not since to my knowledge... they did give the hint to let x=2sinx, but it was still an entire part C!
    I hope it comes up! Very doable and an easy 20 marks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

hunii07 wrote: »
    Is that all the theorems... I'm so worried about it tomorrow and I can't think is there any more?:confused:

In complex numbers you could have to prove the conjugate of (sum of two complex numbers) equals sum of conjugate of one and the conjugate of the other...
    Or the same but with products instead of sums...
    ^those two are straightforward - you might be able to do it even without studying them!

There's also the conjugate root theorem and there's nothing too tricky in that either, but I personally wouldn't guess the proof without having a look at it first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Prinkle

There's also the conjugate root theorem and there's nothing too tricky in that either, but I personally wouldn't guess the proof without having a look at it first!

Sorry, which one is that? Have really got to start looking at my proofs!

Prinkle wrote: »
    Have really got to start looking at my proofs!

me too:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Prinkle wrote: »
    Sorry, which one is that? Have really got to start looking at my proofs!

The conjugate root theorem is the one that says if you have a quadratic with real coefficients, then the conjugate of one root is also a root!

As in if you have ax^2 + bx + c = 0
    And if one root is p + iq, the conjugate root theorem says the other root is p - iq :)

The conjugate root theorem is the one that says if you have a quadratic with real coefficients, then the conjugate of one root is also a root!

As in if you have ax^2 + bx + c = 0
    And if one root is p + iq, the conjugate root theorem says the other root is p - iq :)

How is it proven to you know? Is it online or in Aidan Roantree's textbooks? or Less Stress More Success??

FREAKING OUT cause i've never seen/heard that before! any help would really be appreciated!

And as long as there's no imaginary part to any equation, the second root will always be the conjugate of the first one.

• Advertisement

How is it proven to you know? Is it online or in Aidan Roantree's textbooks? or Less Stress More Success??

FREAKING OUT cause i've never seen/heard that before! any help would really be appreciated!

I'm the same I know how to get the conjugates but i didnt know there was a proof:(

I'm the same I know how to get the conjugates but i didnt know there was a proof:(

I read it came up in the 1999 paper and looking at the question (i assume it's 3b part 2), it's not exactly a "proof" and the answer could maybe be gotten by doing a minus-b?

If it were a proper proof surely it would be in the proof section of Less Stress More Success? I could be ENTIRELY wrong though haha!

Yeah, simply doing -b will show the other root.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's not a proper proof. The quadratic formula is enough to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Could someone please post up the paper whenever they're out of the exam?

Absolutely dying to see it :p

phew! it's good to know it though, might be handy if i'm stuck for time or have to verify an answer!

that 1999 paper might be a good one to do before the exam, lots of stuff there that haven't come up in a while! might do it now

I read it came up in the 1999 paper and looking at the question (i assume it's 3b part 2), it's not exactly a "proof" and the answer could maybe be gotten by doing a minus-b?

If it were a proper proof surely it would be in the proof section of Less Stress More Success? I could be ENTIRELY wrong though haha!

Thanks yeah I know how you'd get it but I was freakin out there when someone mentioned it as a proof... thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Please god leave there be no volume of a cone or sphere in question 8! I was out for them, I would be totally screwed!

RHunce wrote: »
    Please god leave there be no volume of a cone or sphere in question 8! I was out for them, I would be totally screwed!

agreed I hate them

• Advertisement

agreed I hate them
    They're simple! As long as you can do basic intergration you can do these proofs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement