Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Blackbird flew into window

• 09-06-2011 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

It was lashing rain earlier and a Backbird flew straight into the kitchen window. It was just lying there so I picked it up , put it into a box and left it in the shed for an hour or so.

I then let it go out the back, hoping it would fly away. Instead it just hopped into a bush. There's loads of stray cats around so it;s chances of survival without being able to fly is pretty slim I reckon.

I caught it again and have it in the shed.

What should I do? Let it go again and leave it to it's fate? Call the DSPCA?
    Would the DSPCA even care about a single Blackbird?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

It might just be stunned and disorientated, leave some water. The DSPCA will probably tell you to bring it to a vet to be euthanised. See if you can borrow a bird cage a keep it confined in there with some birdseed and water. give it a couple of days and then let it go, if it doesn't fly off then it may be best to bring it to a local vet who will humanely euthanise it. Saves it haveing a worse fate at the claws of the local cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Cheers Gremlin,

I wouldn't like to see it killed, or know it's going to be killed if I let it go.
    I had a careful feel of it's wings and there is nothing obviously wrong with it.
    I'll find some worms for it and give it some water and keep it for a day or two so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Cut an apple in half for it, blackbirds love apples. It might nibble some porridge flakes, too.
    Hope it's just stunned and will be ready to fly off soon. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hi lastlaugh, as cruel as it sounds when i was younger i used to catch young jackdaws and sometimes crow's... :o is it a crow or a jackdaw?

Anyway either of them will be fine with a bowl of water, and put in a slice of white bread and i can guarantee tomorrow it will be fine, leave him locked in for the night to keep him safe and in the morning he will be fine to fly away.

and to add to this the birds i cught as a youngster(i dont know why i done it) but i always cared for them and they always grew up and flew away after a week or so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Blackbird fledglings leave the nest before they can fly properly and spend about 6-10 days on the ground hiding in bushes shrubs etc the parents still feed them but it is the most dangerous time for them as they are so vulnerable to cats other birds etc. Iv read feeding them Tinned puppy food is the best thing and leaving a shaloe dish of water. If you have any hedges or thick shrubs you can hide him in and watch to see if the parents are still feeding it. If not you could keep it in shed and let it out for supervised garden time until the tail feathers grow in fully and it can fly. I had nest of chicks here that iv been watching and the chicks fledged while I was out within few hours two we already dead most likely crows the other two are tucked into my hedge and I see the parents feeding them. Hope they make it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

I left it in the shed with some water and an apple last night.

He seemed to have liked the apple.

When I checked on it this morning I noticed a female Blackbird hanging around outside. I opened up the shed and let young bird out.

Sure enough, it hopped straight over to the the mother who was waiting with a big fat worm for it!

Hopefully it's able to take off soon.

Advertisement