Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions

Options
  • 09-06-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I plan on travelling solo from Cairns to Melbourne over the period of 2 months. I will then be looking for an office job in Melbourne for the rest of the year. I’ve just applied for my WHV last Monday but I just have a few more questions I’d like answered.

Regarding my visa; will I just receive an email when this has been confirmed? Also, how long does it usually take?

As for the flights; I’m looking to fly into Cairns and fly out of Melbourne. Can I book a return flight for this? Also, where is the cheapest option to book flights? I searched on skycanner.com but there doesn’t appear to be any flights flying into Cairns in September/October. I kind of like the idea of booking through a travel agent but they could be expensive. Which travel agent has the best deal? Ideally I would like to book a return flight for less than €1,200. Is this possible? It also asks me for a return date. I’m going for a year so I haven’t really decided on my return date yet. How do people go about this?
    Regarding insurance; I’ve looked on backpackertravelinsurance.ie and they appear to have a deal for €150. Has anybody used this? Is there any small print that I need to look out for? Is this a good deal?

How do backpackers go about setting up a bank account from back here in Ireland? Which is the best bank to go for? I’d like to set up an account and transfer all my money over before I leave so I can just use the ATM machines when I’m over there. I’d also like to have the option of online banking.

Finally, is it best to get a social services number straight away in Cairns or will I wait until I reach Melbourne? How do I go about getting a social services number so I can work?

Thanks to anybody who can answer these.

Comments

Advertisement