Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange links to a website in some posts.

Options
  • 10-06-2011 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this should be here or in Site Development but anyway, I noticed that a couple of posts by a particular user had links to a search site added to the them (see here on the word "horizon" and here on the word "horrendous".

The user in question assures me that they didn't put them there so I'm just wondering how they could have gotten there. Is Boards up to something or could the user's computer be infected with a virus or a dodgy script?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

none tha tI know of and it looks liek its only that poster. if th eposter didnt add the link themselves they may be running firefox or IE with the surfcanyon addon which adds search results when you use google etc. maybe it sneakily inserts a link when you post on a public forum as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Yeah, I did a brief bit of Googling and it seems there is an addon for it. They say they've never heard of that site so I dunno what's going on.

Should I snip the links out of the posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

no harm in editing them out. if nothing else it'll cut down on the number of links on the web to their site which, if its nefarious would not be a bad thing and if its innocent, the poster should know all about it already.

Advertisement