Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭noisenotmusic

With all due respect to OTT, given the standard of quality of the promo videos they do any attempt at a sustained TV show would be pretty horrible. They're just not set up for that kind of thing without a massive injection of money which isn't just going to come out of thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SquidLad

With all due respect to OTT, given the standard of quality of the promo videos they do any attempt at a sustained TV show would be pretty horrible. They're just not set up for that kind of thing without a massive injection of money which isn't just going to come out of thin air.

It's not actually money that make those videos crap aesthetically. It's just general incompetence and/or laziness. You can shoot good looking footage with good audio these days for f-all extra money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I was quite happy with the Jordon Devlin video we made for OTT to be fair! I seen a really good one tucker did for PWU last year to also.

Thought the angel cruzers one was quite good to be fair. The lucha underground cinematic camera work doesnt to it for me at all!

Just think a tv style show for youtube would be a great way to get stuff across.....even use contenders as a taping!

Sirsok wrote: »
    I was quite happy with the Jordon Devlin video we made for OTT to be fair! I seen a really good one tucker did for PWU last year to also.

Thought the angel cruzers one was quite good to be fair. The lucha underground cinematic camera work doesnt to it for me at all!

Just think a tv style show for youtube would be a great way to get stuff across.....even use contenders as a taping!

I was referring more to stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vjEnTXrnVc

And believe me, I'm not trying to be mean here, I've been ****ed out of it more times for shooting garbage but it's fair to say that that video would be unacceptable on TV. There's really just no excuse for the camera audio, the framing, the general pasty look of it etc...

I get ya but I think video is a product of the monthly tapings, just shoot something quick so it makes sense at the next show. I think OTT do have a good camera guy, and they are capable of making nice packages, and if they were doing it for a weekly show, no doubt you would see less of that stuff and nore of the higher quality stuff as everything would have to be planned out in advance!

• Advertisement

just shoot something quick so it makes sense at the next show

Sure, but my one and only point is it's not money that's stopping them from making quality videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

SquidLad wrote: »
    Sure, but my one and only point is it's not money that's stopping them from making quality videos.

Ah it is a bit, if only because without money you’re then stuck for time because people need to spend time elsewhere making money. You know yourself from doing it no doubt how much time it can take in finding a good location to tape, doing multiple takes to get it right and then editing it on top (granted one camera continuous promos require little to no editing). Then you’ve got to find a time the talent can tape because they’re not doing it full time either and that’ll usually leave a tiny window in which you have to get stuff done.

I’d judge them more at their peak because that’s more representative of what’d be possible with TV, and if you look at that then their stuff is excellent quality for what they have. Think of some of the promo packages, the Angel Cruz promos and skits etc. They’re well shot, compactly edited and genuinely compelling or funny as needed. That Elektro skit they did a few months ago that took off Star Wars, for example, was fantastically shot and cut.

This thread is my favourite in boards and I love when convo starts in it.

With that said, who is your favourite Irish star to never get picked up so excluding Devlin, Balor etc

I would say Luther ward only he was in NXT, but what a gimmick. I remember Samoa Joe shared one of the promos made with Rocky mac. Grrat gimmick for our isle and a fantastic wrestler to boot.

I used to always like Red Vinny, good character for his time and could perform some great high flying moves, as with Irish Dragin/Terry Thatcher.

As you can tell I like gimmicks and J Money ihas a gimmick to rival anyone, but Phil Boyd and Katey Hatveys work at FFPW cant go unnoticed!

Mad man Manson was a good shout also, not particularly a stand out wrestler but great gimmick, got ripped before he quit.

Is yours Bingo Balance?Ballymun Bruiser?Conor Hurley?Captain Rooney?Paddy Morrow?Sean Maxer?Tron (im aware he was signed for a time!)

Lets discuss irish wrestlers like Mandrake or danny butler! Who you remember from your days going to shows at hotels??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is yours Bingo Balance?Ballymun Bruiser?Conor Hurley?Captain Rooney?Paddy Morrow?Sean Maxer?Tron (im aware he was signed for a time!)

That takes me back! Three awful, awful gimmicks. Mad Man Manson somewhat made it in the UK did he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Why does everyone think TV is necessary for a prmotion tro be successful?

With Netflix/ Youtube/ Twitch etc becoming more prevalent for the younger generations, TV is falling wayyyy back! ANyone can start a 'TV show' on Twitch or YouTube these days.

Look at whatculture, or whatever they call their fed these days. Big budget, high producton, and not a lot of people tune in to their shows live, but on YouTube after the fact.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    That takes me back! Three awful, awful gimmicks. Mad Man Manson somewhat made it in the UK did he?

Entitled to your opinion but I think it’s way harsh to include Bruiser in that list, especially when you consider hugely successful gimmicks like Session Moth and Lads From The Flats are just over-18 versions of the same gimmick and they all no doubt took inspiration from him. He was way over from the moment the gimmick debuted, managed to straddle the line perfectly back in the days when lads didn’t have the benefit of being able to go full over-18 and evolved the character to be a Ballymun tough guy/boxer type when it came time.

Manson made it as much as it’s possible to without ‘making it’. Wrestled full time in all notable U.K. promotions, universally respected and liked by everyone (and you’re talking A-list guys here) and, although it goes under the radar, hugely influential. He was doing the meta comedy stuff before anyone else: that was his act. Now that’s the default everywhere and you better believe the people who do it either watched Manson’s stuff closely or watched someone who watched it. Without him we probably don’t have stuff like Being The Elite today. You’d say that’s crazy but the industry is tiny and everyone sees anything that breaks from the norm. Nobody else at the time was doing the deconstructive humour Manson was (“killing wrestling from the inside” he called it). So that’s a pretty sweet legacy, even if it doesn’t get widely recognised.

Does Manson still wrestle Leggo? He was always good craic to watch, its a shame IWW didnt push on from its initial successes, I rexkon Manson would do well now. Bruiser is still going with CCW and I believe he had a few early matches with OTT. I see a few old IWW guys still going like Logan Bryce and Terry Thacther. I remember a match thatcher had as irish dragon against Johnny Storm where crowd kept calling for Johnny to chop dragon, poor guy was red all over after it.

Few of em went onto DCW, like LA Warren and Working Class John, anyone know what happened to that company?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ThePott

Mad Man Manson is retired I believe.

A lot of the other guys you mentioned have been active in CCW at least.

Bruiser is a frequent one there, Bingo pops up there now and again too, Maxer has been in OTT and CCW as of late.

Last saw Tron last Summer in CCW as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

any word on who will be at OTT wrestlerama? ticket info has been released but no word on any stars I can find

leggo wrote: »
    Entitled to your opinion but I think it’s way harsh to include Bruiser in that list, especially when you consider hugely successful gimmicks like Session Moth and Lads From The Flats are just over-18 versions of the same gimmick and they all no doubt took inspiration from him. He was way over from the moment the gimmick debuted, managed to straddle the line perfectly back in the days when lads didn’t have the benefit of being able to go full over-18 and evolved the character to be a Ballymun tough guy/boxer type when it came time.

Manson made it as much as it’s possible to without ‘making it’. Wrestled full time in all notable U.K. promotions, universally respected and liked by everyone (and you’re talking A-list guys here) and, although it goes under the radar, hugely influential. He was doing the meta comedy stuff before anyone else: that was his act. Now that’s the default everywhere and you better believe the people who do it either watched Manson’s stuff closely or watched someone who watched it. Without him we probably don’t have stuff like Being The Elite today. You’d say that’s crazy but the industry is tiny and everyone sees anything that breaks from the norm. Nobody else at the time was doing the deconstructive humour Manson was (“killing wrestling from the inside” he called it). So that’s a pretty sweet legacy, even if it doesn’t get widely recognised.

Oh, it's kickin' off again. 20 page debate over the rose tinted glasses for IWW here we go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

That was beautiful, the fella doesnt appear to know that maxer and guinnes are twin brothers......arent they? ;)

Lads, we dont have wrestling in 2018 without the lads from prior years building the scene. The OTT lads are bringing it to entire new levels, but without the lads on that list mentioned above OTT wouldnt be around.

Oh, it's kickin' off again. 20 page debate over the rose tinted glasses for IWW here we go :D

No glasses, just adding facts for balance. Bruiser originally came out to ‘Come With Me’ by Special D drinking cans and raving. Martina comes out to ‘Maniac’ and ‘Sandstorm’...drinking cans and raving! Who did Martina tag with in her first OTT match before she became Session Moth? Yep...Bruiser, and they started drinking cans and raving when they won!

Not criticising her in the slightest, I’m a big fan of what Martina has done, she’s made the character totally her own and the video packages and character work she does is an excellent advancement on it for 2018. But it’s an over 18’s take of the same gimmick. So if you like Martina but think Bruiser’s old gimmick was crap, it’s a totally inconsistent opinion.

Can we not derail the thread for a good reason...

Let's get Manson back for a once off in OTT... Surely we all have at least one connection we can use?!

I second that Mad Man Manson in OTT.

Would do well against opposite the Angel Cruzers!

How can we get this crusade going?

He lives in the UK.... I'll pay for his swimming lessons

• Advertisement

Ill pick him up from the dock....

Twitter may be the best bet!

brianblaze wrote: »
    Can we not derail the thread for a good reason...

Let's get Manson back for a once off in OTT... Surely we all have at least one connection we can use?!

Comes in, changes the topic from an ongoing conversation, accuses others of derailing the thread :pac:.

I’d love to see Manson in OTT, dunno how interested he is in wrestling now, I think he does the odd appearance these days just to catch up with mates and most of his mates would be on the BritWres scene now. The guy says himself he never had any mad passion for wrestling, it was a hobby that interested him and he happened to be really good at, so I doubt there’s any candles burning for him to do such an appearance sadly. You never know though.

Well a tweet has been issued, he seems quite active on twitter so may gain some traction, never know!!!

* update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

If Manson goes to OTT (even for 2 shows) the game changes. 
    Different level

Replying to both OTT and Manson on twitter at the moment, so fingers crossed.....

No glasses, just adding facts for balance. Bruiser originally came out to ‘Come With Me’ by Special D drinking cans and raving. Martina comes out to ‘Maniac’ and ‘Sandstorm’...drinking cans and raving! Who did Martina tag with in her first OTT match before she became Session Moth? Yep...Bruiser, and they started drinking cans and raving when they won!

Not criticising her in the slightest, I’m a big fan of what Martina has done, she’s made the character totally her own and the video packages and character work she does is an excellent advancement on it for 2018. But it’s an over 18’s take of the same gimmick. So if you like Martina but think Bruiser’s old gimmick was crap, it’s a totally inconsistent opinion.

Nah, it's all about execution. Martina's way more talented then Bruiser IMO.

Nah, it's all about execution. Martina's way more talented then Bruiser IMO.

Christ, we get it, you got banned from their forum years ago. Let it go and move on man, it’s not healthy to hold these grudges over places that don’t even exist anymore. :pac:

I’m not commenting on who’s more talented, it’s a ridiculous debate as there’s things that both do and have done excellently.

Christ, we get it, you got banned from their forum years ago. Let it go and move on man, it’s not healthy to hold these grudges over places that don’t even exist anymore. :pac:

I’m not commenting on who’s more talented, it’s a ridiculous debate as there’s things that both do and have done excellently.

Woah woah woah, take it easy Leggo. I'm just saying I think Martina's better than Bruiser. Which I don't believe is any kind of controversial opinion. I don't have any grudges and tbh I laugh at what a little sh*t I was on the IWW forum, which is why I was (rightfully) banned.

I’m only slagging man, I find that **** funny. I mean you totally do have unresolved issues with them (even though they’re doing their own thing quietly and harming absolutely nobody today) because every time someone says something positive about something that happened there you’re straight in with “No! Everything they did was ****! And this has nothing to do with them banning me which I’m totally over!” But you do you man. :pac:

• Advertisement

I’m only slagging man, I find that **** funny. I mean you totally do have unresolved issues with them (even though they’re doing their own thing quietly and harming absolutely nobody today) because every time someone says something positive about something that happened there you’re straight in with “No! Everything they did was ****! And this has nothing to do with them banning me which I’m totally over!” But you do you man. :pac:

Okay, I promise you, I absolutely swear to God, my being banned from the IWW forum (12 years ago!) forum plays no part in the opinions I hold today. Just typing that sentence makes me laugh. It's hilarious to think I could hold such an absolutely pathetic grudge. I just think IWW had a few bright spots but was ultimately kind of a crummy promotion. Not terrible mind you, but not especially good either. I tend to speak up when IWW gets mentioned because I feel it's been undeservedly romanticized in recent years.

Now be honest Leggo. You can call me a broken record but that would be the pot calling the kettle black, wouldn't it? I've known you since my time as Hello Sir/Jimmy Jailbreak waaaay back in the early days of the IWW forum. And you have never, ever let any criticism of IWW go unchallenged. Not saying that's a bad thing but it is true.

Advertisement