Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment not as advertised

Options
  • 10-06-2011 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys, new to this forum and can't find a thread here with this issue

Basically i went into a three way rent with 2 people , 1 lad I know and 1 I don't know. I didn't view the apartment before i moved in, the guy i didn't know picked the apartment & did all the work. We moved in two weeks ago.

Well once i moved in I realised the apartment is nothing like as advertised on daft.ie which is what we went through. The living area is literally half the size. It's not fancy angles either.. the as advertised photos had two sliding doors and a couple windows in the living area. Ours has got just 1 sliding door and is TINY for a 3 bed. We're also looking out on a waste dump on our what i could only describe as a ledge for a balcony.

It's not working out at all with the guy I didn't know, he sits all night in the living area with his g/f , and doesn't say a word. The thoughts of a year of this..

Have i any comeback on this to get out (It was a 1 year lease we signed).
    I don't know if this is relevant but basically he wanted to move in a little earlier than I could and he signed the lease for me.. so the estate agent could draw up the lease in time for him..pretending it was me (with my permission).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

doncastro wrote: »
    Hi guys, new to this forum and can't find a thread here with this issue

Basically i went into a three way rent with 2 people , 1 lad I know and 1 I don't know. I didn't view the apartment before i moved in, the guy i didn't know picked the apartment & did all the work. We moved in two weeks ago.

Well once i moved in I realised the apartment is nothing like as advertised on daft.ie which is what we went through. The living area is literally half the size. It's not fancy angles either.. the as advertised photos had two sliding doors and a couple windows in the living area. Ours has got just 1 sliding door and is TINY for a 3 bed. We're also looking out on a waste dump on our what i could only describe as a ledge for a balcony.

It's not working out at all with the guy I didn't know, he sits all night in the living area with his g/f , and doesn't say a word. The thoughts of a year of this..

Have i any comeback on this to get out (It was a 1 year lease we signed).
    I don't know if this is relevant but basically he wanted to move in a little earlier than I could and he signed the lease for me.. so the estate agent could draw up the lease in time for him..pretending it was me (with my permission).

Did they provide a BER at or before the lease signing? I read something along the lines of all leases where one hasn't been provided before signing can be considered Null and Void.

Although obviously, I'd check into it more than just what I dimly remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jesus christ, what were you thinking? You agreed to move in to an apartment with a stranger and you didn't even look at the thing first!?

There is no facepalm epic enough tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Jesus christ, what were you thinking? You agreed to move in to an apartment with a stranger and you didn't even look at the thing first!?

There is no facepalm epic enough tbh.

He is in enough **** already, this bashing is not helping him. We all ds mistakes now and then.

Coulsnt they done for false advertising? This is very common and looks like EA getting away with it. I viewed house which looked savage in pics, but when I checked it I realised that pictures were. Done atleast 5 years ago, when it was occupied. Really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

He is in enough **** already, this bashing is not helping him. We all ds mistakes now and then.

Coulsnt they done for false advertising? This is very common and looks like EA getting away with it. I viewed house which looked savage in pics, but when I checked it I realised that pictures were. Done atleast 5 years ago, when it was occupied. Really annoying.

if the guy was to lazy or stupid to view the property you can have no sympathy. Pictures are there to weed out and allow you see potential places to rent. If you dont bother your arse to go and view the place you cant complain.

its not false advertising to put pictures that show the place in the bes tof light.

OP learn from your mistake. Suck it up or find somebody to sublet to and move out. You have no recourse to move out becasue you screwed up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

this is it, you viewed it and you seen it was nothing like the photos.

by signing the Lease you are agreeing that you accept the property as seen.

i would think there is nothing that can be done about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Don't understand me wrong. I do realise that op did a stupid thing, and I do think he understands that. I just ask you lads to put away your handbags and give person assistance or if you can't, just let him roll.

He deffenetly does not need anather teaching and poking his nose in to it and say: bad! Bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

irishbird wrote: »
    this is it, you viewed it and you seen it was nothing like the photos.

by signing the Lease you are agreeing that you accept the property as seen.

i would think there is nothing that can be done about it

He didn't even sign it, he got someone else to sign a legal document on his behalf...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭superbad50

Unlikely there is anything you can do. the contract was legit and signed on your behalf . Are you in a position to break the contract and walk away without your deposit or maybe get someone else to take your place in the house. I dont see any other way around this. It was a silly thing to do but we all make mistakes but try and concentrate on the positive comments you receive from boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 doncastro

Thanks for the comments (well some of them).

@D3PO - It wasn't pictures showing the apartment in the best of light. It was a different apartment pretending to be this one. I really wouldn't have signed the lease if i saw the apartment first (I see this is stupid now yes). But I'm a trusting guy ya know?

@snakeblood - I'm really not sure about this. I googled it but I can't really ask my roommate as I might have to stay here a while and grin and bear it.

@superbad - This is the thing. I can walk away and lose my deposit but I'm not gonna do that and leave the guy I know in ****. The thing is before I came in the equation they were gonna rent a 2 bed with the same agent in the same complex. I'm half hoping the guy is sound and lets me walk away after i explain the story and give them the 2 bed.

Ill update if anything happens. Stress!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 doncastro

Update**

I got put through to threshold from citizen advice and I had a meeting with an adviser who told me my only option was to get someone else. I noticed in there when i looked at the lease that my name wasn't actually on it!! She told me this doesn't matter tho as it's still a verbal contract.

So i rang up the place looking after the building (since it's in receivership) and spoke to the housing officer looking after it. Turns out the lazy hole solicitor forgot to put my name on the lease so he said basically I can walk away if I want to...he said he can't even talk to me about it ..but he did anyways. Lucky I did this... thanks threshold...

As I said I'm not gonna do that and leave my mate in **** so i asked the guy if he would give them the 2 bed which they were gonna get originally and he was sound and said he would do it and take the price of the letting fee and try rent out the 3 bed.

Now I'm gonna see if the 2 lads will go for that.. will update

• Advertisement
Advertisement