Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hearing Test in Primary School - Needs consent?

• 09-06-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Should I have to sign a consent form to let my child have her hearing tested in school?

I was told yesterday that they got their hearing tested by "a nurse" - we were never told anything about it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

When Junior and Senior infants get their health checks the nurse usually sends on forms to be filled in by the parents, we send these home before the check-ups. I don't know what the story is with older children though. If parents don't return the form the nurse usually doesn't take those children, and their parents are sent an appointment to come to the local health centre instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks, when would those forms be sent home? Start of the year or.....few days before or...? It's for snr infants. Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

The note from the nurse would usually be sent home at the beginning of the year and then the children would be tested later in the year.

The note from the nurse would usually be sent home at the beginning of the year and then the children would be tested later in the year.

With maybe a consent form for the eyesight test or.....? OH seems to think we got something but usually keep copy of that stuff but can't find anything and can't remember it being about hearing.

TIA

We get them at totally random times, it depends how busy the nurse is that year, and when they get around to the school. We'd usually get the forms a few weeks before and send them home straight away. They test hearing and eyesight. It's a form to be filled in rather than a note.

• Advertisement

Yeh, just cannot remember for the life of me getting or filling a form for hearing test.

It wouldn't be specifically for the hearing test, I think it's a general set of questions - can't remember off the top of my head but there's a few pages there, it comes in an A4 brown envelope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

As a parent, I would expect consent forms and in fairness, they are always sent out. Having said that, tests for hearing by a school nurse would not be in any way invasive and purely for screening purposes. If any further, more detailed investigation was required, then the parent would of course be contacted about any onward referral. If my child had a mild, undetected hearing loss, that may affect his/her sounds/phonics/language acquisition, then I would be very grateful to be informed. If there was no issue with hearing, I would be very happy to hear that also.

If on the other hand, my child was being examined for an undescended testicle, for example, without consent, that would be an entirely different matter......

Advertisement