Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

How are OTT losing money as a result of this?

Advertising costs, equipment hire, potential costs from the venue, wrestlers fees.

You are also looking at projected loss in revenue the event would have generated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Flights from Europe with ryanair, possible non refundable hotel deposits, possible non refundable venue deposit, show specific merch and a million other small things. I don't know the specifics of this show but as someone who works in an events venue, there are dozens of things that have to be paid for before the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Flights from Europe with ryanair, possible non refundable hotel deposits, possible non refundable venue deposit, show specific merch and a million other small things.

I personally don't know the answer the the question how it effects OTT financially - yet there are posters launching into it who have no clue.

Anyway it would be very sad to see OTT go under if there was any threat of that cause of this but at same time i feel a bit bad for those feeling a bit pressured to hand over ticket/M&G fees to this cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭the eternal struggler

Seriously? Think alone of how much it would cost to fly in Jon Moxley. Former WWE champion, he's 100% on a first class flight, he lives in Vegas, imagine how much money that flight cost? Then add up the flights of other wrestlers he's bringing in. Even Dan Barry's flight from New York would've cost upwards of 500 euro. Then there's the building rental, advertising etc.

Seriously? Think alone of how much it would cost to fly in Jon Moxley. Former WWE champion, he's 100% on a first class flight, he lives in Vegas, imagine how much money that flight cost?

i find it hard to believe at this stage OTT will literally be bankrupt over a few thousand euro as you are painting above but perhaps i am wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭noisenotmusic

The main thing that would affect OTT is the ongoing operating cash they'll lose as well. I'd imagine events like Scrappermania make at least a good profit for them which is then used to fund the outlay needed for the rest of the years events, keeps the office going etc. Can't book some of the big name guys without at least a solid base of money built up.

Also, no one's pressuring you to do anything. The tickets will be refunded to you automatically, the main thing people are saying is get some merch. Only the hardcore will donate directly.

showpony1 wrote: »
    i find it hard to believe at this stage OTT will literally be bankrupt over a few thousand euro as you are painting above but perhaps i am wrong...

Sorry, where above did I say OTT would be bankrupt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Seriously? Think alone of how much it would cost to fly in Jon Moxley. Former WWE champion, he's 100% on a first class flight, he lives in Vegas, imagine how much money that flight cost? Then add up the flights of other wrestlers he's bringing in. Even Dan Barry's flight from New York would've cost upwards of 500 euro. Then there's the building rental, advertising etc.

Moxley actually donated a grand to the fund so he obviously thinks it's going to hit them more than him,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

showpony1 wrote: »
    I personally don't know the answer the the question how it effects OTT financially - yet there are posters launching into it who have no clue.

Anyway it would be very sad to see OTT go under if there was any threat of that cause of this but at same time i feel a bit bad for those feeling a bit pressured to hand over ticket/M&G fees to this cause.

To be fair I wouldn’t say we “don’t have a clue”, I’m only commenting on costs associated with planning large scale events regardless of “event type”, which I have organised in Dublin as part of my job.

No one is pressuring people to give to OTT, sure the fund raiser was set up by a fan, not the company. If anyone is pressuring you to donate to them then, in all honesty, name and shame them, because that’s a ****ty thing to do and doesn’t reflect the vast majority of folks donating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Just for some perspective to run Wrestlecon , which was two shows in the Tivoli with Abyss, Xpac and Chris Hero, Joe said before he needed to take out a 20k loan. And if any thing was to happen to Tivoli, say it flooded, he would lose all that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

This one was particularly painful because ordinarily you'd share the cost of outside talent with other promotions using that talent during their time in Europe. Mox and Pac were only working OTT so it's OTT that takes on the burden of the costs on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I see the goal went from 4k to 6k there overnight on the gofundme and it's nearly there.

Here's a question. Why isn't Alexander Dean wrestling for OTT? He's unreal and really coming into his own recently?

Sirsok wrote: »
    Just for some perspective to run Wrestlecon , which was two shows in the Tivoli with Abyss, Xpac and Chris Hero, Joe said before he needed to take out a 20k loan. And if any thing was to happen to Tivoli, say it flooded, he would lose all that money.

There was the Q+A also where Joe said that if the first Stadium show wasn't a success they were going to fold.

brianblaze wrote: »
    I see the goal went from 4k to 6k there overnight on the gofundme and it's nearly there.

Here's a question. Why isn't Alexander Dean wrestling for OTT? He's unreal and really coming into his own recently?

I think he was booking courage and Joe did not like Courage running dublin, so there was a rule that if you worked Courage you'd never work OTT. I think that's relaxed with J Money and others though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

Sirsok wrote: »

is he not insured? ****ty way to run a business if he isnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭hynesie08

montyrebel wrote: »

Insurance isn't magic, if they can figure out a way to get out of paying you, they will. Joe would have all the necessary insurance to run an event, but any out of pocket expenses wouldn't be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I'm sure he is, but that would cover the price of the venue, if the insurer doesn't somehow find a way to get out. Not what they've paid the likes of Chris Hero to fly over and wrestle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I'm insured, I even have loss of earnings insurance which covers force majeure etc, and they're not covering this. Pandemic apparently is totally outside anything covered in any small business insurance package

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Bit of a meh statement - you could have the best of insurance and they will still find ways to get out of paying. Travel insurance companies are not paying out on disruption due to COVID-19..... Im sure they have insurance but certain things may be excluded and wont cover everything.

I've never been to an event of OTT but obviously am familar with the company and had planned on heading to some of the events this year! Think its vital that people support it as much as possible! Think of Mox, Pac, Mustache Mountain & Toni Storm - all on WWE/AEW TV in the last 2 months and they are bringing them over.

Give them all the help we can imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Knew Tyler Bate would find another reason to no-show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SketchyPrince

Okay I won't ask any questions, thanks pal.

brianblaze wrote: »

I'd say the tiniest bit of digging on Twitter etc would answer that question for you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Omackeral wrote: »
    Knew Tyler Bate would find another reason to no-show.

This deserves more thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭ThePott

OTT have put Scrappermania V up for free and people have been doing a live tweet-along since 8pm.

https://overthetopwrestling.pivotshare.com/media/over-the-top-wrestling-presents-scrappermania-5/85078/feature?t=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I dunno about the whole OTT asking for 6k.
    If I were to donate 100 euro to them right now... On one hand it could be classed as me supporting OTT.
    On the other hand if I had problems next month paying my electricity bill would OTT help me out? Would OTT give me the same 100? They wouldn't. Let's be honest. It's a business.

Joe puts on these shows to make money and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I pay for virgin media broadband.
    I pay for Xbox game pass.
    I pay for ea access.
    I pay for ps now.
    I pay for utility bills.
    I pay for food.
    I pay for Dublin bus.
    I pay for rent.
    Etc.

These are services and goods I "consume" - it's a business transaction. Nothing more. Nothing less. You wouldn't donate 1 euro more than what you have to towards Dublin bus or your local petrol station etc would you?

Think about how that 6k could have went to people in need like charities etc.

So there for, and I am not saying this to be controversial, mean or stir the pot... But the term "mark" seems to be alive and well within the pro wrestling fan community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Except they didn’t ask for it. A fan set up the go fund me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Omackeral wrote: »
    Except they didn’t ask for it. A fan set up the go fund me.
    They won't refuse it tho

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anywho!

Aonghus Óg McAnally, Dan Barry and 2 members of Kings of The North liked my tweets and/or retweeted me on Twitter last night, so I'm happy.

If I were to donate 100 euro to them right now... On one hand it could be classed as me supporting OTT.
    On the other hand if I had problems next month paying my electricity bill would OTT help me out? Would OTT give me the same 100? They wouldn't. Let's be honest. It's a business.

Joe puts on these shows to make money and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I pay for ea access.
    I pay for ps now.
    I pay for utility bills.
    I pay for food.
    I pay for Dublin bus.
    I pay for rent.
    Etc.

These are services and goods I "consume" - it's a business transaction. Nothing more. Nothing less. You wouldn't donate 1 euro more than what you have to towards Dublin bus or your local petrol station etc would you?

So there for, and I am not saying this to be controversial, mean or stir the pot... But the term "mark" seems to be alive and well within the pro wrestling fan community.

Hopefully you can afford to still settle your electricity bill after you pay for all your video gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

I pay for ea access.
    I pay for ps now.
    I pay for utility bills.
    I pay for food.
    I pay for Dublin bus.
    I pay for rent.
    Etc.

Why do you feel like this is some sort of mandatory payment that you have to donate to OTT. Very odd post this. Keep your money and let others do what they want with theirs. Its a fan backed Go Fund Me by fans who wanted to do it. You don't need to have any involvement at all.

Advertisement