Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disco II or Landcruiser

Options
  • 10-06-2011 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a 4x4 and have narrowed it down i think to a Discovery Series II or a Landcruiser,

I have about 4 or 4.5k to spend on one.

Basically i want it for a bit of off roading at the weekends, prob will fit a roof rack, winch, spots etc to it. Need her to be excellent in deep snow for getting accross the mountains in the middle of winter,
    Will fit mud terrain tyres to it and want a good bit of load space in the rear to fit a small stove and a few bits so i can cook in it etc if i am out for a few days,

Initially i thought a Disco II as i can easily get parts for it and fairly cheap, It looks well so would do everything i want, However i was reading that some of the earlier Disco II models have no center diff lock etc, also they appear to be very unreliable,

Then of course there is the landcruiser (old model), the engines are rock solid and i cant imagine one giving any trouble, I know a few guys with over 200k miles on them and no issues. However off road accesories for them seem to non existant,

Anyone any advice on what truck i should get. I want something that looks well for work, drives great off road, super reliable and cheap and easy to fix if anything goes wrong, Any thoughts???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

As much as it pains me to say it, for reliability go for the Landcruiser. The Disco's mechanicals are very reliable, it's the small things that go wrong that add up, especially if it's not been properly maintained.

When Land Rover bought out the D2, they thought that with ETC, ABS and HDC the centre difflock wasn't needed. This caused a bit of an outcry and it was available as on option later. On many, the internals are all there and you need a kit to make it work.

The Disco will be more comfortable, especially if you get an air suspension model. You are right about the cheap parts and big range of toys for the Disco. A lot of kit is available for the Landcruiser but as it comes from Germany, USA or Australia it tends to be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Any ideas where to even look for off road toys for a Landcruiser,

Ye i like the Discos alright and i can get a 02 Disco for the same price as a 98 Landcruiser,

But if odd things are going to keep cropping up i would fast run out of money and thats not the way i want to go, I want a truck that will run and run but still be top notch off road,

It seems crazy that they took away the diff lock etc from the Disco,

I think the Disco 1 may be a nice machine also but may look a little old to attend meeting in, also i cant seem to find a good solid one anywhere,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Still loads of Disco 1s around but usually sporting large amounts of hidden body rot :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No contest if you want reliability, Land cruiser is way better

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement