Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proofs for Maths Paper 1

• 09-06-2011 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Anyone have any predictions on what proofs are coming up on the HL maths paper?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

+1! anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Factor theorem and a trig 1st principles i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Maclaurin?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Factor theorem and a trig 1st principles i'd say.

Not even the Quotient rule?
    Would be nice marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Factor theorem is a nice one to get, handy out.

• Advertisement

aranciata wrote: »
    Not even the Quotient rule?
    Would be nice marks.
    Possibly... I hate the the differentiation proofs though. Stupidly long winded unless you use that delta y method that I can't get my head around :(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Possibly... I hate the the differentiation proofs though. Stupidly long winded unless you use that delta y method that I can't get my head around :(

Love em but hate both De Movire's theorem ones, our teacher never did induction with us and trying to learn it without it making sense is proving difficult.

What are people predicting the split is gonna be? 1 proof on each paper? 10 mark proof on paper 1 and a 20 on paper 2? 1 trig and 1 geometry proof on paper 2?

What method is that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

though maths is far from my strong suit, and easy way for those is to just ln across the equation, and then differentiate as normal

But don't all those have to be done from first principles? I believe they do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 COOMKEEN3010

Our maths teacher rang somebody in our class two days ago to say that the quotient Rule is predicted to come up.....

kpac wrote: »
    But don't all those have to be done from first principles? I believe they do...
    They do...

The delta method is the exact same as the f(x+h) - f(x) method. It's just different notation that negates the need for special "tricks" to get it to work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Prinkle

They do...

The delta method is the exact same as the f(x+h) - f(x) method. It's just different notation that negates the need for special "tricks" to get it to work out.

You don't happen to know where I could find those online, do you? No worries if you don't, I can have a look myself. I just get mixed up beteen all the f(x+h) - f(x) ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

So what theorems just for paper 1 tomorrow do you think will come up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

hunii07 wrote: »
    So what theorems just for paper 1 tomorrow do you think will come up ?

Know this:

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ProofOfQuotientRule.html

Just so you know, I'm also learning it off for the first time now :D

It's basically take the end of first principles, fiddle with it, take away f(x)g(x) and then add it back in. Mess with it again until you get the quotient rule.

If I get a C3 in maths I'd be delighted :pac:

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Just so you know, I'm also learning it off for the first time now :D

It's basically take the end of first principles, fiddle with it, take away f(x)g(x) and then add it back in. Mess with it again until you get the quotient rule.

If I get a C3 in maths I'd be delighted :pac:

Thanks for your help... yea I'd be happy with that too .. I'm a repeat and got a D2 last yr but my teacher wasn't great.. better teacher this yr so fingers crossed.. and good luck to you too :)

Thanks for your help... yea I'd be happy with that too .. I'm a repeat and got a D2 last yr but my teacher wasn't great.. better teacher this yr so fingers crossed.. and good luck to you too :)
    What are you doing next year? Mech Engineering in UL hopefully here. I'd rather not have to do the special entrance exam.

What are you doing next year? Mech Engineering in UL hopefully here. I'd rather not have to do the special entrance exam.

I want to do primary teaching in St.Pat's, Marino , Froebel...that order ..if I don't get the points hopefully arts in NUIM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

I know it isn't an official proof, but the derivation of the formula for a sphere using integration hasn't come up since 2003. Am keeping that one in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

im doing boimedical engineerieng in UL hopefully too so weel be in the same classes for 1st year haha.

i dont want to do the special entrance exam either, i got 43 in my mocks, so after that ive been doing a maths paper practically every day, i did another mock paper a few days ago paper 1 and paper 2 and i got an average of 74%, a full 30% increase haha! my guidance counceler told me i definetly have to do the entrance exam haha i showed her!!! :P

Advertisement