Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the difference between a studio flat and a bedsit

Options
  • 10-06-2011 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

What is the difference between a studio flat and a bedsit?

I though a studio flat had a separate bedroom but when i am looking on daft most of the studio flats have bed a kitchen area and a living area in the one room and they are calling them studios.

I don't know how there can be bedsits still at this day and age, they would be a health and safety hazard for one and it would be below the standard of living.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

What is the difference between a studio flat and a bedsit?

I though a studio flat had a separate bedroom but when i am looking on daft most of the studio flats have bed a kitchen area and a living area in the one room and they are calling them studios.

I don't know how there can be bedsits still at this day and age, they would be a health and safety hazard for one and it would be below the standard of living.

Studio flat = posh word for Bedsit.

They are both the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Previous answer is correct. What you are looking for with a separate bedroom is a one bedroom flat.

Why would you think a bedsit is a health and safety hazard? Many modern houses have open kitchens that lead into the living area....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

A bedsit is 1 room with a cooker ,fridge 1bed,1 chair with acess to a shared bathroom ,a studio flat is larger with space for a sofa , a large coffee table maybe with a small bathroom.The ideal thing is get a studio flat on the ground floor of an old victorian house ,with a separate entrance door for extra privacy.You can always ask on the phone how big is the room before you view it.Simply a bedsit has just enough space for 1 person,so it should be cheap.They are calling them studios because of their size,a studio should be much larger than a bedsit.I,d say anyone living in a bedsit is very poor ,on welfare or a student .ITs the lowest rung of the accomodation ladder.
    i dont think a bedsit is a health hazard ,it might be depressing if you had to live there for say 5 years
    i presume a studio would have a small bathroom ,not shared .
    I dont think theres a legal definition of a studio ,so its up to you to decide what you want .

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Previously bedsits didn't necessarily have their own bathroom but that I believe is no longer legal. Studio just means all one room (except bathroom), either an apartment or a flat can be called a studio.

For the purposes of looking on Daft, they're essentially the same thing. No landlord will call their poky box a bedsit as they won't get any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Indeed.

And plenty of "bedsits" still have shared bathrooms, whether it is legal or not.

Have also noticed whilst looking for accomodation in London on uk sites that some studios advertised aren't even bedsits, they are just an ensuite room in a house share. Only discernable difference is a £100 hike in the rent.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I was under the impression that with a studio, the kitchen was in a separate room, so there would be the living/sleeping room, kitchen and bathroom.

Bedsits did not have this luxury and in a lot of cases, didn't even have a bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think bedsits are slowly becoming consigned to history as a term. You rarely see accommodation advertised as such on daft, the Herald etc.

They are generally all called or advertised as studios now. The key attribute is that the bedroom and sitting room are all one room. You will get a seperate bathroom but not necessarily a seperate kitchen (which in most cases will be part of the sitting/bed room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭up4it

The bedsits I knew were only one room (Some had a separate bathroom). So if you wanted to sit down you sat on the bed, hence the name bedsit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

About €20 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The same difference as between a flat and an apartment - i.e. nothing, just a posher term to extract more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

The same difference as between a flat and an apartment - i.e. nothing, just a posher term to extract more money.
    See also: terrace/townhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

When I lived in one years ago, it was called a bedsitter. Now I own one almost exactly the same and rent it out as a studio apartment.:D Things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    When I lived in one years ago, it was called a bedsitter. Now I own one almost exactly the same and rent it out as a studio apartment.biggrin.gif Things change.

My sentiments entirely. Just a play on words if you will. Flats and bedsits are the old terminology for apartments and studio apartments respectively. There may be certain aspects that differentiate a studio appartment from a bedsit but Landlords don't seem to recognise such if there is so its probably all a bit academic in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Generally, from my experience on Daft properties advertised as flats are conversions from houses. Apartments are purpose built. It's not 100%, but it's pretty close. I have noticed over the last couple of years that more 'flats' are now called 'apartments'...

Advertisement