Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - Opinions wanted :-)

Options
  • 10-06-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the early stages of a new build. It's for my home office but I want something fairly decent. What I'm thinking of will be overkill for what I'm going to do with it in the beginning but I want to have a bit fun with it too and keep my options open :D

Here's what I've been thinking of :

Cooler Master Haf-X case
    Corsair HX750 PSU
    Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Mobo rather than the P8P67 (when ever they are available)
    Intel i7-2600k (already bought)
    Intel 320 Series 160GB SSD (alread bought)
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8 GB

Parts not decided on yet :

Graphics card
    Mechanical HDD's for storage
    Thermal paste
    CPU fan & cooler, will change from stock Intel one incase I decide to overclock

I also have a few questions :

If I use the SSD as a boot / OS drive, can I still set up 2 x mechanical HDD's to run raid ?
    Also not sure about which version of Windows 7 to go for, is there any benefit going for the Pro or Ultimate versions ?
    If I want to run 2 x LCD screens, do I have to have an SLI or CrossFire setup or can I do this from 1 card ?

As it's half 12 and I should be in the cot, I'm probably forgetting something vital so I'd be very grateful for any feedback and advice.

Thanks,

Richie.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Also not sure about which version of Windows 7 to go for, is there any benefit going for the Pro or Ultimate versions ?
    Richie.
    Without getting into Pro Versus Ultimate, your cheapest option is with software4students, I always go for Pro @€45.45 delivered.
    Not sure whether the premium for Ultimate is worth it...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭richieoflynn

Is that not just an upgrade as in, do I have to have XP or Vista already loaded or can I install this on a blank ssd ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

if you install the os on the ssd, then you will have no problem setting the raid for 2 or more mechanical hdd's etc for storage.
    you can either do hardware raid, or software raid through windows.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

-Raid will work fine.
    -You can install an upgrade version of windows from scratch, just google :)
    -Pretty much any GPU can run multiple monitors without a problem.

You seem to have a pretty high budget, so a 6970 would be a decent GPU. That PSU is enough to handle a second one in crossfire later down the line as well.

Thanks for the info fellas. That GPU looks the business alright. Must look into it when I get a chance later. Will also google what you said about the Windows install :)

• Advertisement

Ordered up some parts today. Here's what's on the way...

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Motherboard
    Coolermaster HAF-X Tower
    Corsair HX850W Modular Power Supply
    2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black Sata 6Gb
    HP Bluray DVDRW Optical Drive
    MSI 1280MB GeForce GTX 570 OC Nvidia GPU
    Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom Ultra Performance Cooler
    8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM

Also ordered Win 7 Pro 64bit 'upgrade' as recommended ;)

Looking forward to the build now, can't wait !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Ordered up some parts today. Here's what's on the way...

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Motherboard
    Coolermaster HAF-X Tower
    Corsair HX850W Modular Power Supply
    2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black Sata 6Gb
    HP Bluray DVDRW Optical Drive
    MSI 1280MB GeForce GTX 570 OC Nvidia GPU
    Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom Ultra Performance Cooler
    8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz RAM

Also ordered Win 7 Pro 64bit 'upgrade' as recommended ;)

Looking forward to the build now, can't wait !!!

Looks good, did you order a cpu too btw? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just install the OS via booting the DVD drive, when it comes to the part where you put in the serial number leave it blank, this will default as a 30 day trial, when you boot up windows a short time later you can then activate with the serial number on the back of the DVD and that's it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Thanks for the replies lads. BTW I already have a cpu :D Got an i7-2600k and an Intel 320 Series 160GB hard drive. Brother works for Intel so I got 'mates rates' !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Looks like a tasty build.

• Advertisement

Well lads, the parts arrived earlier in the week and to be honest, I spent a good many hours putting things together. It's a bit daunting sticking over €1000 worth of parts together and you're double checking everything and checking again and re-routing cables, it's great fun :D Heartbeat was up a good bit just before I pressed the on button !!!

I have everything functional as it should be from what I can see. No issues with loading Windows 7 Pro upgrade except it didn't take the serial number, I had to change a registry key before it would accept it. The ssd is unreal, no clicking and clunking and is super fast. Had some issues setting up RAID 1 but after a bit of time on Google, found out what my problem was. I was getting a bsod on boot up and there was a Microsoft fix available to sort this out. Hard part was finding the info. Here's the link, I'm sure more people have had this problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

She's running on default settings at the moment, have to tidy up the cables and close up the case and I'll have a bit more of a play with it later. Will put up some pics too just to show off my handy-work !

Advertisement