Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

showpony1 wrote: »
    you think this should be put ahead of the health of the fans?

Have you not seen the comments on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc? The fans all want the event to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

you think this should be put ahead of the health of the fans?

If fans are concerned, they won't go. That seems fairly obvious to me? OTT aren't their parents, they're a wrestling company that needs revenue to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Iv two tickets for this if anybody is interested, face value, send me a pm if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭ThePott

I don't think anyone is expecting OTT themselves to cancel, it's a question of whether the government decides to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

ESwufyhWkAccP-b?format=jpg

LJ Cleary and David Starr worked a show in Milan, Italy on February 8th.

Mat slapping ought be suspended at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭the eternal struggler

Absolute madness if this goes ahead especially given the first death reported today and then the news that LJ and Starr just worked in Italy, **** me. Health of the fans and the performers should come first.

oneilla wrote: »
    ESwufyhWkAccP-b?format=jpg

LJ Cleary and David Starr worked a show in Milan, Italy on February 8th.

Two week incubation period on Coronavirus, so if they don't have it now, which I assume they don't, that's inconsequential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Absolute madness if this goes ahead especially given the first death reported today and then the news that LJ and Starr just worked in Italy, **** me. Health of the fans and the performers should come first.

This 100%. I’m sorry but some things are more important than wrestling. Speaking as someone has a family member that could be at risk with this, and given how infectious it is, we all need to take a step back and reduce any risk to those around us. The majority who get infected will be fine, but the issue is if they pass it on to someone that is in at risk group.

Wrestling will still be here when this passes us. The right thing to do is postpone the show.

This 100%. I’m sorry but some things are more important than wrestling. Speaking as someone has a family member that could be at risk with this, and given how infectious it is, we all need to take a step back and reduce any risk to those around us. The majority who get infected will be fine, but the issue is if they pass it on to someone that is in at risk group.

Wrestling will still be here when this passes us. The right thing to do is postpone the show.

The onus though is on individuals to protect themselves and not attend if at risk or affected, the onus is not on a company to make the decision for you?

Event insurance might cover them if the government calls it and says no events over X amount of people, but cancelling the event would totally screw OTT as well.

Speaking as a small business owner who will quite possibly be totally funked by this over the next 12 months, I would also be positioning myself to continue until it was mandatory to not go ahead, or my insurance put me in a position to cancel at as little impact as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Kills me to say it but no way should this go ahead, as said above some things are more important in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kills me to say it but no way should this go ahead, as said above some things are more important in life.

Will you still go though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

brianblaze wrote: »
    The onus though is on individuals to protect themselves and not attend if at risk or affected, the onus is not on a company to make the decision for you?

Event insurance might cover them if the government calls it and says no events over X amount of people, but cancelling the event would totally screw OTT as well.

Speaking as a small business owner who will quite possibly be totally funked by this over the next 12 months, I would also be positioning myself to continue until it was mandatory to not go ahead, or my insurance put me in a position to cancel at as little impact as possible.

It goes both ways. The responsibility is on the public to be vigilant, however you will no doubt have people who think they have no signs, will see the event as still advertised and attend, causing infection to spread. If the event isn’t on then you won’t have these people placed in close proximity with others for several hours. There was a fantastic graph doing the rounds on the impact canceling large events like this has in terms of contentment vs going ahead with them. While it will be a big financial burden, and I hope insurance and levies will help them out, it’s better to do things to stamp this out quickly so we can’t get back to normal life sooner.

It goes both ways. The responsibility is on the public to be vigilant, however you will no doubt have people who think they have no signs, will see the event as still advertised and attend, causing infection to spread. If the event isn’t on then you won’t have these people placed in close proximity with others for several hours. There was a fantastic graph doing the rounds on the impact canceling large events like this has in terms of contentment vs going ahead with them. While it will be a big financial burden, and I hope insurance and levies will help them out, it’s better to do things to stamp this out quickly so we can’t get back to normal life sooner.

I 100% understand this point of view, but my point was that if OTT cancel it, the cost to them would be detrimental.

Wisest thing from a financial (and not moral, as that's a whole separate issue) point of view is to proceed until they are told not to, at which point event insurance will cover the costs. (If they have insurance covering mandated cancellation in place)

brianblaze wrote: »

This is actually a fair point re: small business owners etc. What I meant earlier, which I should have clarified, is that the government should already have cancelled all mass gathering events by now. It's scandalous. I'm sure Joe and OTT are covered by insurance and that's exactly how it all should be.

But either way, it going ahead both for fans and for the performers is ridiculous. And it's all well and good saying "it's up to people to protect themselves" but do you think any irish talent on that card is gonna speak up and say they aren't comfortable performing on that show and ruin the opportunity? Come on.

And there'll be some fans who won't go but the vast majority absolutely will go and not give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Have two tickets for sale if anyone is interested, BLOCK B Row G, Seat 9 and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just thinking, what will happen to those who resell tickets if this does get cancelled? Presumably, the original purchaser would be refunded and not the person who bought the ticket from the reseller.

For those who don't wish to attend because of health fears are they able to get a refund. It's all nice OTT saying they shouldn't come, but do they have a way to get their money back if they decide that's the option for them? I couldn't see anything in the statement. There is a way to request a refund on eventbrite, is that what you should do, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

rizzla wrote: »
    For those who don't wish to attend because of health fears are they able to get a refund. It's all nice OTT saying they shouldn't come, but do they have a way to get their money back if they decide that's the option for them? I couldn't see anything in the statement. There is a way to request a refund on eventbrite, is that what you should do, anyone know?

They asked for your consideration & understanding on the matter in the statement. Seems harsh that you want to immediately hound them for refunds at this difficult time. your health is your wealth.

Still shocked it hasn't been cancelled yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

I wonder will Jon Moxley still agree to shake hands with 100s of dirty Irish lads for the Meet & Greet.

I wonder will Jon Moxley still agree to shake hands with 100s of dirty Irish lads for the Meet & Greet.

sure just take precautions...

Dean-Ambrose-gas-mask-raw-800x400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'd be surprised if its not cancelled in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Sorry but are you an expert on this? I’m shocked you think you can make a judgement like this when even the government and HSE with millions and a wealth of resources at their disposal haven’t been able to determine it yet.

The beginning, middle and end of it is that it would be absolute madness for OTT to commit potential financial suicide and cancel the event when Simon Harris could come out on Friday and rule that, actually, it’s fine for events like this to go ahead this weekend. They’d be mental to do so.

leggo wrote: »
    Sorry but are you an expert on this?

The chap merely expressed how he feels. Chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Travel to US from EU banned for 30 days, so if Mox shows up to this he won't be able to get back to US

Edit - Except the UK, so could possibly fly in and out of NI?

leggo wrote: »
    Sorry but are you an expert on this? I’m shocked you think you can make a judgement like this when even the government and HSE with millions and a wealth of resources at their disposal haven’t been able to determine it yet.

The beginning, middle and end of it is that it would be absolute madness for OTT to commit potential financial suicide and cancel the event when Simon Harris could come out on Friday and rule that, actually, it’s fine for events like this to go ahead this weekend. They’d be mental to do so.

Actually I said above, that OTT themselves shouldn't call it off but the government should be calling off mass gatherings. Typically you though with a high and mighty post.

St Patrick’s Day parades cancelled, PSG played behind closed doors tonight in Champions League only across the water pretty much. Many places across Europe banning gatherings of 1000 people or more. Dublin Comic Con postponed. Schools closed in this country. First death from the virus announced today.

It’s not beyond doubt that someone is surprised that a show featuring international workers in a stuffy and tight enough indoor arena with 2000 people hasn’t been pulled.

Omackeral wrote: »
    The chap merely expressed how he feels. Chill.

Cheers mate but I'm not shocked, the chap is just at his usual.

Edit: Travel to the US from Europe banned now. But I'll keep my opinion to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

With a packed Anfield tonight and I don't know how many travelling back and forth to Cheltenham, 2000 in the National Stadium feels small time to be cancelled. Travel ban will kill it though.

cian68 wrote: »
    With a packed Anfield tonight and I don't know how many travelling back and forth to Cheltenham, 2000 in the National Stadium feels small time to be cancelled. Travel ban will kill it though.

The two things you've just listed aren't in this country though so really have little to do with this at all. I understand Irish people will be at both but that doesn't matter in this country because our government has no say. I'd expect all League of Ireland games to be played behind closed doors if at all this weekend. The US guys won't fly in now either, Dan Barry and Moxley won't be there.

• Advertisement

Plenary of Irish at Anfield and plenty of people from Madrid there too. Madrid is hit very heavy at the moment. These Irish folks will have been mixing in and around with them and then just back as normal.

League of Ireland/FAI haven’t released anything concrete yet concerning the weekend except to say they’ll give updates everyday.

I figure an indoor arena is surely worse than an outdoor venue for something like this too

Advertisement