Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1939-1946 Emergency Medal ribbons

• 09-06-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi lads,

Here is few pictures of my Emergency Medal ribbons. As a mainly ribbon bar collector, I have kept my eyes open even for these small items.:) Lots of fun without massive amount of money spent!:D

First at all, there is three different types of ribbons, all 32mm wide.

- Red with two white stripes - Defence Forces, Local Defence Forces, Second Line Volunteers Reserve, 26th Battalion, Maritime Inscription, Chaplaincy Service and Army Nursing Service

- Red with large single white stripe - Volunteer Aid Division x2 (one for Defence Forces and second for civilian population), Air Raid Precautions Organisations, Local Security Force.

- Blue with the white stripe - Merchant Marine.

All the medals were produced by P. Quinn Ltd. And The Jewellery and Metal Manufacturing Company at Dublin. Every medal came with the single sew ribbon bar for wearing without the full medal.

1. Regular sew ribbon bar with the two white stripes. These came normally with the medals. Sew bars are first common type of ribbon bars, especially in British Empire. Lots of other European counries followed same style early WW1.

18538381117fc3_l.jpg

2. Pinback red ribbon with the large white stripe. Looks like unoficially modified ribbon bar for every day use. This type of needle and catch with the safety system was common first to the awards from United States. Also in use on the post WW2 period Irish awards. Owner of this, probably used it a lot.

18538383720155_l.jpg

3. Two white stripes ribbon with the pin. Nice work - looks like professionaly made. Probably for a use with the blazer.

18538385461c1e_l.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Two place ribbon bar with the Emergency Medal ribbon with two white stripes and 15 years Long Service medal.

If you guys have similar ribbon bars from pre 1960-1970 period, please post them up here!

133361551d3fea_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I only posted this in the Medal Collection thread yesterday
    162196.jpg

I also have the double white stripe sew ribbon bar, plus a spare double white stripe ribbon for the medal.

Why my grandfather had the medal with both the single, and double striped ribbon I don't know! I suppose its possible he was issued with 2 medals, for service in 2 separate units, or maybe he was issued with the one medal, but two types of ribbon bar and ribbon for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I also have the double white stripe sew ribbon bar, plus a spare double white stripe ribbon for the medal.

Why my grandfather had the medal with both the single, and double striped ribbon I don't know! I suppose its possible he was issued with 2 medals, for service in 2 separate units, or maybe he was issued with the one medal, but two types of ribbon bar and ribbon for some reason.

I wonder did he receive a bar or bars to the medal that were never attached maybe and a new ribbon was issued with it.Just a guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

arnhem44 wrote: »
    I wonder did he receive a bar or bars to the medal that were never attached maybe and a new ribbon was issued with it.Just a guess.

Would it have been a common practice to issue a single stripe bar and a double stripe bar for the one medal? (with the second double stripe ribbon too). i.e if he served in maybe both the Volunteer Aid Division and FCA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I really don't know,just guessing that maybe extra ribbon or ribbon bars may off been issued at a later date with the medal bars to be attached to the medal that may of been awarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Here is my yesterday's find. This one is not made "yesterday" for collectors market - nice and old original bar to the brave man who fought during the Irish War of Independence and was still in some form of service (maybe 26th Battalion or (Local) Defence Forces) during Second World War.

- Black and Tan medal (1917-1921 Service medal)
    - The Emergency service Medal (1936-1946)

20308177bc4b52_l.jpg

Advertisement