Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Maths Paper 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

The integration ones are my most favourite of all of them :D

I hope that the S/S question is easy, I always do it as I'm trying to avoid the 4 Diff. proofs.

I've been told I'm more than able for an A, but it's ALWAYS paper 2 that screws me over...fun weekend ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

Generally integration is one of my better questions .. I don't know I still don't like those proofs though

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Michael_E wrote: »

I've been told I'm more than able for an A, but it's ALWAYS paper 2 that screws me over...fun weekend ahead.

Me too. I did my LC last year, got 97% on Paper 1, did crap on paper 2, and in the end I got an A2, but I was 0.12% from an A1, a single mark... :rolleyes:

Marking scheme crucified me. I made two tiny mistakes on paper 2. Should have lost 3 marks for each, so 6 in total. But, the way the marking scheme was changed around I lost a total of 30 marks for two tiny addition mistakes... :rolleyes:

Me too. I did my LC last year, got 97% on Paper 1, did crap on paper 2, and in the end I got an A2, but I was 0.12% from an A1, a single mark... :rolleyes:

Marking scheme crucified me. I made two tiny mistakes on paper 2. Should have lost 3 marks for each, so 6 in total. But, the way the marking scheme was changed around I lost a total of 30 marks for two tiny addition mistakes... :rolleyes:

Oh God, that sucks ><

I just did a mock for my teacher the other week. Got an A1 in paper 1, got a B3 in Paper 2 :rolleyes: I am just going balls-out this weekend for paper 2 ><

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Obviously most people here prefer paper 1? I prefer paper 2 to be honest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

kpac wrote: »
    They're simple! As long as you can do basic intergration you can do these proofs.

Care to explain how they work for somebody who never did them?

RHunce wrote: »

Sphere
    • Draw a circle of equation x^2+y^2=r^2. Radius = r and centre = (0,0)
    • Then say that the points it cuts the x-axis are (0,r) and (0,-r) .... they're where we rotate through the x-axis to make our sphere. (i.e. limits)
    • Re-arrange equation to get y^2=r^2-x^2
    • Intergrate (pi)(y^2) dx between r and -r.

Cone
    • Draw a line y=mx (it passes straight through the origin and is diagonal).
    • Label a point on this line (r,h)
    • So the vertical distance = r (radius) and the horizontal height = h (height)
    • If you turn it 90dgs clockwise, it looks more like a cone that way, if you're having trouble visualising it.
    • So you can say the slope [m] of this line is the rise over the run so it's r/h
    • Replace r/h for m in -> y=mx
    • So you now intergrate (pi)(y^2)dx between h and 0.

You've got a formula in the tables, V = pi (integral of y dx between b and a)
    you need to get y in terms of x, so if its a cone or cylinder, just put in the equation of the line, the distance between the x axis and the highest point on y is your base radius, distance between the origin and this x point is your h. :)

Same with a sphere, except you're dealing with y squared

I can write both out quickly and post them here if you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Basically, the integral of pi times y-squared with respect to x between r and -r will give you 4/3(pi)(r^3)

The cone is similar enough. The integral of pi times y-squared with respect to x between h and 0. It's hard to explain in words.

EDIT: we're not quick enough... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Michael_E wrote: »
    Sphere
    • Draw a circle of equation x^2+y^2=r^2. Radius = r and centre = (0,0)
    • Then say that the points it cuts the x-axis are (0,r) and (0,-r) .... they're where we rotate through the x-axis to make our sphere. (i.e. limits)
    • Re-arrange equation to get y^2=r^2-x^2
    • Intergrate (pi)(y^2) dx between r and -r.

Cone
    • Draw a line y=mx (it passes straight through the origin and is diagonal).
    • Label a point on this line (r,h)
    • So the vertical distance = r (radius) and the horizontal height = h (height)
    • If you turn it 90dgs clockwise, it looks more like a cone that way, if you're having trouble visualising it.
    • So you can say the slope [m] of this line is the rise over the run so it's r/h
    • Replace r/h for m in -> y=mx
    • So you now intergrate (pi)(y^2)dx between h and 0.
    Proofs are far easier to remember in this format. I do this for all my proofs.

Okay, guy above did a way better job at explaining :p

in case anyone wants to know why you multiply by pi, pi is the area of a unit circle, so when you have a the area of a triangle, multiplying it by the area of a circle spreads the triangle out making a cone.

Okay that was a terrible explanation, but hey, it makes sense to me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Area of a circle by integration methods. Likely to come up guys? I cant find the proof if anyone would care to tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

anybody know how to find the roots of a cubic? (1999 paper is hard, grr)

aranciata wrote: »

without guessing, cause I have a kx^2

If you have a Casio FX-83...

Push mode and switch to table mode. Type in the cubic equation and set start and end values and the step value to 1. Look for where f(x)=0 and they are your roots.

Then work backwards to show your steps on the exam paper :)

Digits wrote: »
    Area of a circle by integration methods. Likely to come up guys? I cant find the proof if anyone would care to tell me?

Equation of a circle is y^2 + x^2 = r^2, rearrange and take square roots to get

y = root(x^2 - r^2)

Plug this into formula i mentioned a few posts above

There;s a substitution for this, which I don't remember off the top of my head, someone mentioned it as the thing on the 1999 paper.

Integrate between r and -r, unsubstitute if thats even a word...

Should be okay :)

I'm working on deriving the area of a circle proof, I doubt it'll come up. It's not in my book (T&T)
    without guessing, cause I have a kx^2
    • Sub in 0, 1, -1, 2, -2 ......... for x. When you find a value for x that makes the equation = 0, you can say f(number) = 0, therefore (x - number) is a factor.
    • Divide that (x - number) into the original equation, you'll find a quadratic equation.
    • The two roots of that quadratic, and the original (x - number) are your 3 roots of the cubic.

Ah... are you on Q3bii of 1999?

You use long division to get a quadratic and you solve that for the remaining two roots.

Divide [LATEX]z^3 - (k)z^2++(22)z - 20 [/LATEX] by [LATEX]z-3-i[/LATEX]

If you have a Casio FX-83...

Push mode and switch to table mode. Type in the cubic equation and set start and end values and the step value to 1. Look for where f(x)=0 and they are your roots.

Then work backwards to show your steps on the exam paper :)

This.

Also, to find one of the roots straight away, if you have ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, one of the factors has to be d/a, so firstly try that and the negative value of it.

Get a factor from the root, divide into the cubic to get a quadratic.

• Advertisement

Ah... are you on Q3bii of 1999?

You use long division to get a quadratic and you solve that for the remaining two roots.

Divide [LATEX]z^3 - (k)z^2+(22)z - 20 [/LATEX] by [LATEX]z-3-i[/LATEX]

question 7(c)(i) from 1999. working from the answer, x has to be greater than the y value of it's local maximum. that doesn't make much sense to me, does the local maximum have to be above the x axis??

Equation of a circle is y^2 + x^2 = r^2, rearrange and take square roots to get

y = root(x^2 - r^2)

Plug this into formula i mentioned a few posts above

There;s a substitution for this, which I don't remember off the top of my head, someone mentioned it as the thing on the 1999 paper.

Integrate between r and -r, unsubstitute if thats even a word...

Should be okay :)

Yeah I'm getting that far but I cant seem to figure out what the substitution should be.:confused:

Digits wrote: »
    Yeah I'm getting that far but I cant seem to figure out what the substitution should be.:confused:

I'm not 100% certain as to what it is and don't want to post my initial hunch in case it mixes you up.

There should be a section in the integration chapter of your book about integrating functions of the form squareroot(a^2 - x^2)

Let x = rsin(theta)

question 7(c)(i) from 1999. working from the answer, x has to be greater than the y value of it's local maximum. that doesn't make much sense to me, does the local maximum have to be above the x axis??
    In a cubic function the local max and local min have to be on opposite sides of the x axis to cut it three times hence three roots. For it to have three roots the local maximum y coordinate must be positive. To show the range where it has three roots simply put the the y coordinate of the maximum value greater than 0 and solve.

For two real roots and one imaginary root the y coordinate of the local max must be equal to 0.

Nevermind

In a cubic function the local max and local min have to be on opposite sides of the x axis to cut it three times hence three roots. For it to have three roots the local maximum y coordinate must be positive. To show the range where it has three roots simply put the the y coordinate of the maximum value greater than 0 and solve.

For two real roots and one imaginary root the y coordinate of the local max must be equal to 0.

It doesn't say they have to be distinct, so one of the local max/mins could infact be on the x axis.

taking this down and committing it to memory! a sincere thanks!

Okay here are the proofs of the sphere/cone volume. I figured out the area one, but it's on my whiteboard and not on paper, sorry :P

Sphere
    IMG_7064-1.jpg

Cone
    IMG_7065.jpg

• Advertisement

Let x = rsin(theta)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement