Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

the issue isnt him going over the top (pun intended) on the boxing, it is the fact that its an obvious false statement.

They should push the fact that not only is JD a fantastic technical wrestler, he can throw the hands too. No need to bring boxing into it when we can watch Katie Taylor anytime on youtube. Call Jordan a fella who can fight as well as wrestle, thats the call to make

best pure boxing, what is that? It isnt a real thing. Showing scrap, fighting spirit and not just a wrestler is real!

Like when JR called people the best pure athlete etc? It's all part of the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I prefer when Ronda just calls things fake on Twitter

Sirsok wrote: »
    I prefer when Ronda just calls things fake on Twitter

Don't work yourself into a shoot Brother. HH

What time do the shows usually finish at? Last scrapper I was at ran way over , but have to get back to Kilkenny that night by some form of public transport ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

What time do the shows usually finish at? Last scrapper I was at ran way over , but have to get back to Kilkenny that night by some form of public transport ha

Usually by 10:30 - 11pm now,
    the last 2 stadium shows were no where near as long as that Scrappermania 2 years ago where it was like a 1am finish.

• Advertisement

Thanks man, last bus is 11.50 so gotta try get to the luas depot for then!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Thanks man, last bus is 11.50 so gotta try get to the luas depot for then!!!

I can drop you if needs be. I'll be at the show and driving and live within a few mins of the Luas.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I can drop you if needs be. I'll be at the show and driving and live within a few mins of the Luas.

Thanks for the offer man but there will be four of us and they will be fairly on it by then couldn't subject you to that, but thanks so much man, that's unbelievably kind!

Do there be taxis around there after the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There does but you can get lucky or unlucky, more a case of if one passes and you catch it first, there’s no ranks. Otherwise you’re walking towards Jury’s. But they’ve gotten much better at finishing for 11ish so you should be fine with nearly an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

So the Bucks were shown leaving for a match with their passports at the end of BTE yesterday.

What are the chances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

Mate that is exactly my point!
    Did anyone believe billy gunn was the best pure athlete? Absolutely not! He was far from it!v

You just proved my point!
    brianblaze wrote: »
    Like when JR called people the best pure athlete etc? It's all part of the job

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Looks like Steve Savage is out of his match with Justy in Limerick this Sunday. I'm hoping it's a swerve and not real trouble with his knee, but it's impossible to guess these days!

Mate that is exactly my point!
    Did anyone believe billy gunn was the best pure athlete? Absolutely not! He was far from it!v

You just proved my point!

No I didn't... Commentators are supposed to be Hyperbolic, not echoing real life!?! This is pro wrestling!! As someone who's a 'fan of the art of wrestling' I thought you'd know better.

Anyway, aren't you a former wrestler? Are you saying that Eamon Darcy was a better commentator than Aonghus?

They WHERE supposed to be hyperbolic and over the top. But times have changed. It was easy to call Kamala a cannibal because as a kid i didnt have the internet to google cannibal (bad example but you get my point).

If you call someone a pure boxer and someone sees a video of a real boxer it makes the wrestler in question look bad. Whereas in the JD example, if the commentator tweets / says 'Jordan is not just a terrifyingly good wrestler who can break you without you knowing it, he can also fight you like a pitbull'
    That is believable in a fake world. It is stilla legit thing to say in context.

You cant take wrestling seriously enough to post opinions online and then say 'well its only wrestling they are supposed to be over the top and stupid about it' .....

If you compare anything from decades ago to today it will sound dated, but you need to realise that without the wrestling/wrestlers of the 2000's who kept the circuit going when it was beyond rough, there wouldnt be an OTT et al going now for your enjoyment. So at the time Darcy was great, this is a new time and if the current commentator (i am sure he is lovely) commentated like it was 2019 instead of 2003 (in my opinion - means nothing) the entire show would be better
    No I didn't... Commentators are supposed to be Hyperbolic, not echoing real life!?! This is pro wrestling!! As someone who's a 'fan of the art of wrestling' I thought you'd know better.

Anyway, aren't you a former wrestler? Are you saying that Eamon Darcy was a better commentator than Aonghus?

They WHERE supposed to be hyperbolic and over the top. But times have changed. It was easy to call Kamala a cannibal because as a kid i didnt have the internet to google cannibal (bad example but you get my point).

If you call someone a pure boxer and someone sees a video of a real boxer it makes the wrestler in question look bad. Whereas in the JD example, if the commentator tweets / says 'Jordan is not just a terrifyingly good wrestler who can break you without you knowing it, he can also fight you like a pitbull'
    That is believable in a fake world. It is stilla legit thing to say in context.

You cant take wrestling seriously enough to post opinions online and then say 'well its only wrestling they are supposed to be over the top and stupid about it' .....

If you compare anything from decades ago to today it will sound dated, but you need to realise that without the wrestling/wrestlers of the 2000's who kept the circuit going when it was beyond rough, there wouldnt be an OTT et al going now for your enjoyment. So at the time Darcy was great, this is a new time and if the current commentator (i am sure he is lovely) commentated like it was 2019 instead of 2003 (in my opinion - means nothing) the entire show would be better

Yep, so that's your opinion, which is fine. I'm sure your opinion on his talents as an actor are equally as valid and open to criticism, because it just came off as being a bit of a half arsed insult, in broad strokes, on the guy himself as opposed to a well thought out critique of modern wrestling commentary.

If you're an MMA guy coming from a world where Joe Rogan called Rousey's stand up training videos amazing and said she was a terrifying striker, it's all subjective.

Personally, I think Aongho is leagues above any other European indy commentator, and better than most US guys too. His experience as an actor comes through when he is commentating. Not trying to get himself over, just the talent in the ring and the promotion as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ThePott

Looks like Steve Savage is out of his match with Justy in Limerick this Sunday. I'm hoping it's a swerve and not real trouble with his knee, but it's impossible to guess these days!

A real shame, seems they keep playing up his knee injury so I'm assuming it is a work, hopefully.

Interested to see who replaces him in the main event though.

Mate never mentioned anyones acting. The fella runs his own theatre company, thats leagues above anything I can comment on in terms of acting.

Joe Rogan is now embarrased about his comments on Rousey, he has publicly stated that.

Sure there is enough wrestling for everyone. OTT is great, if the only complaint I have is the commentator going a bit over the top then they aint doing too bad.

Yep, so that's your opinion, which is fine. I'm sure your opinion on his talents as an actor are equally as valid and open to criticism, because it just came off as being a bit of a half arsed insult, in broad strokes, on the guy himself as opposed to a well thought out critique of modern wrestling commentary.

If you're an MMA guy coming from a world where Joe Rogan called Rousey's stand up training videos amazing and said she was a terrifying striker, it's all subjective.

Personally, I think Aongho is leagues above any other European indy commentator, and better than most US guys too. His experience as an actor comes through when he is commentating. Not trying to get himself over, just the talent in the ring and the promotion as a whole.

OTT is great, if the only complaint I have is the commentator going a bit over the top then they aint doing too bad.[/QUOTE]

tenor.gif

Mate never mentioned anyones acting. The fella runs his own theatre company, thats leagues above anything I can comment on in terms of acting.

Joe Rogan is now embarrased about his comments on Rousey, he has publicly stated that.

Sure there is enough wrestling for everyone. OTT is great, if the only complaint I have is the commentator going a bit over the top then they aint doing too bad.

The original post quoting Aongho's tweets cast a few aspersions on his acting

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The original post quoting Aongho's tweets cast a few aspersions on his acting

Was that not posted by somebody else?

Either way, it's shaping up to be a great weekend. I've tickets for OTT on Saturday and Phoenix on Sunday. Anyone else going to both?

• Advertisement

I don't know what's worse about this man. The fact that he's an actor who doesn't act very well on commentary or tweets like this.
    Wrestling's not real like, stop clutching at straws.

https://twitter.com/AonghusOg/status/1104487950207852549?s=19

It's a thread so click in and read it all.

Yep, here's the original, my bad!

Was that not posted by somebody else?

Either way, it's shaping up to be a great weekend. I've tickets for OTT on Saturday and Phoenix on Sunday. Anyone else going to both?

Going to Scrapper but might end up flying solo! Not sure how much craic that'll be, but need to see Devlin beat Walter! It'll be like Shane Long V Germany all over again!

need to see Devlin beat Walter! It'll be like Shane Long V Germany all over again!

Ah yes that famous German Walter, who is Austrian :pac:

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ah yes that famous German Walter, who is Austrian :pac:

Same thing... Amiright....

I can think of one other Austrian frequently called German too, who equally deserved 4 quick slaps and a piledriver

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

I don't know what's worse about this man. The fact that he's an actor who doesn't act very well on commentary or tweets like this.
    Wrestling's not real like, stop clutching at straws.

I have only been to the one show and have never listened to the commentary so I can hardly be one to judge. I will say that there's a cheesiness to him to me, comes across as a typical TV presenter. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing to be fair to him.

The tweets however were a bit long winded, he could have spread them out altogether. The boxing references just tell me he's a total Devlin fan boy, and that's ok too. I presume that's part of it.

When he was listings off the 4 strikes it reminded me of this beauty from Nuns On The Run.

I'm sure he's trying his best anyway. Majority seem to like him.

Hope it's a good show for everybody going!

nazmoalex wrote: »
    I have only been to the one show and have never listened to the commentary so I can hardly be one to judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZVtb7Ua3E4

Liger having his breakfast in Supermacs is the best tweet you'll see all week!

https://twitter.com/Liger_NJPW/status/1106521745815556096

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Liger having his breakfast in Supermacs is the best tweet you'll see all week!

https://twitter.com/Liger_NJPW/status/1106521745815556096
    That's incredible

That's incredible

Japanese Tourist list of Irish attractions:

Guinness storehouse
    GPO
    Giants Causeway
    Supermacs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Japanese Tourist list of Irish attractions:

Guinness storehouse
    GPO
    Giants Causeway
    Supermacs

My gf was weak for the Butter Museum in Cork, made me laugh so much!

Advertisement