Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brothers in Arms: Watch a franchise get raped into the ground

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I thought it looked fun and am interested.

But we wont get to play similar missions to those in Medal of Honor (all 15 of them) and Call of Duty 1-3 with a brief stopover in World at War.

new is good, embrace it, its got a tomohawk flinging Indian butchering Nazis, sold! who cares if its heavily influenced by Inglorious Bastards? most games are massively influenced by movies anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

If any of you had the misfortune to sit through the cutscenes in the BIA Trilogy then this looks like a most welcome storyline.

My God those cutscenes were dreadful, the horror, the horror...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

krudler wrote: »
    But we wont get to play similar missions to those in Medal of Honor (all 15 of them) and Call of Duty 1-3 with a brief stopover in World at War.

new is good, embrace it, its got a tomohawk flinging Indian butchering Nazis, sold! who cares if its heavily influenced by Inglorious Bastards? most games are massively influenced by movies anyway

haha thats what I was thinking!

"I wanna play that guy" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

seriously, why attach the brothers in arms name, it dosn't represent it at all, it could of been a standalone game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

krudler wrote: »
    Am I the only person that wold rather play that than another WW2 clone snorefest that got old back around Call of Duty 2?

Have you even played BIA, because it's nothing like COD and it's game mechanics are pretty much unique.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

oh Gearbox, you'll never be Valve, stop trying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's one thing to take inspiration from another medium as your source, it's another just to shamelessly rip it off. (Yet at the same time bizarrely unable / unwilling to use the real Nazi logo, weird) And then compound it all by attaching a completely unsuitable & inappropriate franchise's name to it. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Disappointed.

I liked the seriousness of the last few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

I don't understand why they are using the Brothers in Arms brand. It's not a big name game like Call of Duty, sticking BiA on the box isn't going to gurantee millions of copies sold. All it's going to do is disappoint fans of the series. It could still be a good game on it's own merits but it isn't going to be the squad based shooter I liked from before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Another game dumbed down for the console market. ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stuckin

Jaysus. What an absolute slap in the face of all the BiA fans.

I didn't play BiA because it was just a WW2 shooter, I played it because it placed emphasis on team mechanics. Until those games came out I had never seen a suppressive fire mechanic. The story line in it was decent enough, it followed historical events and had some great graphics to boot.

This is a mockery of what liked about the game. It takes all the parts of the series I liked and puts in all the crap from the other style of games I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Sisko wrote: »

You realise it was developed as a multi platform game right?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Personally have no sentimental attachment to the BiA franchise, so as a standalone game, I'd be intrigued. I like games with a decent sense of humour.

That said it's a fairly shítty treatment of fans. For me it'd be like seeing Bioware release "Futurama Effect" in lieu of another game in the canon ME universe.
    At the end of the day it's the fans that provide that sense of security that comes with a new game in an established franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

That looks f*cking awful, and I'm pretty much offended by it, I'd go as far to say.

So long tactical squad based gameplay, hello COD WWII Tarantino Edition

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't see how this is a slap in the face of the fans at all. They've said that they will be focusing on a proper BIA game now. They're just trying something different. And if this works out, they'll have two franchises to give players. We can't actually lose.

Also, how exactly is the game dumbed down for the console market? We don't have any footage. All we know is that it's got a different style. The only assumption we can make is that it's a WW2 version of Borderlands or Left 4 Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

humanji wrote: »
    The only assumption we can make is that it's a WW2 version of Borderlands

Oh God No!

Anyways, 2 Franchises sounds good as long as they are still making the tactical squad based games, I really liked the last few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

JayEnnis wrote: »
    You realise it was developed as a multi platform game right?

Eh yeah I know? :confused:
    humanji wrote: »

Also, how exactly is the game dumbed down for the console market? We don't have any footage. All we know is that it's got a different style. The only assumption we can make is that it's a WW2 version of Borderlands or Left 4 Dead.

Well thats what I mean, naturally I can't comment on the gameplay but the style itself is dumbed down - good old ww2 aint good enough for us kiddies it seems - us dumb mindless gamers just wanna see stupid badass characters.

Theres no one that has a lower opinion of console gamers it would seem then games producers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Are there any gameplay vids ? Or is everyone having a **** over a trailer ?

Thread a couple above(Below now :D) this about how developers are constantly rehashing games with sequels and as soon as one of them try something different everyone spits their dummies out...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,328 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The game looks pretty good to me, they just shouldn't have called in Brothers in Arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

The game looks pretty good to me, they just shouldn't have called in Brothers in Arms.

I reckon they needed the name to ramp up the hype. If it was on its own I doubt there'd be the likes of a four page discussion on Boards over it! Could have flown under the radar otherwise, who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They should have called it Fabulous **** and it would have had a better response and a longer thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Sisko wrote: »
    it hasn't been, It was already on them, also its not a simple dumbing down, its an entire new take, besides the ww2 setting its completley changed...

.lets hope its just a sick joke

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Could also be a great big red herring of course.

It's a good idea if true: Attach the name of a completely inappropriate franchise to your otherwise-forgettable game (which inevitably, it will be). Sit back and watch the free coverage & marketing it gets as fanboys across the internet get their knickers in a twist. Then, conveniently, decide to drop the "Brothers in Arms" moniker at the last minute to apparently placate the angered hordes; then admire a job well done of getting some free publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

So long as they make a real one I don't mind, best WW2 series made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

I have no interest in the BIA franchise, Im simply commenting to say that, OP, the term ''Raped into the ground'' is one of the most beautiful pieces of English I have ever heard. Thank you! :D

Advertisement