Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

topping ragworth

• 09-06-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭

i would like to know how long should i give before i let cattle back into a field that was topped with ragwort in it the fields are rushy so u would not see them all to gather up
    thanks marknjb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Is there much in it? If there is plaenty of grass I find that cattle dont bother with it. Some may disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I never pick up the ragworth after topping. We would'nt have huge amounts but I top away, particularly this time of the year before they mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I asked the vet a few years ago and she said that poisoning usually happens in two instances..
    1. Very heavily infested fields topped and left, cattle easily find plenty of them.
    2. people gather them up into a heap in the corner of a field to rot and the cattle get at them there and eat a feed of them..

She said that light infestations can be topped and cattle will be OK... I presume if there is a good covering of grass they would be even less likely to eat them...

Anything has to be better than pulling them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

bbam wrote: »
    I asked the vet a few years ago and she said that poisoning usually happens in two instances..
    1. Very heavily infested fields topped and left, cattle easily find plenty of them.
    2. people gather them up into a heap in the corner of a field to rot and the cattle get at them there and eat a feed of them..

She said that light infestations can be topped and cattle will be OK... I presume if there is a good covering of grass they would be even less likely to eat them...

Anything has to be better than pulling them :(
    topping doesnt get rid of them though... pulling or spraying is the only way.... when the ragworth are dying/dead they are very palatable , if there's only a few theres not a problem but heavy infestation could prove fatal:D as i now know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I find it's better to let the plant flower up. That way it's easier to pull them up. Usually around August or so. Very hard to pull them at this time of year as they break up. I'd worry that of you spray them, the cattle would still eat them, as they become more palatible.
    I've always pulled them and I have little if any now.

I've never seen cattle eat growing ragwort only dead ones.

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    I find it's better to let the plant flower up. That way it's easier to pull them up. Usually around August or so. Very hard to pull them at this time of year as they break up. I'd worry that of you spray them, the cattle would still eat them, as they become more palatible.
    I've always pulled them and I have little if any now.

I've never seen cattle eat growing ragwort only dead ones.
    i cant walk by a ragworth without pulling it:rolleyes: thats why sometimes it takes me ages to count the cattle:o only time to spray them is march or october/november..... absolutely hate when the roots dont come up when you pull then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    absolutely hate when the roots dont come up when you pull then

It works best when the ground is damp... or wet as is more usually the case round these parts..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

As whelan1 mentioned, it's when it's dead that ragworth is the most palatable, and therefore dangerous.

Was there much in the field you topped? If there was quite a bit, I'd look to go (or get someone) to pick up as much as possible before letting the cattle out. That way the risk is minimised. Again, as was posted before, it's best to pull them if at all possible (leaving the pulled bits out of the field somewhere the cattle can't reach).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭marknjb

convert wrote: »
    As whelan1 mentioned, it's when it's dead that ragworth is the most palatable, and therefore dangerous.

Was there much in the field you topped? If there was quite a bit, I'd look to go (or get someone) to pick up as much as possible before letting the cattle out. That way the risk is minimised. Again, as was posted before, it's best to pull them if at all possible (leaving the pulled bits out of the field somewhere the cattle can't reach).
    not an awfull lot but its in amoungst grassey rushes . i thought someone might know how long after their cut the poision goes out of them

marknjb wrote: »
    not an awfull lot but its in amoungst grassey rushes . i thought someone might know how long after their cut the poision goes out of them
    imo never

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mf690

Has anyone ever seen or used a ragwort fork. Supposed to make pulling ragwort very easy. The only way to get rid of ragwort is to pull it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

mf690 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen or used a ragwort fork. Supposed to make pulling ragwort very easy. The only way to get rid of ragwort is to pull it .
    http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/paddock-grass-seed-paddock-accessories/pid16016/cid1301/ragwort-fork.asp?source=webgains&utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=webgains_aff_id25012

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mf690

Thanks for 24 quid or so will give it a try small money to save the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Don Juan DeMagoo

Horrible job but picking them is the only way. I know a muppet who topped whole fields of it and let in the animals soon thereafter, well you can guess the rest.
    If you top them the sugar content goes up so making them easier for the animals to eat them whereas if you just leave them stand the animals won't eat them.
    First year of picking them is a pain but the next year is much easier as you are just picking the stragglers.

After picking them, employ good stock rotation and that will keep them at bay. Try picking them before the start to seed and burn them soon after. Spaying is a waste of your money imho.

Hold them as close as you can to the roots and pull. If you don't get the roots out they come back stronger the subsequent year.

Hope this helps.

Ah memories as a kid ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

mf690 wrote: »

There is an ancient one at home somewhere. It differs from the one in the link previous, in having only 2 tines, not unlike those on a nailbar only longer, and a heel to lever up the plant.
    I dunno were they ever that popular. Most people just pull them before they go to seed. The wetter the ground the better for pulling them.

Anyone with sheep have a problem with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Horrible job but picking them is the only way. I know a muppet who topped whole fields of it and let in the animals soon thereafter, well you can guess the rest.
    If you top them the sugar content goes up so making them easier for the animals to eat them whereas if you just leave them stand the animals won't eat them.
    First year of picking them is a pain but the next year is much easier as you are just picking the stragglers.

After picking them, employ good stock rotation and that will keep them at bay. Try picking them before the start to seed and burn them soon after. Spaying is a waste of your money imho.

Hold them as close as you can to the roots and pull. If you don't get the roots out they come back stronger the subsequent year.

Hope this helps.

Ah memories as a kid ;)

You are dead right. Few of my fields over past three years have been badly infected with the damn thing. I have pulled them with vengance three years in a row. I just make a big pile of them in the yard. Cover with plastic, to prevent any seeds gettin blown around. They eventually rot down to muck.

Looks like I have them 90% beaten. Very few showing this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

For a heavy infestation on a lot of ground area and I hadnt time to pull
    I would graze weed lick with roundup top 2 or 3 weeks later and keep cattle out for month

i spent an hour this morning pulling them:rolleyes: not as many around as other years... hate hate hate ragworth:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

Remember to wear gloves when pulling ragworth, as the plants are also poisonous to humans and the toxins can enter the bloodstream through the skin.:eek:

Upstream wrote: »
    Remember to wear gloves when pulling ragworth, as the plants are also poisonous to humans and the toxins can enter the bloodstream through the skin.:eek:
    yup... who ever invented ragworth should be shot:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Hope this helps.

Ah memories as a kid ;)

I was always taught the same as a kid.
    We have very little ragworth.
    I find slurry is the worst spreader of weeds.

I find that Cow Parsley is the biggest problem these days, especially after 2-3 bad summers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Be very careful with ragwort , I used a brushcutter on them one time... not realising how dangeropus the sap is.....within a day my arms were cover in blisters which took a long long time to heal.

Gridlock wrote: »
    Be very careful with ragwort , I used a brushcutter on them one time... not realising how dangeropus the sap is.....within a day my arms were cover in blisters which took a long long time to heal.

Do you not mean cow parsley/hogweed rather than ragworth?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

Do you not mean cow parsley/hogweed rather than ragworth?

Not so sure about cow parsley - I believe some people can have an allergic reaction.

But, the sap in ragworth is extremly toxic - can do all sorts of damage to certain vital organs in both man and beast.

Only way is to pull and burn.

Also, talk to your neighbours, we had one in particular who used never use a topper - feckin' stuff spread like a disease into our land bounding his...

Big_Evil wrote: »
    Not so sure about cow parsley - I believe some people can have an allergic reaction.

But, the sap in ragworth is extremly toxic - can do all sorts of damage to certain vital organs in both man and beast.

Only way is to pull and burn.

Also, talk to your neighbours, we had one in particular who used never use a topper - feckin' stuff spread like a disease into our land bounding his...

Cow Parsley Sap cause Pyro Dermatitis (sap is caustic an activated by UV Light)
    It is the biggest cause of Human burns from strimmers.
    Most strimming is done on sunny days so it's a winning formula.

We pulled all ragwort back in the 80's. and since only wintering beef cattle the pasture is meadow in summer, Ragworth thrives in grazing pasture.

Advertisement