Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ThePott

I would have thought Phoenix and OTT had a decent relationship. There's a significant overlap in their talent pool.

Phoenix have promoted OTT shows so they get on quite well seemingly.
    As for the business side of things, I get it they're a business and competition and all that but if we're honest there's no real competition to OTT in Ireland as far as scale they're a mile above the rest.

That's not a knock against the others, the talent and matches are still outstanding at other indie shows but it would be like comparing an indie movie to a blockbuster imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Sirsok wrote: »
    That's the kind of attitude you want in business, your competitors are the ones that can potentially take food off your plate. I am by no means an OTT diehard, but from a business perspective if someone set up in my backyard and we compete for the same business, I'd be pissed but I'd want to prove why my product is better.

Sane when expanding to different markets, if I was Phenoix, I'd be pissed but I'd set out to make a point, that my product is better.

I'd say TNA, ROH, NJPW are pissed that AEW is about, but it's up to them to be better them an alternative.

TBH its just what wwe does when any competition rears its head the biggest companies never want to lose anything obviously smaller scale in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Or, people go to the OTT show to see PAC, and then see some of the Phoenix lads, get flyered, and turn into Phoenix fans, because that's how Indy wrestling works

Pretty much, that's what I mean they have no competition. They're on a different level to the other Irish promotions.

It wouldn't take away from indie wrestling, same people will go and considering the amount of Irish talent and talent sharing that goes on it will likely just boost the reputation of those guys in the area when they do end up at a smaller show which helps the Indie promotion when they book them.

A rising tide raises all boats and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

Courage should try to run Dublin that weekend OTT is out of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

ThePott wrote: »
    Seems like Phoenix have changed things up with their schedule. Next show was going to be in Limerick.

Now it looks like their show is going to be called The Battle of the Bastards on May 25th in Cork. It's BYOB too so probably not on in the Kino. Tickets on sale tomorrow with some more details then I'd imagine.

Pac?

Are you associated with Phoenix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

showpony1 wrote: »
    Courage should try to run Dublin that weekend OTT is out of town.
    Courage is dead.

bot43 wrote: »
    Are you associated with Phoenix?

Not at all. I know some of the wrestlers a little bit but that's about it.
    It's just my local so I'm happy to shout about it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Anyone have a run down on what exactly happened with courage wrestling.

I see Aoghus McAnanlly had a tweet up about it, on some people slagging it off every now and then as a scam.

What was the actually story

Sirsok wrote: »
    Anyone have a run down on what exactly happened with courage wrestling.

I see Aoghus McAnanlly had a tweet up about it, on some people slagging it off every now and then as a scam.

What was the actually story

They had sold next to no tickets for their city center show in Button Factory so the promotors cancelled the show the week of to avoid burning bridges with that venue for other projects. Car crash stuff really.

• Advertisement

They had sold next to no tickets for their city center show in Button Factory so the promotors cancelled the show the week of to avoid burning bridges with that venue for other projects. Car crash stuff really.

They had sold a lot of tickets, just not enough pre sales as expected and that the Button Factory wanted guaranteed before confirming bar staff etc, so they pulled the plug

There's a low Blows podcast about it and all the other actual issues it had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah as someone who was in those conversations, I can confirm that like I imagine most stuff showpony says, he wasn’t in said conversations and has no clue what he’s talking about. Anyone is welcome to go back to listen to the Low Blows we did on it if you want to know, we spent about 45 mins breaking down the whole scenario in detail. There’s also stuff on here on the day. You can go back and watch me correct showpony as he claimed to know stuff before we’d even told all of the wrestlers the full story.

As for Aongho...another person who wasn’t there. I do remember warning the Courage lads before they even started that there would be attempts to drag their names through the mud by certain people and, well, sadly that’s out there as a warning sign for all to see now. It’s a shame as 99% of all involved just want to work without these digs and drama. Finn Balor’s promo in OTT about how everyone should work together to all succeed comes to mind.

leggo wrote: »
    As for Aongho...another person who wasn’t there. I do remember warning the Courage lads before they even started that there would be attempts to drag their names through the mud by certain people and, well, sadly that’s out there as a warning sign for all to see now. It’s a shame as 99% of all involved just want to work without these digs and drama. Finn Balor’s promo in OTT about how everyone should work together to all succeed comes to mind.
    I'm blue in the face from saying it, OTT were out to get Courage before they ever put a foot wrong. The first show that was a charity show had OTT people like Justy and Aonghus attacking them with little proof and of course the Twitter virgin army swooped in behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Justy didn’t to be fair.

leggo wrote: »
    Justy didn’t to be fair.
    The unprovoked attack from Advanced Ghost on Justy isn't really fair - he worked for Low Blows, would be very odd if he attacked his own people with a "Virgin Army". Aongho I did hear publicly slate Courage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I follow the OTT voice guy and taught it was odd he just out of the blue had a go at the Courage Wrestling lads. Just downloaded that low blows podcast.

Phoenix's Battle of the Bastards in the Circus Factory last night, here's a quick write-up.

Started with Andy Steele vs Matt Skyler. Good opener, lots of Jimmy Carr chants for Steele, Skyler is still very over and his newest t-shirt seemed to be selling a lot (got one myself). Too really good guys who definitely have a bright future. Fosbury flop to the outside by Skyler was awesome. Steele came away with the win.

Justy returned from suspension to face Stoner Dan. Justy was suspended for use of foul language and offending. So he now has someone to protect his right to free speech in Liam Royal who threatened the sound guy who cut his mic for repeating his previous statement he got suspended for. Cut a promo on how ludicrous the whole thing was and how the irony isn't lost that the show has Bastards in the title and they complain about language. Good match, started with Stoner Dan essentially landing moves without realising it. Liam Royal was a big factor, threatening people at ringside and getting involved. Justy won as a result.

Raven Creed vs. LJ Cleary next. Really great match between these too, Cleary came out in a Raven t-shirt and attacked her before the bell. Not much to say about it, the two had great chemistry and crowd were into it. Raven won the bout.

The Resurgence (Bingo Ballance, Bruiser, Butch Armstrong, Alexander Dean) vs. Billy Bedlam, Marion Armstrong, J-Money, Danno Burns.
    This was mad, Lots of massive brawling and multi man spots. Came down to Marion being alone and outnumbered. Got it down to just Butch and Dean, the two lads who basically formed the Resurgence. Dean seemingly talked Butch into turning on Marion months ago. Huge pop when Marion managed to eliminate Butch who tried attacking with a chair and ended up taking a nasty looking suplex onto the chair. Crew were checking on him and he didn't come out at the end, not sure if it was just selling but looked nasty as hell. Dean had Marion in a submission (a really painful looking sort of claw hold on the face, not sure what to call it). Marion was rendered unconcious but never tapped. Resurgence came back out and stood over Marion, stating that as far as their business with J-Mony, Burns and Marion they were done. As for Bedlam, him and Bruiser will face off at the next Kino show and if Bedlam loses he must retire (I believe that was the stipulation.)

After intermission, Big Win Mick's Big Win Open Challenge. Michael May has been undefeated in this since it began. Was answered by Terry Thatcher. Good match with Tony Kelly as manager lots of shenaigans. Ending was screwy. Terry accidentally hit the ref but then beat May. Resulting in his music playing and seemingly getting the win. However after hitting the ref he ended up being DQ'd and Michael May got the win.

Semi-Final of the Empress Tournament to decide who will go on to face Amy Allonsy to crown the first Champion in Phoenix Wrestling. Myla Grace vs. Debbie Keitel. Match was good but felt a bit short. Of note here was that Raven came out to do commentary. She ended up getting into the ring and doing a backstabber to Myla who as a result got pinned by Keitel. Then Raven backstabbed her too. Interesting possibilities here. Debbie cost Raven her place in the Empress tournament to begin with. So whether Raven is going to get her in the final just so she can take cost her the belt or is hoping to reignite their longtime rivalry if Debbie gets the title, I don't know. Very interested to see where it goes though.

Kings of the North vs. Kings of Catch (c) for the ICW Tag Team Championship. Great match, outside brawling was fantastic. Kings of the North need to ease up on the Deep Heat though. Girvan and Aspen kicked ass. Really tough looking match. Kings of Catch won but hinted that they may be back in Phoenix.

Overall great show, I should mention that I was being blinded by a spotlight for most of the show so missed some stuff and possibly got some stuff wrong. Thought the mic quality was a bit muddled at times too but it may have been cause I was near the speakers. I gotta pick better seats in other words :pac: . Minor quibbles but the show was really good and set up some really interesting possibilities. Next show is in the Kino in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Looks like Raven Creed and Valkyrie at the UK Performance Center 5th and 6th from the start. Martina 3rd as well I think. Oh and Debbie Keitel 4th from the end.

Irish girls at WWE UKPC

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Incredible representation, in fairness. Hope they all get on great at it.

With these new 5 year NXT contracts, as odd as it is to say, it's a bad time to sign with them. I know that's a stupid thing to say and we'd all chew our own arms off for a WWE contract I'm sure, but 5 years doing only select Indy's and having no control over the rest of your schedule could be detrimental to indy wrestlers. Maybe £24k plus indy booking and merch money is worth it for some, and obviously it's a dream contract, but with what's happening with AEW and the indy's in general, maybe not a bad thing to not get offered something.

That being said, fair play to all of them and it's well deserved

• Advertisement

brianblaze wrote: »
    With these new 5 year NXT contracts, as odd as it is to say, it's a bad time to sign with them. Maybe £24k plus indy booking and merch money is worth it for some, and obviously it's a dream contract, but with what's happening with AEW and the indy's in general, maybe not a bad thing to not get offered something.

Are you John Moxley?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, well done to them all, and I hope it all goes well for them.

Are you John Moxley?

Are you John Moxley?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm John Moxley, and so is my wife!

brianblaze wrote: »
    Are you John Moxley?
    No, this is Patrick.

No, this is Patrick.

Anything to young Mary, the one from Ballinahoop, Mary Moxley, had the dog with the ear?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Looks like Meltzer is reporting Martina is signing to NXT UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Next OTT card is unreal.

Phoenix Show last night, Bedlam's Big Birthday Bash at the Kino.
    Was an absolute banger.

ICW Tag Team Championship Match w/Kings of Catch (c) taking on the Resurgence (Bingo Ballance and Alexander Dean) and More Than Hype (without LJ). Fun match, they had great chemistry and some of the hits looked really rough in a good way, everyone in the match was on top form. The MTH lads playing sides was a highlight, joining the Resurgence only to try join the Kings of Catch 5 seconds later and seemingly convinced they were in was great. KOC retains.

Stoner Dan vs. Owen Richards. Grand match, crowd loved Dan and hated Owen, his whole positivity schtick works pretty well. Stoner Dan won.

Andy Steel took on Raven Creed. This was a savage match. The Jimmy Carr chants came out in full effect again and he acted like a sexist pr1ck a few times but damn good showing all around. Some good sequences and stiff looking hits. Big shock was that Amy Allonsy came in with the distraction which gave Andy Steel a chance to get the win. Raven had previously gotten Debbie Keitel into the final for the Women's title (next show is the final) and said she did it just so she could be at her happiest to have it torn away from her, Amy has been saying that she doesn't like being an after thought and that if she wants that title it will be hers not because of Raven but because she is good enough to win it. Interesting landscape for the final, triple threat? Shenanigans? Who knows but should be good.

Scum of the South (Marion Armstrong and Danno Burns) took on Justy and Liam Royal. Justy was his usual self, swearing and tearing into the audience and the political correctness. Liam Royal looked like a beast. Good match all in all.

After intermission we got the return of the Big Win Mick Big Win Open Challenge, I was late back but it seems two men answered the call; LJ Cleary and Scotty Davis! Despite a brief alliance Cleary and Michael May turned on each other too. Cracker of a match from some of the best young talent in Ireland. Big Win Mick once again walks away undefeated in the BWMBWOC (mouthful).

3-Way Tag match. Fabulous Nicky and Matt Skyler, Club Rock Shandy and B-Cool with a mystery partner. Of course everyone expected Angel Cruz but B-Cool informed us that he couldn't make it but he recommended the best man for the job and out came Mr. Charlie! Who is a local talent with the gimmick of being a children's tv host (before Bray Wyatt did) and he came out with a box and of course it begged the question of what's in the box which the crowd was so hyped up over! Fantastic tag match here, B-Cool got the crowd riled up because he kept teasing a tag to Charlie only to not tag him. Rock Shandy lads were entertaining as hell nad when Charlie did finally get in he cleared house pretty well. Skyler got caught in the ropes trying to go to the outside but you'd never have known it was a mistake, he recovered it so well and somehow landed on the apron and flipped off it. Really impressive stuff. I think B-Cool walked away with the win, had to remember as me and most of the crowd was so disappointed that we never learned what's in the box :(

Main event was Bruiser vs Billy Bedlam (on his 40th, hence the name) in a Four Pillars of Pain match (this meant there was a weapon chained up in each corner; chair, kendo stick, brass knuckles and tacks. There couldn't be a fall till each was used). The loser also had to retire. Shoutout first to Bedlam's entrance which featured people dressed in masks and his gear in the different stages of his career. This match was wild and absolutely unreal.

Fighting on the outside, chair vs. kendo stick, being buried under chairs, a double KO from knuckles, it was an absolute brawl. Bedlam got powerbombed onto tacks and lost. Announcing that he was retired from regular bouts at Phoenix, was an amazing match and a highnote to go out on for sure.

Whole event was great, audience was in good form especially thanks to a stag party there but it was another good show from Phoenix along with an after party at the Kino that was great craic.
    Next show is also in the Kino July 27th, their One Year Anniversary show. Which is promoting Angel Cruz as being there and of course the final of the Empress tournament (which I'm really intrigued by). Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Really hope that dean alexander did well in ICW tonight looking forward to seeing highlights of the match. Competing for the ICW title is no joke, fingers crossed the match delivered.

Irish wrestling is in sich a good state!

Advertisement