Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

showpony1 wrote: »
    How do you know these type of details LineOfBeauty?

Fairly common knowledge I thought. OTT pays well for a one off indie date (and tend to rely on storylines more than most indies thus more potential for overseas imports to get more than 1 date, plus they share the cost of travel with some UK indies and the odd time WXW) plus they use a 4 star hotel for the overseas wrestlers (not a regular occurrence in wrestling.)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Fairly common knowledge I thought. OTT pays well for a one off indie date (and tend to rely on storylines more than most indies thus more potential for overseas imports to get more than 1 date, plus they share the cost of travel with some UK indies and the odd time WXW) plus they use a 4 star hotel for the overseas wrestlers (not a regular occurrence in wrestling.)
    Does OTT really make enough money for that to be sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭NITRO95

They have been doing it for the past 6 years so yes I'd say it's a fairly sustainable model.

Fun bit of info, the reveal of Marty Scurll joining the Bullet Club was filmed in a Dublin hotel when The Elite were over here for an OTT show

They do fine, and the overseas guys like coming over and the big names usually get a meet and greet and clean up at the merch table. The landscape they operate in is the bigger concern, both in terms of wrestling and event management.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Omackeral wrote: »

Just nipped to the shops there and saw a poster for a show this coming Sat Evening in Drimnagh from ''Irish School of Wrestling''. Not sure I've heard of them before but the poster has many regulars like Liam Royal, Debbie Keitel, Club Tropicana and B. Cool so should be a laugh. Anyone any insight?

Ive been to a few of these shows and would recommend them obviously not the standard of their main shows but good fun all the same and costs feck all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

I doubt the payments being made by OTT to workers are "common knowledge". Are you an insider LineOfBeauty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

How do you know these type of details LineOfBeauty?

Tbh, Joe has said the same, that he puts them up in nice places, in interviews.

The airfare cost seems to be split with whoever has the other days that weekend.

I doubt the payments being made by OTT to workers are "common knowledge". Are you an insider LineOfBeauty?

I'm not sure what an insider really means but OTT paying well, being accommodating (in terms of travel, hospitality, extras for the guys like meet and greets and such and then actual being a pretty hot place to be seen to be) is all well known I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Plus, look at the love that guys like Osprey and Dunne have for the place. That's not for nothing (said like Tazz for effect)

What's the odds of a split crowd at Scrapper for Starr v Moxley? How weird would it be for a huge name import not to be universally loved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You think when i say dealt with you think I mean like the sopranos? Ah lads! Talk about it, point out the stupidity and people will stop doing it to try and get your applause. It is ruining peoples enjoyment.

Grow up a bit

Mod note: Yeah so if you're going to insult/dismiss other people's opinion with snippy remarks, or continue to skirt the line, we'll hand out bans and/or lock the thread for a bit. It's incredulous how this thread needs more modding attn than every other thread on the forum combined - it doesn't do Irish promotions any favours. Please be respectful, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Still find the mat slapper hate bizarre btw. It’s not the cinema or theatre like, a big and crucial part of the show is fan reactions, this is how some people choose to react. It’s essentially an empathic clap and I don’t see how it’s more distracting than chants or claps.

Being perfectly honest, and I’ve said this before, any hatred for it smacks a bit of jealousy at these people getting appreciation or attention. For example, there were no major ‘mat slapping’ moments this weekend. We’re talking about this because a wrestler mentioned it in a promo...nobody has actually *done* anything to anger anyone, yet people are triggered all the same. I think if most people here did something fun and different with mates to show their appreciation and it got mentioned positively by those on the show, they’d probably be made up. These lads get shout outs all the time so the bit of heat they’re picking up here is almost predictable, if a little bizarre considering I imagine most of us are grown men in our 30’s...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Moving on, and looking outside of Dublin, it seems Steve Savage is nearly ready to make his comeback in Phoenix Wrestling. He's been out of the ring ever since some heinous and reprehensible actions ( :pac: ) by Justy in Dolan's Warehouse in Limerick last St.Patrick's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

Yep coming back as part of the tag team Damaged Goods with Dean Power.
    Really liked their promo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dlync02

Quick question, how strict are OTT with the age limit? Scrappermania is over 15s but my son is 12 (wouldn't pass for 15 either), do you see many younger kids get into the over 15/16 shows? The only reason I'd go is if I could take him.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Tag match from the weekend with Scotty & Callum v Omari and OJMO was fantastic. I've really enjoyed Omari since he has come to OTT. I hope it's just Scotty v Omari at ScrapperMania and they don't shoehorn Callum into the match.

The angle with Joe coming down to save B Cool was absolutely brilliant, building erupted when Joe came out and rightfully so after all the build they've put into that moment. Love B Cool.

The MTH 6 man match was an absolute waste of my time. Was hoping the crowd would stop asking for flips so these lads would stop running around the building and just wrestle. Also that MTH activated spot they do is so bad. Sometimes MTH matches work for me and sometimes they don't.

The women's three way was not good, a couple of kicks right out in front of me were a mile off. Got me back into it a bit with the Martina and Amy strike exchange but didn't think this match was much to get excited about.

Starr v Cobb was fine but I just couldn't get into. They've done a great job building to ScrapperMania though. I am very excited for it already with the Starr v Mox match and the Joe / B Cool tag team. Just hope it's Omari v Scotty 1 on 1 too. This is the best built undercard they've had in a long time. The promos and hype video for the Starr v Mox match should be great.

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    Tag match from the weekend with Scotty & Callum v Omari and OJMO was fantastic. I've really enjoyed Omari since he has come to OTT. I hope it's just Scotty v Omari at ScrapperMania and they don't shoehorn Callum into the match.

The angle with Joe coming down to save B Cool was absolutely brilliant, building erupted when Joe came out and rightfully so after all the build they've put into that moment. Love B Cool.

The MTH 6 man match was an absolute waste of my time. Was hoping the crowd would stop asking for flips so these lads would stop running around the building and just wrestle. Also that MTH activated spot they do is so bad. Sometimes MTH matches work for me and sometimes they don't.

The women's three way was not good, a couple of kicks right out in front of me were a mile off. Got me back into it a bit with the Martina and Amy strike exchange but didn't think this match was much to get excited about.

Starr v Cobb was fine but I just couldn't get into. They've done a great job building to ScrapperMania though. I am very excited for it already with the Starr v Mox match and the Joe / B Cool tag team. Just hope it's Omari v Scotty 1 on 1 too. This is the best built undercard they've had in a long time. The promos and hype video for the Starr v Mox match should be great.

Quite negative towards some of our Irish talents there.

Didn't Callum not break the pin on purpose meaning he'll be there too? I hope so, he's a hoss!

Also, Omari is gonna be huge someday

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Quite negative towards some of our Irish talents there.

Why should it matter where they're from? If the poster doesn't like them, then they don't like them?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

brianblaze wrote: »
    And some drunken moron got chucked out for throwing his wife's jacket and his own beer at (I think) Starr. Happy Valentine's, romance ain't dead

Ha. I saw him get kicked out, but I wasn't sure what for. I could see it coming though. I had a spot standing beside the bar entrance (best spot in the house) so I saw him come and go quite a bit with his girlfriend. They came out of the bar at one point during the Eddie Kingston match and the dude goes to the girlfriend,

"That's Eddie Kingston!"

She just shrugs and looks bored so he goes right up to her face and shouts excitedly.

"EDDIE KINGSTON!!!"

She doesn't react at all so he follows up with a good ole Ric Flair "WOOOO!!" a literal inch away from her face as they were walking back to their seats. I remember thinking that she must be a saint since she clearly had no interest in wrestling, or that fella must have gotten her the best Valentine's day present ever the day before.

• Advertisement

Ha. I saw him get kicked out, but I wasn't sure what for. I could see it coming though. I had a spot standing beside the bar entrance (best spot in the house) so I saw him come and go quite a bit with his girlfriend. They came out of the bar at one point during the Eddie Kingston match and the dude goes to the girlfriend,

"That's Eddie Kingston!"

She just shrugs and looks bored so he goes right up to her face and shouts excitedly.

"EDDIE KINGSTON!!!"

She doesn't react at all so he follows up with a good ole Ric Flair "WOOOO!!" a literal inch away from her face as they were walking back to their seats. I remember thinking that she must be a saint since she clearly had no interest in wrestling, or that fella must have gotten her the best Valentine's day present ever the day before.

just sounds like another case of a fan displaying their passion for Irish wrestling.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

just sounds like another case of a fan displaying their passion for Irish wrestling.

-_-

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

brianblaze wrote: »
    Didn't Callum not break the pin on purpose meaning he'll be there too? I hope so, he's a hoss!

Also, Omari is gonna be huge someday

Yeah probably, I just don't like triple threats and was getting excited for Scotty v Omari during that tag match. They have this Scotty v Omari thing going since December and it's a really good feud I feel so would just rather they went with that.

Yeah probably, I just don't like triple threats and was getting excited for Scotty v Omari during that tag match. They have this Scotty v Omari thing going since December and it's a really good feud I feel so would just rather they went with that.

I kind of agree. It's ok that Calum is in there for me but it's not adding a huge amount to the feud. Maybe if he was at ringside in Scotty's corner then ****ed up Scotty after he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I've never been overly impressed by Callum. Maybe I've just always caught his bad matches, but he seems to botch a lot more than the other Irish guys.

It's just been announced as Scotty vs Omari for the Scrapper match, NLW title.

Harsh on Callum being left out of the big event, prob a few on here happy that their criticism was heard.
    I imagine they'll announce he takes on the winner at "The Hangover" show.

I'm sure he'll still be involved, one way or another.

LJ vs. PAC at Scrapper. Should be pretty good! LJ is pretty terrific and has been for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

dlync02 wrote: »
    Quick question, how strict are OTT with the age limit? Scrappermania is over 15s but my son is 12 (wouldn't pass for 15 either), do you see many younger kids get into the over 15/16 shows? The only reason I'd go is if I could take him.

I'm pretty sure I saw younger kids running around the place at the last show.

Advertisement