Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting excused from Jury Duty

• 10-06-2011 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I got called for jury duty (circuit court) next month.
    I'm 20 and a full time student.

I'm currently working part-time, but with no lectures until September, I am getting regular full-time hours in work. (36hrs a week)
    I've been told that, as a part-time worker, I won't be paid for any time spent at court duty as I just won't be rostered to work those days.

Basically I can't afford to lose up to 2 weeks pay to sit on a Jury, as come September, I'll go back to working 10 hrs max a week.

Is this loss of earnings a valid excuse for being excused?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

just go in the first day and say you know the accused and you will be excused from the duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Massy just ended the thread. It is as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

or just say your racist lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭autonomy

massy086 wrote: »
    just go in the first day and say you know the accused and you will be excused from the duty

Do you have to prove this or do they just take your word?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

seanybiker wrote: »
    Massy just ended the thread. It is as simple as that.

Not necessarily. You could be asked to come back another day because if the first trial falls through there'll be another jury needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Shave your head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

full time student
    That is grounds to be excused on it's own. Go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

blue-army wrote: »

I'm currently working part-time, but with no lectures until September, I am getting regular full-time hours in work. (36hrs a week)
    I've been told that, as a part-time worker, I won't be paid for any time spent at court duty as I just won't be rostered to work those days.

Basically I can't afford to lose up to 2 weeks pay to sit on a Jury, as come September, I'll go back to working 10 hrs max a week.

Cheers!

Just tell them that you can't do it because you can't afford to lose the money, if they say that's no good tell them to go fúck themselves, i doubt they will argue to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Shave your head!

...and wear a hoodie. If asked any questions, start off by saying "Starry Budddd".

There's not a chance in hell you'll be picked for jury duty then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Just tell them, that you believe in some cosmic power and the faith of the accused will be chosen by flipping you’re lucky coin...so you’re going to flip it, if its heads you’re voting guilty no matter what the evidence is...I'm sure they'll never ask you again:D

Full time students are excused from jury duty.

/Thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Part II of the First Schedule of the Juries Act, 1976 provides that full time students are excusable by right. This means that you can be selected for jury service, but you can apply for an excusal and you will be granted one.

In the letter you've been sent, there should be details of how to apply for an excusal. You might need a letter from your college confirming that you're a full time student, but ring the Courts Service and explain your circumstances and you'll be told how to proceed.

Bingo bongo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

445279.ie wrote: »
    Not necessarily. You could be asked to come back another day because if the first trial falls through there'll be another jury needed.
    yeah but sure you cant unknow someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

blue-army wrote: »

Cheers!

Because your a full time student but not in college at the min you may not be excused

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Why do you want to be excused btw?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Why do you want to be excused btw?
    Loss of earning I think.

I done jury service only last week, got a nice short case. Was a good experience, (The food was v. nice on most days!) I don't know why people avoid it like the plague!

Oh and as for the people who say "shave your head", that's bulls*it...

You're more likely to be chosen as a juror with a hoodie and a shaved head than with a suit and a shaved face.

Our Man in Havana ended the thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thesto

Sorry to bump this, thought it would be better than starting a new thread.

I'm in basically the exact same situation as the OP, except that come September, I will be graduating. My employer will not pay me for jury duty as I am a non-contract part-time employee.

As far as I know, I am considered a full-time student until I have graduated (as I may have to sit repeats, etc.).

If I respond to the letter saying I am a full-time student, will I be excused?

• Advertisement

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Full time students are excused from jury duty.

/Thread.
    The college is refusing to give me a letter stating that I'm a full time student as I officially won't be again until I pay the €2000 reg. fee in August!
    :mad::mad::mad:

Any other ideas?

Simply tell the registrar that you are a full time student. No letter is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MissHappiness

Doesn't your student card have details of course and the years you are a fulltime student.
    If you get a letter from your employment saying they can't do without you at the time of the case, that might suffice. I'm sure we did that for an employee years ago, I was in the office of a small business and we really couldn't do without the yard man during the summer. As far as I can remember, he was excused by letter and didn't have to attend jury selection at all.

Advertisement