Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After School Care

Options
  • 09-06-2011 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I am based in north county Dublin and my little girl starts school in September, I have been looking at after school care for her.

The first creche/pre-school etc. that has come back to me has stated that the contract is for 52 weeks. Is this normal? The cost for 5 days is €122 - is this a good price.

I thought the normal contract would be for the school year September to June - you would pay the fee for holiday during this period but had a choice during the summer months to pay as you go. As I plan to hopefully work permitting take unpaid leave August of summer months.

The childcare provider she is with at the moment doesn't do drop off/pick off to the school I have enrolled her into. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As always I'm perplexed as to why things like these appear in N&F, but moved anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Spear wrote: »
    As always I'm perplexed as to why things like these appear in N&F, but moved anyway.

Whats N&F? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Newbies & FAQ.

I'm paying 120 per child per week - seems pretty standard. We have to give one month's notice to leave or lose the deposit (4 weeks).

I've never heard of a 52 week contract myself but others may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Orion wrote: »
    Newbies & FAQ.

I'm paying 120 per child per week - seems pretty standard. We have to give one month's notice to leave or lose the deposit (4 weeks).

I've never heard of a 52 week contract myself but others may have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I'm not in Dublin, but I'm paying €75 per week.

Hadn't heard of a yearly contract but our creche look to know about a month prior to school holidays as to whether the kids will be there for the summer or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Princess_Plum

Never heard of a 52 week contract before. When my little child was in day care it was a rolling month contract, just had to give them 1 months notice if she was leaving. I did have to pay for holidays to keep her place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I can understand the 52 week contract,they charge you less every week but are guaranteed the same amount every month in to their account. The notice period is also probably 1 month.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

The 52 wk contract seems common-is the case with several creches I've looked at in Dublin. 125/135 Euro per wk but then the child can go full time in the Summer for the same price and take part in their Summer camp.

My childminder expects to be paid the same when the kids are in school as when she had them all day so I looked into Creche/ after-school care which works out cheaper but with the 52 wk rule, not that much, and not worth moving them when they are happy with the childminder

Advertisement