Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to Hollyhill??

Options
  • 09-06-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

I know there have been a few threads like this already but I just wanted to know if anyone know what the estate "The Meadows" is like in Hollyhill. There's a house up on Daft which looks alright but we're unsure of the area.

Like, will it be ok for walking the dogs at night? I'll be getting the bus late at night too after work, will it be safe to walk home around there at night?

I've also noticed it's been on daft.ie at least 3 times since last October so it gives me the impression that people haven't stayed around for long!

I know it's a stupid question as you can get trouble anywhere but I've had a few conflicting comments from friends about that area and just wanted to hear a few other opinions.

Cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

If your the type of person that can walk through town on a busy night when it's full of drunk scumbags and not get into trouble you'll be fine.
    If it was me I wouldn't waste my money on the sh*t hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hollyhill has a rep because it's right next to Knocknaheeny, but it's also right next to Shanakiel/Sunday's Well/Strawberry Hill/Blarney Road, the latter all grand areas.

Dudess wrote: »
    Hollyhill has a rep because it's right next to Knocknaheeny, but it's also right next to Shanakiel/Sunday's Well/Strawberry Hill/Blarney Road, the latter all grand areas.

Your spot on there but I think the spot that the op is on about is just by the water tower, I might be wrong though.
    I absolutely hate working up there, in fact I haven't gone near the area in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Just looking for some honest opinions. I've lived in Mahon for quite some time and what would have been considered a dodgy part but I liked it there and never got into any trouble myself.

However when I lived on the North Mall, my OH used meet me at the bus stop so that he could walk me home. Mostly because of the homeless people & drunks etc along North Main street and quays. Had a few bad experiences there.

I don't want to start a debate about Knocknaheeny or anything, just really want honest opinions. I've a few mates who work in Apple who have trouble waiting for the buscause kids gather there and throw rocks at them.. One poor fella had his head split open by a group of bored teens too. :(

I was thinking it's a fairly new estate and it's not far from Apple. The house is just lovely and I'm just thinking would it be worth any potential hassle.. As I said that house has been up on Daft a few times now over the past few months..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

To be fair, its not the best area to choose to live. But thats not to say it wouldn't be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

do NOTmove to that area . if you have kids or ever have them you are giving them a bad start living round there . keep well away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Its a nice enough estate. Know people living there. However they are originally from the area. That makes it easier. But if it has been on daft a couple of times Id be wary no matter where the house was.

I don't have kids no. What I'm looking for is a big 3/ 4 bed house with a big garden and a good sized, modern kitchen. I want a semi if not detached and that's about it. Just want a place to settle into for a few years whilst I save.

I need to find a place within two weeks as the owner of my current home (in Beaumont) wants the house back. This house in Hollyhill seems to be the only place (other than Ballincollig) that has the same kind of standard. It's also close to my OH's workplace and I can hop on the number 2 to mine.

Thanks for that Cadyboo, yeah I just noticed another one in the same estate just came up on the site so I think I'll ring up about that one instead. Do your friends like the houses? Are they actually in that estate?

I wouldn't mind living there at all, but walking a dog around there wouldn't be my cup of tea really. Have a stroll around there some evening with your boyfriend. Two of my buddies are from HollyHill and years ago when they used to walk into town (student days when taxi into town was not on the agenda) they quite often had gangs of kids having the crack by throwing stones etc at them. All good humoured enough but a pain in the arse when you are heading out. Or walking the dog for that matter.

I think a lady I know bought a house in that estate too, she is happy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Well if you plan on getting the number 2 from town expect rocks to be thrown at it on a regular basis and the bus not running when it should because of that. The amount of times I had to pay 10 euro for a taxi because of that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

A few months back drove through the area at half 12 at night to find two 9 year olds fighting each other in the middle of the street :pac:

Dont the locals call in Hollywood?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭linfield

do NOTmove to that area . if you have kids or ever have them you are giving them a bad start living round there . keep well away

What an idiotic and narrowminded thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

cork45 wrote: »
    Your spot on there but I think the spot that the op is on about is just by the water tower, I might be wrong though.
    I absolutely hate working up there, in fact I haven't gone near the area in a couple of years.

If it is by the water tower, then that is not Hollyhill. That is very much knocknaheeny. That estate in itself is not bad, but prepare you are for the speed bumps which are more like mini walls.

Haha. Where are you from chum?

Re Hollyhill/Knocknaheeny. The whole area is not as bad as one thinks. Basically stay away from Super Valu around dusk time as there are a lot of asshole teens acting the maggot there, but that is common enough for any area.

gimmick wrote: »
    If it is by the water tower, then that is not Hollyhill. That is very much knocknaheeny.

I'd say it was wishful thinking by the developer.

Can anyone confirm exactly where the estate is? I might be wrong in saying it's up by the water tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Hi there

I live quite near this estate. Its right next to the water tower which is on the back road of knocknaheeney and is not hollyhill no matter what the address says.

The back road in knocknaheeny is basically an area where there are a lot of joy riders. Now they have in recent years but in a lot of speed bumps and stuff but it still happens, so definitely not a place to go walking dogs at night

The no2 bus does go very near there, however this service has been withdrawn on a few occasions due to the buses being battered by kids and basically will go only as far as Churchfield when these restrictions are in place.

There are a lot of horses around the area due to its closeness to a halting site just off Apple. There is, and I am not exaggerating here, A LOT of poop on the footpaths all along that estate. Huge mounds of horse poop and dog poop. A lot of stray dogs as well unfortunately.

The houses are nice as they are new but to be honest I wouldnt move there.

That pretty much sums it up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

To be fair, the most homest opinion is from someone who lives there - I would agree with Dixie - also from growing up near to there and hanging around up there a few times.
    There are some really nice people in that area trying to do their best, unfortunatley I think they are out numbered by their opposites.

Thanks a million guys, love the honest responses. Thanks for taking the time to post! Really sorry if this ends up as an anti knocknaheeny thread, it's not what I wanted.

Thanks again! I think I'll still go to view the place sure and see what happens. :)

NoDice wrote: »

Thanks again! I think I'll still go to view the place sure and see what happens. :)

:eek:

For your doggies sake don't bother.
    The house will be lovely I'm sure.

It seems like one of the only options at the moment. From what I gather, the estate itself is not so rough, just the surrounding areas. One of my doggies is a German Shepherd too. Maybe if I look angry whilst walking him I'll be alright.

Ha ha ah no on a serious note though I'm caught between a rock and a hardplace at the moment. Need to move and I need to do this quick. There aren't a lot of options for me to pick and choose from and from what I hear these houses are too good to let go.

The honest posts here though have been great cause I know what to look out for now and where tobe cautious of. Wahay for Boards. :)

• Advertisement

You should be alright if you do the following things:
    Dress like a local ie: Illuminous Nike runners, t-shirt and track suit.
    Wear plenty of gold, as many rings as possible especially sovereign rings (Big one's).
    Walk like you have something stuck in your arse and it's about to fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

NoDice wrote: »
    Thanks for that Cadyboo, yeah I just noticed another one in the same estate just came up on the site so I think I'll ring up about that one instead. Do your friends like the houses? Are they actually in that estate?

Yes my friends bought their houses, in that estate. They love it, but are originally from the area so they know the people and the kids so would never get any hassle. The estate and houses are gorgeous, but I personally would not live there.

Any thought of moving to ballyvolane? Area is quite nice, north ring road is grand for walking dogs. On the no. 7 bus route, or 20min walk to town, 10mins to blackpool. Good luck in your search, hope you get something soon.

Thanks a million. Yeah fingers crossed it's been a nightmare so far trying to find a house big enough and modern enough. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm not a million miles away from you in Beaumont, and there's a house to let in our estate too. Corner house, large garden. If you're interested, I could PM you the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Certainly wasn't being anti Knocknaheeny - I know that it, like any place with problems, is made up of a majority of good people, and brought down by a minority of arseholes. And things have improved up there over the past 15 or so years. Unfortunately though, the arseholes making life miserable for people are gonna spill their crap over to some of nearby Hollyhill. Some estates are both Knocknaheeny and Hollyhill, e.g. Ardcullen.

I'm not a million miles away from you in Beaumont, and there's a house to let in our estate too. Corner house, large garden. If you're interested, I could PM you the details.

Please do! Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Hi there rebels

I'm moving with the family to cork from a county waterford village due to work/college and the OH found a place in HollyWood estate in HollyHill

Does anyone know much about this estate and is it rough? Will it be safe enough to go walking and get the bus during evenings?

Kind of getting desperate as need to move and settle by christmas & there isn't many options around in cork city

CB

Don't read the thread as I can tell you all you need to know myself in this post.
    It's lovely up there, nice and quiet with very friendly locals, evening walks are a must so you can meet them and hear their most delightful accent thats also very easy to understand.
    Oh I forgot to mention they've a fantastic bus service most of the time.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

cork45 wrote: »
    Don't read the thread as I can tell you all you need to know myself in this post.
    It's lovely up there, nice and quiet with very friendly locals, evening walks are a must so you can meet them and hear their most delightful accent thats also very easy to understand.
    Oh I forgot to mention they've a fantastic bus service most of the time.
    Enjoy.
    Sarcasm?
    I think I'll give that area a miss.
    How about Greenmount near the Lough?

• Advertisement

How about Greenmount near the Lough?

Greenmount is grand for the most part, Mount Sion road would be the "worst" part and that's grand too. Honestly, I doubt anyone would have any issue with Greenmount. Any of the parks, avenues etc off Pouladuff Rd are grand. Handy too, decent supermarket in Super Value, bank down by Musgrave Park, The Lough obviously, stones throw to the City.

Where abouts exactly in Greenmount are you thinking of?

The Cork City forum isn't the same without the posts of NoDice, hello if you're reading MsDice.

Advertisement