Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Well, sh*t!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

What happened?

EDIT: Saw his follow up tweet saying the arena is "Too big, too expensive to run monthly".

Lord TSC wrote: »
    What happened?

EDIT: Saw his follow up tweet saying the arena is "Too big, too expensive to run monthly".

That was in reference to the National Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭madnessnmayhem

Is that the Good counsel GAA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Is that the Good counsel GAA?
    Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

They have a new venue sorted for February

Homecoming to take place in the National Basketball Arena. 2.5K capacity but would have more with floor seating you'd imagine. Don't know if this is a permanent fix or what though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Went to National Basketball Arena as a severely hungover 17 year old back in 2002. Recall seeing Jody Fliesch and Jonny Storm and thinking it was the best thing I've ever seen and then puking in a bucket. An awful looking Jake 'The Snake' Roberts was there too. Here's the card if anyone fancies a nostalgia trip;

Neil Faith vs. PN Neuz

Cleopatra vs. Pippa L'Vinn

Jake Roberts vs. The Flatliner

Jody Fleisch vs. Jonny Storm

Joe X-Legend vs. Robbie Brookside

Doug Williams vs. Slyk Wagner Brown

EWA World Heavyweight Title Tables, Ladders & Chairs Match
    Chris The Bambikiller (c) vs. Michael Kovac

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Homecoming to take place in the National Basketball Arena. 2.5K capacity but would have more with floor seating you'd imagine. Don't know if this is a permanent fix or what though.

They could probably close off certain areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

WWE should think about running there now with their dwindling attendances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Omackeral wrote: »
    Went to National Basketball Arena as a severely hungover 17 year old

No such thing. Now when I get hangovers at 27 I remember being 17 as just doing Shawn Michaels kip ups in the morning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Sorely tempted to go to that show in February. Really wanna see Pac and Ilya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Trailer is confusing as to who is wrestling who and what the cage is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Been a long time since I was in the Basketball Arena... Is there a bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Basketball Arena is such a pain to get to on a regular basis, takes quite a while to get out from town to there. At least there's somewhere as a stopgap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

The problem for us normal fans who don't want to be taking two buses out to Tallaght on a Sunday night is that there are lads who would crawl over broken glass for the right to go out there to queue up from 10am so they won't care.

showpony1 wrote: »
    The problem for us normal fans who don't want to be taking two buses out to Tallaght on a Sunday night is that there are lads who would crawl over broken glass for the right to go out there to queue up from 10am so they won't care.

Would you not drive/ get a taxi?

brianblaze wrote: »
    Would you not drive/ get a taxi?

it would be €40+ per trip in a taxi for me to Tallaght and I enjoy a gargle. If it was a Sat night in town don't mind the taxi home after staying out after the show - obviously city center being closer to home too.

Had to experience teens running up and down banging on the doors of the Luas, screaming and shouting to get to Suir road. This should be another interesting experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Screaming and shouting. That's rough. Imagine being in a hot ECW crowd back in the day. I heard they used to curse too!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Screaming and shouting. That's rough. Imagine being in a hot ECW crowd back in the day. I heard they used to curse too!

Really felt unsafe when the OTT crowd get going with "Tracey is a W*anker la la la la"

• Advertisement

Just for clarity:

Are you complaining about having to take two buses across the city to get to the event?

It's only one bus from where I am and I think it's too far. It's over an hour travel each way. Fine for one offs or special events but not every month. Part of what made OTT so good was the fact it was in town, in a place that served cheap drink as well as the great show. The Stadium shows were a great treat every few months. OTT know this themselves thought, the tweet from Joey complaining about venues shows he knows what made OTT appealing as a package. I'll still head to the Basketball Arena just as I did to Suir Road a couple of times but if it becomes the regular venue it'll die off fairly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

It's only one bus from where I am and I think it's too far. It's over an hour travel each way. Fine for one offs or special events but not every month. Part of what made OTT so good was the fact it was in town, in a place that served cheap drink as well as the great show. The Stadium shows were a great treat every few months. OTT know this themselves thought, the tweet from Joey complaining about venues shows he knows what made OTT appealing as a package. I'll still head to the Basketball Arena just as I did to Suir Road a couple of times but if it becomes the regular venue it'll die off fairly fast.

I think it's fair to say they outgrew Tivoli a good while ago. They stopped doing the cheap drink/cans promotion.

it would be €40+ per trip in a taxi for me to Tallaght and I enjoy a gargle. If it was a Sat night in town don't mind the taxi home after staying out after the show - obviously city center being closer to home too.

Had to experience teens running up and down banging on the doors of the Luas, screaming and shouting to get to Suir road. This should be another interesting experience.

I live in Lusk and I'll happily get a taxi home if I want a few beers. Complaining about it being a few quid to get to/ from is a bit reduntant if you live within a 40 quid taxi ride away. Plenty of people come up from the sticks to the shows!

If I hear one person complain about this Luas or that Luas, or the number of buses to get across the city I'll flip.

There's people (myself included) who've had to travel the length of the country to get to those shows on day-long trips. There's people who get the bus up from Limerick and straight back down after the show arriving home at stupid o'clock in the morning.

So for God's sake stop complaining about your miniscule trips to see a card with PAC, Will Ospreay, Walter, etc.

But the move outward will be affecting those people who travel to Dublin as well, probably even more so. The main issue is leaving the venue, not getting there.

Whenever the stadium shows run past 10pm you can see a good few people heading to the door for last buses, the basketball arena in Tallaght is over an hour from the city centre by city bus. The second a show runs beyond 9 or 10pm in the new place people will be eyeing the door, if any of them run as late as some of the Stadium shows have (12pm+) how on earth is anyone supposed to get out of there? There's not going to be enough taxis to cater for 500/1000 people looking to get home.

But the move outward will be affecting those people who travel to Dublin as well, probably even more so. The main issue is leaving the venue, not getting there.

Whenever the stadium shows run past 10pm you can see a good few people heading to the door for last buses, the basketball arena in Tallaght is over an hour from the city centre by city bus. The second a show runs beyond 9 or 10pm in the new place people will be eyeing the door, if any of them run as late as some of the Stadium shows have (12pm+) how on earth is anyone supposed to get out of there? There's not going to be enough taxis to cater for 500/1000 people looking to get home.

In fairness, if people are that concerned about getting home, they can drive? Also, it's harder to get a taxi in town these days thean on the outskirts with MyTaxi or whatever.

There is zero point complaiing in the fact that a small Irish promotion has graduated toa much larger venue, we should be celebrating that fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There's no point complaining, but there's no point complaining about complaining either. Look if OTT had it their way the Tivoli or an even better, affordable venue more fitting of their size/needs would be available smack bang in the middle of Dublin City. It's well established that they don't have that option. It's **** but they have to do something or just pack up and there's no more wrestling with big names for Irish fans. Don't feel too bad for them though: they're a business and make loads of money from this, not a charity, so you don't owe them anything.

If you don't like this decision, don't go. If you're fine with it considering all that you're getting, go! If it's a bad decision, let that be OTT's problem, they're the ones paying for the big expensive wrestlers and taking the risk so they get to have the show wherever they choose and live with the consequences. You miss out on a great night but you made the choice so your benefit is you also get to keep your money in your pocket! It's not any fan's right to dictate the decisions and risks a business owner makes, just as it's not any fan's responsibility to give a **** if what's being served up isn't for them and they shouldn't feel pressured to. Nobody owes anyone anything here. Sorted.

But can we complain about complaining about complaining?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

Lads, if you want to go you will go. The excuses are beyond lame. Get a load of you into a bus, split 12 ways its nothing. There are people in the UK flying in for OTT shows and some of you wont organsise a group to get together a cut costs to get there............ jesus christ on a bike!

(i await a ban)

Advertisement