Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

According to Twitter it was a great match, would love to see Dean in OTT too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are there still tickets going for Wrestlerama this weekend? And more importantly, would I regret it if I miss the biggest show of the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

ThePott wrote: »
    Phoenix Show last night, Bedlam's Big Birthday Bash at the Kino.
    Was an absolute banger.

ICW Tag Team Championship Match w/Kings of Catch (c) taking on the Resurgence (Bingo Ballance and Alexander Dean) and More Than Hype (without LJ). Fun match, they had great chemistry and some of the hits looked really rough in a good way, everyone in the match was on top form. The MTH lads playing sides was a highlight, joining the Resurgence only to try join the Kings of Catch 5 seconds later and seemingly convinced they were in was great. KOC retains.

Stoner Dan vs. Owen Richards. Grand match, crowd loved Dan and hated Owen, his whole positivity schtick works pretty well. Stoner Dan won.

Andy Steel took on Raven Creed. This was a savage match. The Jimmy Carr chants came out in full effect again and he acted like a sexist pr1ck a few times but damn good showing all around. Some good sequences and stiff looking hits. Big shock was that Amy Allonsy came in with the distraction which gave Andy Steel a chance to get the win. Raven had previously gotten Debbie Keitel into the final for the Women's title (next show is the final) and said she did it just so she could be at her happiest to have it torn away from her, Amy has been saying that she doesn't like being an after thought and that if she wants that title it will be hers not because of Raven but because she is good enough to win it. Interesting landscape for the final, triple threat? Shenanigans? Who knows but should be good.

Scum of the South (Marion Armstrong and Danno Burns) took on Justy and Liam Royal. Justy was his usual self, swearing and tearing into the audience and the political correctness. Liam Royal looked like a beast. Good match all in all.

After intermission we got the return of the Big Win Mick Big Win Open Challenge, I was late back but it seems two men answered the call; LJ Cleary and Scotty Davis! Despite a brief alliance Cleary and Michael May turned on each other too. Cracker of a match from some of the best young talent in Ireland. Big Win Mick once again walks away undefeated in the BWMBWOC (mouthful).

3-Way Tag match. Fabulous Nicky and Matt Skyler, Club Rock Shandy and B-Cool with a mystery partner. Of course everyone expected Angel Cruz but B-Cool informed us that he couldn't make it but he recommended the best man for the job and out came Mr. Charlie! Who is a local talent with the gimmick of being a children's tv host (before Bray Wyatt did) and he came out with a box and of course it begged the question of what's in the box which the crowd was so hyped up over! Fantastic tag match here, B-Cool got the crowd riled up because he kept teasing a tag to Charlie only to not tag him. Rock Shandy lads were entertaining as hell nad when Charlie did finally get in he cleared house pretty well. Skyler got caught in the ropes trying to go to the outside but you'd never have known it was a mistake, he recovered it so well and somehow landed on the apron and flipped off it. Really impressive stuff. I think B-Cool walked away with the win, had to remember as me and most of the crowd was so disappointed that we never learned what's in the box :(

Main event was Bruiser vs Billy Bedlam (on his 40th, hence the name) in a Four Pillars of Pain match (this meant there was a weapon chained up in each corner; chair, kendo stick, brass knuckles and tacks. There couldn't be a fall till each was used). The loser also had to retire. Shoutout first to Bedlam's entrance which featured people dressed in masks and his gear in the different stages of his career. This match was wild and absolutely unreal.

Fighting on the outside, chair vs. kendo stick, being buried under chairs, a double KO from knuckles, it was an absolute brawl. Bedlam got powerbombed onto tacks and lost. Announcing that he was retired from regular bouts at Phoenix, was an amazing match and a highnote to go out on for sure.

Whole event was great, audience was in good form especially thanks to a stag party there but it was another good show from Phoenix along with an after party at the Kino that was great craic.
    Next show is also in the Kino July 27th, their One Year Anniversary show. Which is promoting Angel Cruz as being there and of course the final of the Empress tournament (which I'm really intrigued by). Looking forward to it.

Nice write up. Annoyed i missed this one but looking forward to next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ThePott

bot43 wrote: »
    Nice write up. Annoyed i missed this one but looking forward to next month.
    Cheers, was a great show alright. Shame they don't have an on-demand thing at the moment.

Next show should be interesting, they started selling them today I think. Only announced match is Keitel vs. Allonsy but sure the rest of the card will shape up soon :). Hope Angel Cruz gets a good match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Are there still tickets going for Wrestlerama this weekend? And more importantly, would I regret it if I miss the biggest show of the summer?

I got 2 tickets about an hour ago. Choices left are allocated floor seats at €30 a pop or unallocated stall seats at €21.95 each. First three rows are sold out to the usual groupies no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Omackeral wrote: »
    I got 2 tickets about an hour ago. Choices left are allocated floor seats at €30 a pop or unallocated stall seats at €21.95 each. First three rows are sold out to the usual groupies no doubt.

I went ahead and ordered two tickets a while ago too. I'll be in Dublin on Saturday night into Sunday anyway, so we're going to hang around and make a weekend of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭saladtime

Hi guys, I'm selling 2 X Gold Floor Seat tickets for Sunday as can't make it :( Cost €66, but will take €40 for the pair. DM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Brilliant show tonight. Main event was a roller coaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

The days of me buying my Ott tickets as they go on sale are over. Gonna wait for the card first. Just feels like some magic is gone.

Saw a guy complain about all the camera people. He was sitting in the front row. I could see his point, sometimes there was 7 people around a corner, if I paid for front row it would irritate me. Wasn't like they were trying to make themselves small either.

Good time overall though. Highlight was during the intermission hearing a kid gushing to Bandido about how great he is. Heartwarming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Good event and did enjoy it not a fan of the venue tho.

• Advertisement

nannerby wrote: »
    Good event and did enjoy it not a fan of the venue tho.

The venue is awkward enough alright.

Some random thoughts:

Didn't expect the surprise
    Jimmy Havoc
    appearance so that was a nice treat.

Devlin Maxer was a little too slow for me. A lot of time wasting/rest holds. Don't mind a methodical approach but this was a little but much. Finish was pretty abrupt too.

The Rapture vs Club Tropicana was good fun. Union jack/god save the queen heat. Cheap but effective.

Haskins / Thatcher had everyone really invested by the end.

Horus vs Bandido was something different, not a lucha fan but I enjoyed it.

The WALTER - Starr - Devlin storyline continues.Starr came out to a mixed reaction but had everyone behind him by the end. WALTER is such a beast. A perfect big mean bastard heel.

Was anyone at the FFPW show?
    See they're taking some heat online for a speech about Pride.
    I know many of them have been supporting LGBT charities and such so maybe it was just a good message badly conveyed.
    Anyone able to shed some light on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I gave that speech. The ‘heat’ you speak of, that I’ve seen anyway, is one person who wasn’t even at the show giving a hot take (a “1am tweet” they later called it) based off a joke tweet from a satire account about it four days after the fact. Didn’t hear a word about it until today and the show took place Friday.

The promo’s message was “If you’re an Irish wrestling fan or want to train, no matter who you are or what your background, there’s a place that will accept you where you can not only survive, but thrive.” It took 96 hours but someone, who wasn’t there, found an issue with it and backed down on said issue when asked to expand. That’s the ‘controversy’ in a nutshell.

leggo wrote: »
    I gave that speech. The ‘heat’ you speak of, that I’ve seen anyway, is one person who wasn’t even at the show giving a hot take (a “1am tweet” they later called it) based off a joke tweet from a satire account about it four days after the fact. Didn’t hear a word about it until today and the show took place Friday.
    The promo’s message was “If you’re an Irish wrestling fan or want to train, no matter who you are or what your background, there’s a place that will accept you where you can not only survive, but thrive.” It took 96 hours but someone, who wasn’t there, found an issue with it and backed down on said issue when asked to expand. That’s the ‘controversy’ in a nutshell.
    Appreciate the clarification. Wasn't trying to stir was genuinely curious, as what I'd heard didn't sound bad at all. Pretty easy for these storms in a teacup to develop on twitter. Thanks for clearing it up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

rizzla wrote: »

Good time overall though. Highlight was during the intermission hearing a kid gushing to Bandido about how great he is. Heartwarming :)

I think I sat near that kid last time Bandido was around, he absolutely was going insane for him. Naito too.

Starr v Walter was one of the best, if not the best, matches I've seen live. Very HBK / Vader at points, but told a great story.

There was an audible, tangible, real shift
    when Starr started crawling towards the belt, a moment when everyone just went 'oh sh*t, this is it'

Shades of grey all over the place as they say, but David Starr continues to be the best thing in wrestling in 2019

brianblaze wrote: »
    Starr v Walter was one of the best, if not the best, matches I've seen live. Very HBK / Vader at points, but told a great story.

There was an audible, tangible, real shift
    when Starr started crawling towards the belt, a moment when everyone just went 'oh sh*t, this is it'

Shades of grey all over the place as they say, but David Starr continues to be the best thing in wrestling in 2019
    Thought he really won the room when he stomped on the belt. He switched between face and heel a lot with the crowd reactions. Can actually see a double switch with him and devlin happening.

D.Q wrote: »
    Thought he really won the room when he stomped on the belt. He switched between face and heel a lot with the crowd reactions. Can actually see a double switch with him and devlin happening.

Shaun's hype video turned him IMO. Plus his outspoken nature with ROH and the independent movement thing. The queue for his merch was nuts after and during the show

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Loved Gresham vs May every bit as much as I hoped I would. Kudos to fight factory for getting it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I seem to be a bit out of the loop but is CCW gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I seem to be a bit out of the loop but is CCW gone?

I believe they joined the Irish wrestling promotion graveyard along with DCW and Courage.....any others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sirsok wrote: »
    I believe they joined the Irish wrestling promotion graveyard along with DCW and Courage.....any others?

Geez.
    A good few promotions come and gone since the early 2000's. Also means less schools. Which also also means less ways for guys to get on shows. Never a good thing.

Speaking of which it just must be OTT's school and FFPW school left.

Phoenix Wrestling "rose from the ashes" of CCW. They've got their first anniversary show coming up on Saturday week fortnight, and have started a school in Cork as well.

I exclusively attend OTT shows over here. Can anyone recommend talent from other promotions that are worth looking out for and maybe include a line or two of what they're all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Omackeral wrote: »
    I exclusively attend OTT shows over here. Can anyone recommend talent from other promotions that are worth looking out for and maybe include a line or two of what they're all about?

Club rock Shandy - silly gimmick in my opinion, but great tag team, should be hotting OTT scene eventually, Clong has serious martial arts skills, one to watch out for but imo may need a gimmick change, but have a fun vibe to them.

Dmitri Krakov- seen him in some excellent bouts, good highflyer, prefered his combat gear as opposed to the tights but has had some grrat matches

Phil Boyd - well he is the don of Irish wrestling, wrestler dedication is one thing but his tutelidge has played a major role in the development of recent Irish mainstays

J Money - fun gimmick, based arpund being a rich guy, alot pf character dedication

Alexander Dean - Genuinely suprised he hasnt been used by OTT, in great shape, wrestled with IWW back in the day, heaps of trainjng and dedication, recently competed in ICW for Heaveyweight title. A true player

Tron - Suprised he hasnt been used by OTT due to his size and WWE tenure

Armstrong butch and Marion - being from Kilkennt i dont get ti see much of Cork wrestling but character wise they seem on the money albeit i have never seen a match

Like yourself, mostly invested in OTT but have caight a few FFPW shpws and they are the folks that stood out.

Aparrently FFPW have alot more to offer in terms of Fabio, Big Fab and Justin Daniels, but ive only seen two of them twice and that was in their infancy.

Of those listed I've seen The Armstrongs and thought they were great craic. I think they're feuding now are they?

Phil Boyd was grand for the community hall family shows I saw him on. Was being a dastardly heel! I understand he's a trainer and hugely respected.

Saw that Tron guy before too I think. Just a big lump really from what I remember!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

99% sure tron has been in ott, maybe only once or twice though, think one occassion he was a huge scary clown guy

The Armstrongs have split up but they always put on a great show alright very charismatic guys who put on great matches. I would shout out Matt Skyler too, reckon he's going places too. Alexander Dean is great as well. Lot of good talent in Cork right now.

As was said, yeah CCW is gone and Phoenix have pretty much picked up the pieces for Cork wrestling here, they have an academy and put on shows for an older demographic and Free Gym shows, one of which is on Sunday.

Their next show is end of the month, here's the card
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D--BW7pXUAA_k0C?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    They've been going about a year now but don't have an on-demand right now so unless you're in Cork, you'll miss out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

montyrebel wrote: »
    99% sure tron has been in ott, maybe only once or twice though, think one occassion he was a huge scary clown guy

He debuted in Tivoli when lights went out in some match and he came out to ring and destroyed everyone as part of a 3 an faction with clown face paint - this was forgotten about.

he then teamed with xpac and Abyss at the Wrestle Con Tivoli show randomly a while later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

OTT announced their fifth anniversary show for October 26th. They usually bring in some big names. Can AEW guys take other bookings? Will it be NXT UK and NJPW making up the imports?

EDIT: Just saw the latest AEW news, they will run a house show on Saturdays

Advertisement