Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

showpony1 wrote: »
    The Event page says "Ireland vs the World" for Scrappermania,
    which workers do you think we are getting?
    Hopefully something more imaginative than Suzuki/Ishi.
    Hopefully they can get Peter Dunne for it.
    Think Pete Dunne is finished with the indies now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

World Cup to determine the best in the world?

wow shane o mac defending his title will be huge

Joe Cabray wants non-governmment funding for an uncompetitive sport.
    Who would want to sponsor an Irish wrestler? Even if you were to sponsor Jordan Devlin you wouldn't get your stuff on TV probably.
    If he's the brains of the operation then God love the rest.

https://twitter.com/Luther__Ward/status/1090338329252503552?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

To be fair, there’s nothing wrong with what he’s saying there. A small sponsorship would be worth it alone for the Twitter followers the likes of Devlin and Martina have. But having made the 1000 calls and got laughed at myself as soon as you say wrestling, I get where he’s coming from (and he’s built his company way bigger than any other so should have it easier in theory). A lot of people don’t even want to listen to what you can offer them or a lot of the raw numbers as soon as you mention ‘wrestling’. I mean, ultimately, it’s the life we chose and part of it but I definitely see how it disheartens people all the same and necessitates a vent.

If it was government funding he was looking for, it’d be more tenuous, then you have to make the case that wrestling is good for the country as a whole (just not gonna happen). But, in theory, business to business should just be about numbers yet there’s a prejudice still out there when it comes to wrestling (although it’s less prevelant than it was in 2005 to be fair).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It sucks. If an Irish tiddlywinks player came 3rd in a competition in another country it would be the lead story on RTE. Becky Lynch didn't get a sentence written after winning the rumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

It sucks. If an Irish tiddlywinks player came 3rd in a competition in another country it would be the lead story on RTE. Becky Lynch didn't get a sentence written after winning the rumble.

Both the Mirror and the Independent had articles up about her winning and going to Mania. Not much coverage, but not a total black out either.

Both the Mirror and the Independent had articles up about her winning and going to Mania. Not much coverage, but not a total black out either.

RTE though. Nothing at all. They reluctantly started to cover Conor way after he was the biggest draw on the planet. It's run by backwards thinking committee.

I remember how Cathal Pendred was a guest on that barely sentient cretin Ray Darcy's radio show after his famous win. Ray's first question was "Sure MMA isn't a sport".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

RTE though. Nothing at all. They reluctantly started to cover Conor way after he was the biggest draw on the planet. It's run by backwards thinking committee.

I remember how Cathal Pendred was a guest on that barely sentient cretin Ray Darcy's radio show after his famous win. Ray's first question was "Sure MMA isn't a sport".

Have RTE ever covered the results from a wrestling event though? Was there an article for Sheamus winning the Rumble or Finn winning the Universal Championship? Would of course have been good to see Becky get the recognition she deserves, not really surprising though unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

Glad they don't to be honest - more areas to avoid spoilers the morning after big PPVs before I get home from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

showpony1 wrote: »
    Glad they don't to be honest - more areas to avoid spoilers the morning after big PPVs before I get home from work.

I remember Sheamus winning his first WWE Title at TLC being spoiled for me on the poxy news in the car on the way home from work on the Monday after. Avoided FB, Youtube and even some co-workers only to have some jobber on a news bulletin spoil it who I doubt has ever watched a PPV!

• Advertisement

Sheamus was on the LLS once.

First question:

"Sure it's all fake"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

It's hard to know an Irish brand that would sponsor OTT though. It's a great idea and having worked in sales and marketing makes sense but you need the right brand.

Maybe one of the breweries like Galway Bay or something but it's a tough association to forge unless you have a link to it.

I'd 100% be getting on to Paddy Power if I were them. Their social media lads always reference wrestling stuff

brianblaze wrote: »
    I'd 100% be getting on to Paddy Power if I were them. Their social media lads always reference wrestling stuff

Paddy Power don't do local sponsorship anymore, they're all about building their brand worldwide, logic being anyone in Ireland who's going to bet likely uses or knows of PP now. We nearly got a deal through with them with Low Blows a couple years back, but it was too close to the Euros for them to focus on it, but even then we had to convolute it so much it'd be stupid to say no.

Sponsorship is such a pain. You can make all the logic, and it can make all the sense in the world (plus smaller companies usually just need pocket change for these big companies), but they have their budgets and their strategies/traditional methods so they're not even listening. It's almost not worth even pursuing here unless something comes up through an offer or contact.

leggo wrote: »
    Paddy Power don't do local sponsorship anymore, they're all about building their brand worldwide, logic being anyone in Ireland who's going to bet likely uses or knows of PP now. We nearly got a deal through with them with Low Blows a couple years back, but it was too close to the Euros for them to focus on it, but even then we had to convolute it so much it'd be stupid to say no.

Sponsorship is such a pain. You can make all the logic, and it can make all the sense in the world (plus smaller companies usually just need pocket change for these big companies), but they have their budgets and their strategies/traditional methods so they're not even listening. It's almost not worth even pursuing here unless something comes up through an offer or contact.

Considering the attention that OTT gets globally now, I'd imagine PP might see that as a branding opp. Everyone knows who Coca Cola are, but they still advertise

A brand slapped on the mat like the CMLL Corona deal being seen in every GIF/ video OTT make that ends up going around the world would make sense for someone. Maybe not PP but maybe someone

Don't see why OTT can't get an hour of late night TV on RTE or Virgin. Show the ringside stuff if they can't show the big names. I'm sure they'd pull in a bigger number than LIVE CAMOGIE~!

Production costs, need for a bigger venue for all shows, plus a weekly show would cost a fotrune to run and might overexpose some of the talent

Some amount of wishful thinking in this thread, and that's coming from a League of Ireland fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Some amount of wishful thinking in this thread, and that's coming from a League of Ireland fan.

What would you classify as wishful thinking?

To be fair 5 years ago we would of never anticpated having 4 Irish wrestlers involved in the royal rumble weekend.

Theres fight factory, ott, pheonix, NLW, wrestling.ie and courage wresling all going strong.

Some of the best talent in the world coming over to our shores. Wrestling itself seems to be in a boom period, with WWE posting record profits, NJPW and WWE expanding, and indie promotions all over the world exploding. Not to wishfull to think some corporate sponsers might want to get on board, lool at hot topic with bullet club tshirts.

Wrestling as a sporting organisation may not be eligible for funding, but maybe they could go down the arts council route?

A tv show isnt outside thw realms of possibility in the long scheme of things.

Never mind the fact that an Irish woman might be in the first female Main Event in Wrestlemania history

Sirsok wrote: »
    What would you classify as wishful thinking?

To be fair 5 years ago we would of never anticpated having 4 Irish wrestlers involved in the royal rumble weekend.

Theres fight factory, ott, pheonix, NLW, wrestling.ie and courage wresling all going strong.

Some of the best talent in the world coming over to our shores. Wrestling itself seems to be in a boom period, with WWE posting record profits, NJPW and WWE expanding, and indie promotions all over the world exploding. Not to wishfull to think some corporate sponsers might want to get on board, lool at hot topic with bullet club tshirts.

Wrestling as a sporting organisation may not be eligible for funding, but maybe they could go down the arts council route?

A tv show isnt outside thw realms of possibility in the long scheme of things.
    Just everything really. 2,500 TOPS go to the national stadium for a mega show, that doesn't mean that all these sponsors should be falling over themselves to come after OTT.

You can say everything about all these companies blowing up and all the talent but other than wrestling fans, nobody else in Ireland gives a sh*t. Its just as relevant now as it was 10 years ago, which isn't a lot.

Bullet Club are a Japanese faction that branches into a very lucrative US Market. US is a lot bigger than Ireland.

• Advertisement

Production costs, need for a bigger venue for all shows, plus a weekly show would cost a fotrune to run and might overexpose some of the talent

Nah, they tape all their shows as it is. Wouldn't cost anything more.

Nah, they tape all their shows as it is. Wouldn't cost anything more.

It would. The standard of production that goes into VOD is far lower than the required standard RTÉ etc would have. For a start, they’d need to tape all their shows in the National Stadium (or an equally big/good looking venue), which means needing to rent and cover costs with sales in that regularly. TV is a drain on expenses and way more trouble than it’s worth and wouldn’t be worth them pursuing when they’re likely doing well and turning profit with VOD as is. The only way it’d be a good idea is if TV companies approached them, because then they’d get offered the funding needed and wouldn’t have to look for it (plus if companies are approaching them then that means they’re big enough for it to work too).

leggo wrote: »
    It would. The standard of production that goes into VOD is far lower than the required standard RTÉ etc would have. For a start, they’d need to tape all their shows in the National Stadium (or an equally big/good looking venue), which means needing to rent and cover costs with sales in that regularly. TV is a drain on expenses and way more trouble than it’s worth and wouldn’t be worth them pursuing when they’re likely doing well and turning profit with VOD as is. The only way it’d be a good idea is if TV companies approached them, because then they’d get offered the funding needed and wouldn’t have to look for it (plus if companies are approaching them then that means they’re big enough for it to work too).

This! You can't use a few GH5's for broadcast quality TV, espeicallyfor clients like Virgin or RTE who need HD content and audio. IWW taped their shows for TWC back in the day and it was good production value for the time but looked terrible on a TV.

The last thing they need is to look low budget, plus, for me, the real attraction of OTT/ Courage etc is that they're niche and can do what they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Just everything really. 2,500 TOPS go to the national stadium for a mega show, that doesn't mean that all these sponsors should be falling over themselves to come after OTT.

You can say everything about all these companies blowing up and all the talent but other than wrestling fans, nobody else in Ireland gives a sh*t. Its just as relevant now as it was 10 years ago, which isn't a lot.

To be fair, they are some good points, having a look at their social media channels shows that maybe the following isnt there. It definately is in the rise though

I would argue it is more relevent now then 10 years ago, the amount of Irish people involved in wrestling has grown tremendously, feels like its on the cusp of something. It could and shpuld grow even more over next few years, with the likes of Progress and ICW putting on huge shows, no reason why OTT can potentially get there.

This! You can't use a few GH5's for broadcast quality TV, espeicallyfor clients like Virgin or RTE who need HD content and audio. IWW taped their shows for TWC back in the day and it was good production value for the time but looked terrible on a TV.

The last thing they need is to look low budget, plus, for me, the real attraction of OTT/ Courage etc is that they're niche and can do what they want

I worked on a program for 3 years that was shown on ITV and RTE and a tonne of sports channels. It didn't cost much to make at all. It's all in the editing.

I worked on a program for 3 years that was shown on ITV and RTE and a tonne of sports channels. It didn't cost much to make at all. It's all in the editing.

I film and edit for a living and have worked and appeared on a fair few TV shows over the years, a regular TV show needs broadcast quality cameras and lighting etc.

Yeah, you'll need a couple of proper cameras but you once you have them, you're off. You can also enhance older footage to get up to scratch. A best of show is all they need, not a weekly show like Raw. Just a few classic matches late at night. Would be good for publicity.

Stick it in Irish and put it on TG4

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Stick it in Irish and put it on TG4

I know you're only joking, but they'd probably do a great job with it! The standard of their work, considering their budget, is usually top class.

• Advertisement

I know you're only joking, but they'd probably do a great job with it! The standard of their work, considering their budget, is usually top class.

I would love to see it, but it's not happening. If they wanted to do a monthly show, which is the only feasible option, filming contenders shows etc, would be on twitch or similar.

Being on a TV channel does not mean you've 'made it,' it means you have pressure on you to deliver every month and pressure to garner numbers.

Putting it on TG4, which might be awesome, would damage the product.

OTT is in an interesting space now, in terms of growth and popularity. The buzz that the Tivoli created was amazing, and now it's about finding somewhere to recreate it.

I'm really looking forward to Courage in the Button Factory, to see if there's potential in there.

Advertisement