Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Jobs?

Options
  • 09-06-2011 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to plan for my days in college this September, and the toughest part for most mature students I'm sure is the financial strain that commiting to full time college can be, especially with little or no support from others and with government support being slashed, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking I'll need to work for most if not all of the college year part-time.

I'm currently working full-time and trying to save what little I have to survive in college, but any savings wont last long sadly.

What do people plan on doing about finances? What kind of work is out there for students? Part-time work is almost harder to find than full-time work, but any ideas on agencies or websites to go to? Or is it a case of going to corner shops, pubs, cafe's etc and handing in CVs?

What's your plan? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I've lost count of the amount of jobs I've applied for over the past few weeks.
    I handed in as many CVs as I could into shops/pubs and looked online for admin/data entry jobs and applied for a good few but haven't had any look yet.
    Really feels like I'm the only person who cant find a job, under a serious amount of pressure.
    Here's a list of jobs sites from the work/jobs forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054990949

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I've worked as a doorman at a nightclub throughout my degree because I really couldn't find anything else. I wouldn't recommend it if you could get anything better, as you have to pay for training and a licence just to work in a shít job, but it could be a last resort.

As far as I know P&B security are looking for people, and I think RFC/Securit may be looking for people. Sword Event Guard may also offer some really shítty, low-paying jobs. Let me know if you'd be interested in that kind of work, but you'd have to say goodbye to your weekends and put up with a lot of bullshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah I'd be interested in anything to be honest, but not until September, I'll have to quit my current crappy job then (they don't know I'm going back to college yet, only got the job a couple of weeks ago!) but will need to find a new job on part-time basis fairly sharpish!

Is it doorman work or security guard work? Don't know if I'd fancy doorman cause of all the drunk fools and sh*t you'd put up with, but not in a position to rule anything out, I'm a big enough lad, can handle myself and all that.

Can I PM you in a couple of months about work? Think you might be able to help me out? I'd really appreciate it man.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be interested in anything to be honest, but not until September, I'll have to quit my current crappy job then (they don't know I'm going back to college yet, only got the job a couple of weeks ago!) but will need to find a new job on part-time basis fairly sharpish!

Is it doorman work or security guard work? Don't know if I'd fancy doorman cause of all the drunk fools and sh*t you'd put up with, but not in a position to rule anything out, I'm a big enough lad, can handle myself and all that.

Yeah, it's mostly doorman work, but RFC may be taking on retail security guards (shít job, shít pay, shít hours, shít co-workers, shít supervisors). I think P&B are only taking on doormen, but Sword Event Guard may take you on for events, and although the work and pay is ****, you can turn down or accept jobs at your leisure. The size is really only for presentation - I'm 5'7 and weigh 11 stone, but I've been doing it for about 5 years!
    [Jackass] wrote: »
    Can I PM you in a couple of months about work? Think you might be able to help me out? I'd really appreciate it man.

Absolutely, by all means! Feel free to ask if you have any questions, too.

Advertisement