Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sim card for gsm dialer

Options
  • 09-06-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Which is the best provider for a pay as you go sim?

Just want one that can be topped up whenever it needs to be and doesnt lose the credit if not used

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

The sim to use would depend on the signal you receive where you want the GSM installed. If you use a ready to go sim. Register it on line, then you will receive a text with a code to use as a password so you can check the credit plus top it up on line without having to remove the sim every time you need to do same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

But is there any difference between the different mobile phone companies when it comes to how long the credit lasts and the minimum top up amounts?

I had a look on the Meteor site and it says that there is no expiration date on top ups, but I don't know if that means the credit doesn't expire or that the top up code you might buy in a shop is always valid.

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/pay_as_you_go/tud_faqs/#1j

Anyone know for sure? How about the other companies?

For O2, you have to either top up or make a chargeable use (presume sending a text message from GSM unit counts) every six months or the account is suspended.

I am not sure what the differences are with each of the company's but when you top up or ring the top up number it gives the details of how long you can make and receive calls with the credit on Vodafone. You do need to top up to keep the sim alive for use on Vodafone. As with using a GSM you should be testing the unit to make sure it is working so this will also let you know if there are any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Frank11

i would like to get a GSM Dialer fitted to my alarm system. Can anybody give an idea of price for the unit and is there any ongoing costs apart from the sim card top ups?

Once you buy the unit and have it installed then there should be no more cost except for the sim card top ups. The GSM would depend on the system you want to use it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

got the dialer fitted on Tue. Got a sim card from O2, worked first time. Have it registered online so I can check the remaining credit remotely.

The unit fitted was a SATEL T2 GSM/GPRS AND TEXT COMMUNICATOR

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    got the dialer fitted on Tue. Got a sim card from O2, worked first time. Have it registered online so I can check the remaining credit remotely.

The unit fitted was a SATEL T2 GSM/GPRS AND TEXT COMMUNICATOR

Thanks for getting back to us, it is a very good unit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

altor wrote: »

Hi,

I'm wondering can someone point me in the right direction:
    We are considering electric gates as we cannot see the driveway and for security:)
    What I was looking at is a Comelit Style 5, ACT10 (was talking to REW and they recommended it as the act5 could just be smacked off the wall) and combined with a kit from theelectricgateshop.co.uk ,

Would anyone recommend an install or would it be a lot cheaper to install it myself?

Thanks in advance

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Hi,

We are considering electric gates as we cannot see the driveway and for security:)
    What I was looking at is a Comelit Style 5, ACT10 (was talking to REW and they recommended it as the act5 could just be smacked off the wall) and combined with a kit from theelectricgateshop.co.uk ,

Would anyone recommend an install or would it be a lot cheaper to install it myself?

Thanks in advance

The difference is the ACT 5 is surface and the ACT 10 is flush into the pillar. It is always going to be cheaper to self install.

It was chosen by the installer so i wasn't sure how good it was. Got a few wireless pir's in aswell so the whole house now is fully secure. I was driving behind one of your vans yesterday afternoon from leixlip towards kill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks in advance

The ACT 5 is plastic and the ACT 10 is steel. Both work well but I only use the ACT 5 indoors, just my preference. Both units are surface mount.
    I would seriously look at the ACT entry panel or the comelit powercom panel.
    Both of these units have the intercom and keypad integrated in to one panel.
    This is much neater and will look far better than a style 5 and act10 together

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    It was chosen by the installer so i wasn't sure how good it was. Got a few wireless pir's in aswell so the whole house now is fully secure. I was driving behind one of your vans yesterday afternoon from leixlip towards kill

Thats good as they are always handy to have as a back up.
    You are liable to see the van anywhere :D
    Did you see the lunatic who over took me and the learner, hope it was not you Lex :D

Did you see the lunatic who over took me and the learner, hope it was not you Lex :D

Ya he was nuts...!!! :o

Advertisement