Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

Tickets for the next Phoenix Gym show on the 7th of March, Gattin with Da Lads are now on sale on Eventbrite, BYOB.

Surprised they haven't officially announced Moxley yet, guessing it will be at the show this weekend. Really curious to see who they match him with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

if he isnt wrestling justy in a evening dress match then we riot

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Great show. First half better then the second. Was in the stage seats for the second time. They guy didn't check my ticket this time or last time. So if the show not sold out just buy GA and head up to the stage section.

I had J Money and Paul Tracey behind for almost the whole show. Then in the second half Paddy M and Paul Tracey were having a great chat behind me.

B Cool vs Liam Royal, was just Tru Pro attacking B Cool with Carba Joe making the big save. Huge pop and great to see Joe back. Have to say Liam Royal kept making these odd noises. It was like in WWE 2K when you keep pressing the taunt button by mistake.

MTH Vs. E.L.P/Flip bros. Never saw E.L.P before and until he did his walking top rope death valley driver, I didn't think much of him. It was played as a comedy match and loads of mis-timed stuff, sadly the ending was botched too.

No video for Moxley. Just David Starr saying he'll take him on at SM. Jeff Cobb Vs Starr was good it just felt a little short. Jeff nose got busted open, so maybe that played into a shorter match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Great show last night. No bad matches.

Justy got booked! Great comedy match with himself, Captain Sexsea and Haskins. Big pop for Justy, well deserved too.

Women's match was great. Session Moth has become even more talented in the ring since her time in Japan. Debbie Keitel is a fantastic actress. Had us actually feeling bad for her without CT. Amy took a header on the floor I think, serious bump on her head in both ways.

Another big pop for Carl's return and setting up a match with Carl and the Woke Queens v Dan Barry and "some other queen's", apparently!

Paddy Morrow got seven shades kicked out of him by Eddie Kingston, and no better man to take a kicking and have a fight left in him. Odd finish with Eddie using the chair for a DQ loss. (He cut a to camera promo at the start of the show saying that he was gonna kick the hell out of Paddy because all his career Paddy wanted a contract and Eddie had just kept turning them down because he's self made, setting up something later)

Omari and OJMO v Scotty and Callum was good. Callum threw some serious side eye at Scotty when he was announced as the saviour of Irish Wrestling. Then when Scotty was directing traffic in the tag match Callum was more and more frustrated.

Finish was Omari pinning Scotty, while Callum refused to break the pin and watched from inches away to see Scotty lose. Setting up, I assume, Scotty, Callum and Omari for Scrapper for the title.

Huge pop for the finish of Barry v Liam Royal. Setting up B Cool and Joe v True Pros. This will be an awesome month of Barry videos for sure!

MTH had a great match with ELP and the Flip Bros. Great comedy spots, Foxy did a standing moonsault. That about sums it up as to how odd this one went!

LJ v PAC at Scrapper and Nathan and Darren v Moustache Mountain for the titles.

Main Event was about 40 minutes or so from entrances til end of the event I think. Great match. Cobb is amazing, Starr continues to be the best thing in Wrestling, anywhere. Refused to put the title on the line against an import. Set up a nice bit of drama in the match, as he could have lost and stayed champ and a lot of people assumed AEW's newest debut wouldn't be losing.

Starr won with a German Suplex, against the suplex monster, some great work from both lads. More of the ring crew helping Starr during the match. More of crowd trying to turn on Starr but still not being able to because he's amazing.

Cut a promo for Belfast, saying he'll defend against Corvin because he's OTT but that at Scrapper the title wouldn't be one the line. Danced around naming his opponent but then said Moxley and the place went wild.

EDIT

And some drunken moron got chucked out for throwing his wife's jacket and his own beer at (I think) Starr. Happy Valentine's, romance ain't dead

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Last night was epic. Starting with Club Tropicana and Mark Haskins trying to keep a straight face, then laughing uncontrollably, then making it work in his promo, and then bringing out Justy was inspired.

It was my first time ever seeing the O.J.M.O and Omari. Those guys are fantastic. Would happily pay to watch them again. Scotty Davis is the future, and Callum Black played his role to perfection.

Paddy M's chest was a mess by the end of his match. Think it was my first time seeing him in a "serious" match and not dialling up the Lads From The Flats stuff. Respect.

B.Cool is a hero, and he definitely reads the Boards.ie PW forum. :D People behind me were hoping for Angel Cruz to make the save, but only Joe could have gotten a bigger reaction.

The women's triple threat was very cleverly done. As said above, Debbie Keitel's emotion was powerful. Martina made Alonsy bring her fight to a new level. The growing depth of talent in that division over the last 5 years has been something else.

I think I actually like More Than Hype now. :eek:

And then that main event. Jeff Cobb is amazing to watch. There were moments when Starr was like a cross between Daniel Bryan (as the fighting underdog) and CM Punk as a heel, all while still being very much himself with that incredible list of nicknames.

Bring on Scrappermania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

Last night was epic. Starting with Club Tropicana and Mark Haskins trying to keep a straight face, then laughing uncontrollably, then making it work in his promo, and then bringing out Justy was inspired.

It was my first time ever seeing the O.J.M.O and Omari. Those guys are fantastic. Would happily pay to watch them again. Scotty Davis is the future, and Callum Black played his role to perfection.

Paddy M's chest was a mess by the end of his match. Think it was my first time seeing him in a "serious" match and not dialling up the Lads From The Flats stuff. Respect.

B.Cool is a hero, and he definitely reads the Boards.ie PW forum. :D People behind me were hoping for Angel Cruz to make the save, but only Joe could have gotten a bigger reaction.

The women's triple threat was very cleverly done. As said above, Debbie Keitel's emotion was powerful. Martina made Alonsy bring her fight to a new level. The growing depth of talent in that division over the last 5 years has been something else.

I think I actually like More Than Hype now. :eek:

And then that main event. Jeff Cobb is amazing to watch. There were moments when Starr was like a cross between Daniel Bryan (as the fighting underdog) and CM Punk as a heel, all while still being very much himself with that incredible list of nicknames.

Bring on Scrappermania.

what did B Cool say from the forum?
    why did you not like MTH?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

showpony1 wrote: »
    what did B Cool say from the forum?
    why did you not like MTH?

He didn't name the forum, but the "slap the mat" comment was surely inspired by recent discussions here. :D

I think MTH were heels when I first saw them, and I didn't fully buy them as faces again afterwards. No doubts about how good they are now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am pretty sure every Irish wrestler does or at least has had read boards.ie pro wrestling section or some point :P Curious to see if people mention you etc.

The mat slappers thing did make it over to twitter as well.
    Heard it mentioned by a few wrestlers at shows now.

There were a group behind me non stop giving out about them. Jesus lads, let people have a passion for something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

Mat slapping is pathetic! It is all about 'get me more over than the other fans'..... Started years ago in roh and it's still a joke in 2020.

Aaaaaaanyway, the point I was trying to make is that B-Cool/Barry Nasty/the Hardy Tank is gold on the mic, as well as in video promos.

Aaaaaaanyway, the point I was trying to make is that B-Cool/Barry Nasty/the Hardy Tank is gold on the mic, as well as in video promos.

This month of Barry and Joe promo videos is going to be unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mat slapping is pathetic! It is all about 'get me more over than the other fans'.....

Apt user name all the same :pac:

You forgot his newest moniker.

Matt Slapper.

The screen name is 100% accurate ....

2 lads slap a matt at the end of that video. pathetic, looking for attention. Up there with 'this is awesome'

Omackeral wrote: »
    Apt user name all the same :pac:

You forgot his newest moniker.

Matt Slapper.

The screen name is 100% accurate ....

2 lads slap a matt at the end of that video. pathetic, looking for attention. Up there with 'this is awesome'

Lad, we're here trying to talk about what's great in Irish wrestling. Take your toxic negatively to Twitter for a while.

Dear insect overlord, pointing out the madness means we can talk about it and deal with it. If it is dealt with it disappears........ Pretending stuff isnt bad doesnt help anyone......
    Lad, we're here trying to talk about what's great in Irish wrestling. Take your toxic negatively to Twitter for a while.

If it is dealt with it disappears........

I wouldn't want to be a Mat Slapper right now.

dealt with
    Let's get a bit of perspective here, all that's happening here is people b1tching about other people who are fans for something they don't enjoy. It doesn't deal with anything, it's just calling people out with total anonymity.
    All it does is put people down and accomplishes nothing.

You don't have to like it, I'm indifferent to it personally but let fans be fans FFS, If they're enjoying the show so much and so into that atmosphere who are they hurting. You might find it cringe, that's fine but there's people who find wrestling in general cringe so who really cares. Let them slap as many mats as they want as long as the promotions and talent are okay with it. You don't have to like it but complaining about it achieves nothing but adding to the nitpicking nature of wrestling fans and the negativity of the IWC. Irish wrestling is a small scene, there's no need for this carry on, it was embarassing enough the first time.

You think when i say dealt with you think I mean like the sopranos? Ah lads!

Talk about it, point out the stupidity and people will stop doing it to try and get your applause. It is ruining peoples enjoyment.

Grow up a bit

ThePott wrote: »
    Let's get a bit of perspective here, all that's happening here is people b1tching about other people who are fans for something they don't enjoy. It doesn't deal with anything, it's just calling people out with total anonymity.
    All it does is put people down and accomplishes nothing.

You don't have to like it, I'm indifferent to it personally but let fans be fans FFS, If they're enjoying the show so much and so into that atmosphere who are they hurting. You might find it cringe, that's fine but there's people who find wrestling in general cringe so who really cares. Let them slap as many mats as they want as long as the promotions and talent are okay with it. You don't have to like it but complaining about it achieves nothing but adding to the nitpicking nature of wrestling fans and the negativity of the IWC. Irish wrestling is a small scene, there's no need for this carry on, it was embarassing enough the first time.

• Advertisement

Talk about it, point out the stupidity and people will stop doing it to try and get your applause. It is ruining peoples enjoyment.

Grow up a bit

How does a lad slapping the mat ruin your enjoyment?

I don't think anyone thought you meant that you were planning a hit on them lad.
    The point is, it's not up to you to determine what's stupid or not. I would say the majority of people are indifferent to the mat slapping. Certainly no one is applauding them like you're suggesting.
    You're taking shots at people for doing nothing except enjoying a show, leave them off.

I think you should maybe grow up a bit yourself if someone slapping the mat is enough to ruin a show for you.
    Anyway this discussion has been had before and was unproductive at best and embrassing at worst. Maybe just nip it in the bud like Insect Overlord was suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ThePott wrote: »
    I don't think anyone thought you meant that you were planning a hit on them lad.
    The point is, it's not up to you to determine what's stupid or not. I would say the majority of people are indifferent to the mat slapping. Certainly no one is applauding them like you're suggesting.
    You're taking shots at people for doing nothing except enjoying a show, leave them off.

I think you should maybe grow up a bit yourself if someone slapping the mat is enough to ruin a show for you.
    Anyway this discussion has been had before and was unproductive at best and embrassing at worst. Maybe just nip it in the bud like Insect Overlord was suggesting.

Said like a true Mat Slapper :P

Just nipped to the shops there and saw a poster for a show this coming Sat Evening in Drimnagh from ''Irish School of Wrestling''. Not sure I've heard of them before but the poster has many regulars like Liam Royal, Debbie Keitel, Club Tropicana and B. Cool so should be a laugh. Anyone any insight?

I've never actually slapped a mat at a wrestling show tbh, not for me but sure let others do it if they feel so inclined haha.

School of Irish Wrestling is OTT's training school. They put on shows from time to time featuring some younger talent and generally don't think they have imports. They haven't done too many shows yet though afaik.

Just nipped to the shops there and saw a poster for a show this coming Sat Evening in Drimnagh from ''Irish School of Wrestling''. Not sure I've heard of them before but the poster has many regulars like Liam Royal, Debbie Keitel, Club Tropicana and B. Cool so should be a laugh. Anyone any insight?

That's the OTT school

It is all about taking attention from the action to the fans. Same as the stupid chants and the whats etc....

I am out of the game, I wont go to a show because of this nonsense. They dont make it for me anymore and thats all good.

Just the behaviour is not about showing enjoyment anymore, its about getting attention which takes a big d0mp on the people in the ring working hard.

It is exactly like heckling a comedian. It takes time for the comedian to get everyone together again after the flow is gone

But enjoy what you enjoy. its all good

showpony1 wrote: »
    How does a lad slapping the mat ruin your enjoyment?

Oh, and I'm calling it now, Liam Royal destined for big things soon. Chap is getting bigger and better every show. He's a good promo now too and I'd say he'll be noticed and signed in the next twelve months

It is all about taking attention from the action to the fans. Same as the stupid chants and the whats etc....

I am out of the game, I wont go to a show because of this nonsense. They dont make it for me anymore and thats all good.

Just the behaviour is not about showing enjoyment anymore, its about getting attention which takes a big d0mp on the people in the ring working hard.

It is exactly like heckling a comedian. It takes time for the comedian to get everyone together again after the flow is gone

But enjoy what you enjoy. its all good

I didn't realize people were actually stopping watching the match to applaud the mat slappers each time, i can see how that would be distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I'd go to the OTT shows on a semi regular basis (probably 4 or 5 a year) and can't say they bother me at all. In the big matches it can add something extra to it. Honestly I think part of the appeal about Irish wrestling (apart from the decent pay and good accommodation OTT provides) is the hot crowds, to me attacking those people who are so passionate about Irish wrestling seems counter-productive.

• Advertisement

(apart from the decent pay and good accommodation OTT provides).

How do you know these type of details LineOfBeauty?

Advertisement