Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours from hell!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

Just worth mentioning, as you have a sign up saying notifying people that you have a dog...received this information from a solicitor - A beware of dog sign of any variation will act as evidence AGAINST you. As in the eyes of the law it is evidence that you knew your dog was dangerous and never restrained him. Best thing to do if you are worried about this is put a sign on your gate with a pic of a dog with statement under pic that says "I LIVE HERE". As it is not incriminating. Accompany this sign with a no tresspassing private property sign. Also if you can prove your intruder was intending harm ( if is armed ) or theft (if has your belongings on their person etc) you can not be prosecuted. Obviously if your dog has previously bitten anyone in the past this is another story. It's madness but I'm afraid people have been prosecuted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 toofiddie

Gremlin wrote: »
    toofiddie, thats absolutely awful, I do hope your daughter makes a full recovery. Really sorry to read that. You'll never know why patch did that. It sounds to me that patch might not have been well. When dogs go off like this for no apparent reason, some underlying issue can often be the cause.

Don't blame yourself, you did nothing wrong. You were responsible enough to be there with your daughter, you could not have know what was about to happen. God forbid, what would have happened if you were not there. Don't even want to think about that. Sadly patch had to be put to sleep. Did the vet suggest any reason?

Thanks gremlin, our daughter is in great form thank god, it's only been a day and her wounds are still quiet fresh looking, they could not stich or glue as skin was completely removed. She is a tough little girl and will be fine tg. The vet said, that it is a possible, he was unwell,but are numerous other possible reasons, smell being one, perfume, soap, herbs in food etc. But none of that applies to us.. I suppose we will always wonder. The vet also said, there is no remedy only for the dog to be put down, as after biting the dog would think this is an acceptable action for when he annoyed or bothered.. I am glad I was there as it is unbearable to imagine if I hadn't been there.. Still shocked I looked out this morning to see him as usual. Feel like we are in mourning... But our child and the safety of others comes first.. Like the first post here re the Parents putting there child over the fence. I fear if they are acting so unresponible they will not listen to warnings.. Dangling the child over the fence I fear is also teasing the dog who probably thinks it's a game.. I would def mention it to the gardai. For regardless of who's wrong or right property etc. There is always a risk with a dog and these ppl who have the child are obviously ignorant of this.. They couldn't possibly know the temperament of the dog as they do not sound like friendly neighbours! It is a hard situation for the dog owners as they are doing nothing wrong, but the parents of the child are creating it. I would informally mention it to the gardai and seek advice. It is better to be in the know rather looking back in hindsight.. A phone call could sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,448 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Toofiddie I am so sorry for what has happened to you and your child. Please know my best wishes are with ye in this difficult time. Don't blame yourself you sound like a very responsible mother, I'm sure many would leave their child unattended with dogs.

Ailiscrehan thanks for the heads up on the beware of dog sign. We always persumed we were protecting ourselves from liability if something were to happen with that sign. So you can imagine my suprise when I read your post!

Advertisement