Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tile Roof Repairs.

• 09-06-2011 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi.

Just looking for some advise. I have a shed, block built, it was built on the diving wall between two properties by the original builders, internally approx 10ft x 12 ft. The issue is that when it was built and they flashed as is standard over the wall and then continued this to under the battons on which the tiles rest. While they did put a curl the lead back on itself this was pinched by the battons. It looks like they basically attempted to build a lead gully under the roof tile battons :-). Am i right in saying this is completly incorrect. To worsen it the internal felt has been cut away where some prior genius (owner) may have attempted to examine the issue.

Could you advise on these two possible or any other possible solutions.

a: I was going to will the space between the tile edge and the flashing with cement and then paint over with a bitumen mastic the entire lenght.

b. Fill with cement and then reflash from wall to over the top of the tile (Step flashing).

c. Just step reflash the roof tiles.

Any advise would be appreciate and could anyone advise on where I would get a small amount of roofing felt/membrane rather than having to purchase 50m/

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

im lost.. is the shed built up against some sort of wall that the roof runs into as in a lean to roof?

I dont understand how when where or why at any point lead flashing is under roof battons. In a Valley of a roof the flashing is under the slate / tile bot over the battons.

Any chance of a picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Hi.

Yes you are correct, the side wall is a boundry wall, the shed leans too from front to rear as is norm and the flashing is under the battons rather than the tiles.

Pictures attached.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

The lead flashing should not be under the batons. You are going to have to lift the first couple of rows of tiles if you are going to replace the felt properly. While you have them off, take the lead from under the batons and fold it back up at the end of them to form a channel. You may have to trim the batons back to give you room to do this. It's a bit of work, but probably worth while in the long run.

There is no need to fill with cement.

The purpose of the flashing is to make a watertight seal, so if it isnt watertight its not worth doing.

The correct way to do it would be either a. step flash over the tiles with the steps fitted under the top skirt of lead or fit the lead under the tile but over the batton and in, you will need to run a piece of timber 4x1 paralell to the wall and under the felt to act as the floor of the channel and then a 3x1 or 4x1 (inch and a half if the battons are inch and a half)at the ends of the battons beside that. So, down the wall, across 3 inches or so and up over the paralell batton.

Essentially you need to create as you said a channell that when water comes down from the wall or roof flows into the channel but cannot go under the tiles across the roof felt. The channel will flow to the gutter.

Thanks for all the advise. At this time there is a 4x2 on the wall you describe. The battons are mounted approx 1" onto this with the additional space where the felt runs down. Am I correct in saying I that when finished there would be approx a 4" gully rather than the small one now as I will need to trim the roof tiles or are you saying to place piece of 3x1 on the flat to act as the floor and trim back the battons but leave the tiles the same lenght. Is this correct. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

You need to trim the batons, to allow for a four inch gully. Don't cut the tiles. Snyper suggested to put a timber support under the lead gully, but I don't know if that is necessary, if you fold the lead back up over the ends of the batons. Hope that wasn't too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Any advise would be appreciate and could anyone advise on where I would get a small amount of roofing felt/membrane rather than having to purchase 50m/

Thanks.

Homebase are selling small amounts of what they're calling "shed felt"...

Just a quick post to say thanks to everyone here, I added in a new 4x2 alone side the original and cut the batton back 50mm, reformed the flashing and now have a 40 x 40mm channel as you described and after todays torrent of rain not a drop got in so delighted.

Going to give it three weeks to dry out and then start on converting it to a small office for working from home.

Just a quick post to say thanks to everyone here, I added in a new 4x2 alone side the original and cut the batton back 50mm, reformed the flashing and now have a 40 x 40mm channel as you described and after todays torrent of rain not a drop got in so delighted.

Going to give it three weeks to dry out and then start on converting it to a small office for working from home.

happy days :)

Advertisement