Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you have a magical "S" on your licence

Options
  • 08-06-2011 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

i rang the local GS station there a few mins ago about when they would be there so i could hand in the application. He asked a few questions which i expected but when he asked about the mod i told him i applied for it on the form, he said no there is a separate form you need to fill out for the mod? all new thing now?! anyone dealt with this lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There's not. There's a box you tick on the FCA1 form. Explain that, show him in person and there's not much else he can say. You may be required to provide written explanation for why you want the mod, but a letter is not a form either.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

yea i have the box ticked and letter attached stating why i want it so should be all good! just found it odd that he said it? thought they changed it without letting on!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

whiteley91 wrote: »
    ............... when he asked about the mod i told him i applied for it on the form, he said no there is a separate form you need to fill out for the mod? ..............

I've heard about this before, but nothing recently.

Some Garda Stations are printing out their own "application" forms to accompany the individuals FCA1. It is not part of the FCA1 nor is it required, but as anyone filling in an FCA1 and wants a mod they must provide a letter with the reason why. It would appear to me that the Gardai (or some of them) are using this form to ask all the questions that are not asked on the FCA1.

As said it is not required for you to fill it in. Ticking the box and giving a short description of the resasons you are seeking a mod is the "legal" way of doing it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I recently got a mod for a .223. I had to write a letter and get 2 more letters off farmers and then get another letter from my doctor saying it was for my hearing. Basically the letters from the farmers were to say that I had permission to shoot on their lands but they didn’t want me to cause a disturbance to their livestock or those of their neighbors’ so they wanted me to use a sound moderator.

I also said on my letter that as most of the shooting I do is at night or early morning and I didn’t want to cause a disturbance, I said I could use hearing protection but it wasn't suitable as I wanted to be fully aware of my surroundings when out shooting in the countryside. I didn’t give them too many reasons as to why I needed a Mod because I felt that the more reasons I gave, the more reasons they would have to refuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Here's a question.

If you have previously applied for a moderator via letter to your super with the old system of licensing and have been granted permission in the past (ie before the new style licenses) and you renew your license and get the little "S" on your license.

Do you still Require a separate Letter of Permission from your local Super ??

Was told by a few people if you have an "S" on your license you dont need
    a letter of permission from the Super.

However I had the guards arrive on my door step one night a while back asking to inspect my moderator and they told me I needed a letter of permission. (A few weeks later they arrived to the house to give me a letter signed for 3 years until my license needed renewing)

Beg's the question if you already are issued your license and you are already
    given permission for the moderator after filling in the forms and getting the "S" on the license if you actually still need an additional letter of approval.

~B

• Advertisement

bullets wrote: »

NO.

The "S" on your license is all the authorisation you need. The "S" is recorded on PULSE hence the reason it is printed on your license. A letter from your Super is not recorded on PULSE and if you have this letter with no "S" on your license, and a Garda outside of your locality inspects your license and sees no "S" then he is within his right to "cause you grief". A letter may subside this problem, but as it is not "valid" it may not suffice.

As you said the "S" on your license and the box to tick on the FCA1 was thought up to replace the letter from your Super, and give any Garda the immediate indication that you are authorised to hold a mod.

I really cannot stress enough to anyone that has a letter, but no "S" to have the license amended to include the "S".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Nice to know!

Previously with myself before the new licenses I had to ask for a letter each year for a moderator, and after the first year my requests/letters and Phone calls were not replied to or ignored or I got the whole hes in court/not available/off today routine.

I honestly think that this year when the Gardai arrived out to my house it was in response to them seeing unanswered letters dated over a few years ago
    when they got a brand new Super in the station who finally started to look at
    stuff in more detail.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

bullets wrote: »
    Here's a question.

If you have previously applied for a moderator via letter to your super with the old system of licensing and have been granted permission in the past (ie before the new style licenses) and you renew your license and get the little "S" on your license.

Was told by a few people if you have an "S" on your license you dont need
    a letter of permission from the Super.

However I had the guards arrive on my door step one night a while back asking to inspect my moderator and they told me I needed a letter of permission. (A few weeks later they arrived to the house to give me a letter signed for 3 years until my license needed renewing)

Beg's the question if you already are issued your license and you are already
    given permission for the moderator after filling in the forms and getting the "S" on the license if you actually still need an additional letter of approval.

~B
    yea i also have a 3 year letter stating permission of a mod on firearm serial no ******** and not use it to cause harm to humans and all that crack on it

Laws/rules/guidelines in the Irish system are like Chinese Whispers :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers
    "The player at the beginning of the line thinks of a phrase, and whispers it as quietly as possible to his or her neighbor. The neighbor then passes on the message to the next player to the best of his or her ability. The passing continues in this fashion until it reaches the player at the end of the line, who calls out the message he or she received.

If the game has been 'successful', the final message will bear little or no resemblance to the original, because of the cumulative effect of mistakes along the line."

~B

I've an "S" on my License for a moderator for my .17HMR.

What exactly does this mean with regards to what I can and cannot do with regards staying within the law when it comes to moderators for my licensed rifle.

Previous to this little "S" I've had a letter to hold one
    (as in a single) SAK moderator for use on my rifle. The letter was very
    restrictive as it mentioned the brand, size and dimensions of the moderator
    This letter meant I could not change or buy an alternative brand moderator
    for my rifle.
    If I wanted to discard my SAK brand moderator due to me not being happy with it or wear and tear and get a
    Parker Hale instead to see if it was better it meant I would not be authorized because of the wording in my letter of permission.

Now that I have this magical "S" printed on my license what does this mean???? if I walk into a gun dealer in the morning and ask about moderators ?

Will a gun dealer sell me any moderator I want because I have an "S" on my license ? or what will a gun dealer now look for when someone walks in
    off the street and wants to buy a mod ?

Is it legal to own more than one moderator when you have an "S" on your license ? can I buy 3 different brands now for my one licensed rifle ?
    or are you restricted to one per rifle ?

What does this little "S" stamped on your license let you do within the Law ?

It does not mention the Make/Brand or number of silencers/moderators that you can have in your possession for your rifle ?

What are we entitled to do or not to do with the magic S

~B

• Advertisement

None of the following should be misconstrued as legal advice.

The "S" on your license allows you, under law, to own, hold, possess, and use a moderator. The make/brand is irrelevant. The only concern or restriction would be that the moderator can only be used in conjunction with the rifle license the "S" is on. In other words you could not get a 30 cal mod for your .308 and think the .17 license with the "S" would cover you. Thats straight forward enough, but i'm just saying it to be clear.

A firearms dealer is clear to sell you any mod you want, however the responsbility to have it licensed is up to you. Realistically you could own mulitple mods or replace one with another of the same caliber so long as you have one, and only one, on the firearm or your person at any one time. So if you had a Sak, Parker Hale, Roedale, Ase, etc mods at home and wanted to go out. You pick one and use it and you are covered. However if for some bizarre reason you decide to bring out 2/3/4 mods and interchange them (weird i know, but humour me) then you would need authorisation or multiple licenses with an "S" on each one to cover you.

Some of that sounds blatantly obvious, while some sounds "odd". Its a mixture of law and my own interpretation of how that applies. I could be wrong. All i can say to be 100% correct is, if you have a rifle license with an "S" on it the Gardai do not care what the brand is or how many you may have at home just that you are licensed to carry, and use a mod which the "S" on your license proves.

Merging this thread and the "Something New" thread so as to "centralise all the info. Plus it makes for easier reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

I applied for a mod for the .223 application I handed in 4 weeks ago and I was told to just tick the box and in the space under it write why you want it, no separate letter required.

I also find it amusing that people can get uppity when you refer to it as a silencer but it is down on the forum as a silencer! Not a moderator! :P

4 weeks down....hopefully not long to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Arcto wrote: »
    I applied for a mod for the .223 application I handed in 4 weeks ago and I was told to just tick the box and in the space under it write why you want it, no separate letter required.

I also find it amusing that people can get uppity when you refer to it as a silencer but it is down on the forum as a silencer! Not a moderator! :P

4 weeks down....hopefully not long to go.

They are also often referred to as "weapons" by the PTB and we refer to them correctly as "Firearms"

Social etiquette my boy,or if you prefer "firearm etiquette" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Hehe, more etiquette: A gun is what you call an artillery piece. We used to get shouted at for making that mistake in the free clothing association :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Would be nice if that little S was expanded on to remove such confusion. I have both an S and grant letter. They both come with no problems so I let them off on their merry way.

Advertisement