Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ftw_rep

No that's you and your friends opinions and you're more than entitled to it and once again I apologize for the offence that was caused! As I said it has been and will continue to be addressed, unfortunately some of the boys got carried away but there was no malice in it. but shall still be rectified. And we really do appreciate all feedback positive or negative, that how a young company learns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

ftw_rep wrote: »
    First of all I'd like to thank everyone that attended the event last night! And to those of you who were offended by the show or any of the content, I do sincerely apologize. No one on the roster is bigoted, racist or homophobic but some may have gotten carried away and to those offended by it, Please Accept My Apologies. It was addressed backstage and will continue to be addressed for future shows! I appreciate the feed back and I hope that those of you that did enjoy the show will continue to support FTW!

i'm glad that you've replied here and genuinely do hope that you are able to act on this if you want to expand and draw in a wider crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CarltonJones

Was at the show last night, as a gay man, i was horrified, never have i felt so alone in a place i went for entertainment, the encouragement of homophobia was ridiculous, i love wrestling, the opener was entertaining and the main was thrilling but seemed like they were trying to hard.

I have been to MSW in fibbers, that was an over 18s show and the atmosphere was not seedy like last night. They had solid wrestling without having to lower the tone.

For shame whoever thought last nights show would be 'cool' you surely are out of touch. That is not an attack on the actual wrestling btw, but if i was one of those wrestlers i would be ashamed to even be associated with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ftw_rep

Once again all I can do is apologise to those offended. As the event organizer I will take 100% of the blame as I should have been more aware of what was happening and of how things that were being said could be hurtful and insulting. I don't believe anyone was being malicious but it's more of a case of people not fully understanding how hurtful certain words can be to other people who probably have to struggle with bigotry in their lives and in going to an entertainment event were forced to endure more of it.

Today when I think of how some of my own gay friends may how reacted, I'm frankly a little embarrassed and again all I can do is apologise and promise if there is another FTW show that it certainly won't happen again. Sorry again folks.

Well sorry ftw_rep but i am actually going to the newspapers with this, I have already been in contact with the sun and they are very interested in hearing my story, you guys in wrestling are gonna get a wake-up call for your hate speech.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Allow me to bump this the next time some complains that WWE should bring back the Attitude Era.

watch a raw from that era, you will not hear homophobic or racist slurs, you have your few 'thanks' there and im sure you feel like a big man now but i dont care. I know how i felt that night and i will never forget it.

watch a raw from that era, you will not hear homophobic or racist slurs, you have your few 'thanks' there and im sure you feel like a big man now but i dont care. I know how i felt that night and i will never forget it.

My comment was in jest mainly. I tend to argue that you can't do the Attitude era today as society has changed.

But you are wrong about the homophobia and racism:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I have to add something now if this is going to get blown up, for balance. For full disclosure, I know Kev and some of the lads at the show. I wasn't at it myself so I didn't hear the comments, but have heard from a few different sources (both people involved and fans). And I'm also nothing to do with the situation at all, nor do I agree with what happened.

Carlton you've got a grovelling public apology from the promoter, though, an admission that this was a mistake. What more do you want?

The problem with the rise of the likes of Joe Duffy etc is that it makes people feel as if they've a right to publicly seek blood from anyone who wrongs them even slightly. Now if this is MCD, making millions off a concert where people were stabbed, that's fair game. But this is a small-time wrestling promotion trying to build something from nothing, making pennies from a small show where people's feelings were hurt.

That's not to make light of the severity of the comments or the impact they can have. But why take this to rags like The Sun? Do you realise that their twist on a minor incident like this could devastate all of Irish wrestling? If so, is that what you want? Or do you just want your face in the paper?

I was completely sympathetic towards you until you took that stance Carlton. Now, however, it's looking like you have an agenda and don't care how many lives get impacted. Or maybe you just don't realise that concerned parents will read that, not understand the context or even that it was on over 18s show, and never support another Irish promotion again. If it's the latter, I feel you should really re-evaluate this decision.

You are a fairly opinionated man leggo. It's too late I have already told my story, YOu and no one else can judge me. I do have a vendetta, against homophobia, i paid money to see a wrestling show and i got belittled. but if you condone this, go right ahead and enjoy your wrestling shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

Carlton thats a bit over the top....we're all wrestling fans here and would hate to see Irish wrestling get a bad name.

Carlton Jones you've every right to be offended and I seriously cringed reading the recap of the show. But going to the gutter press and a "Slurs at WWF show" story won't accomplish anything constructive compared to just contacting the promotion and/or venue.

You won't teach anyone a lesson of tolerance by picking the nuclear option so to speak. It will just turn people against you and will hurt promotions who are more responsible and family friendly.

I guess you guys are right, I am a fan and i got upset. I will certainly not be going back. Are there any shows coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sockmo

Looks like the FTW facebook page has been taken down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭CCWrestling

Check out Celtic Championship Wrestling's latest video release ''Paddys Day Massacre''. On March 17th 2013 Ireland's top wrestling talent came together to celebrate St. Patricks Day in the most traditional of ways, fighting and drinking at the boozer!.
    Join us as we celebrate our national holiday as only the Irish can at St. Vincent's Gaa Club in Cork City.

Matches include :
    Kazza G V Kasey Owens
    The Hotshots V The Fabulous Sexbombs - Nicky M & JC Williams
    Bonesaw V Vic Viper
    Bingo Ballance V The Executioner
    Lone Wolf Lycan V Big Bad Hynesie - Cork City Street Fight

Please watch this video in 1080p HD by selecting from the menu below the video.

CCW REVOLUTION : Coming soon

Check out Celtic Championship Wrestling's latest video release ''Paddys Day Massacre''. On March 17th 2013 Ireland's top wrestling talent came together to celebrate St. Patricks Day in the most traditional of ways, fighting and drinking at the boozer!.
    Join us as we celebrate our national holiday as only the Irish can at St. Vincent's Gaa Club in Cork City.

Matches include :
    Kazza G V Kasey Owens
    The Hotshots V The Fabulous Sexbombs - Nicky M & JC Williams
    Bonesaw V Vic Viper
    Bingo Ballance V The Executioner
    Lone Wolf Lycan V Big Bad Hynesie - Cork City Street Fight

Please watch this video in 1080p HD by selecting from the menu below the video.

CCW REVOLUTION : Coming soon
    Great to see gays play an active role in a promotion rather than being abused. I applaud CCW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Great to see gays play an active role in a promotion rather than being abused. I applaud CCW.

I watch watching the above vid and was awaiting your respose due to the gay character in it, and the above respose was very refreshing, its like you acknowledged that wrestling plays upon stereotypes as it is a very flambouyant character.....i am not sure what was said at ftw as i wasnt at the show and respect your right to be offended but I just hope that by contacting the paper it doesnt reflect and generalise irish wrestling (or even just wrestling) as a whole in a negative manner if they decide to run with the story as you acknowledged above not all promotions are like that.

Sirsok wrote: »
    I watch watching the above vid and was awaiting your respose due to the gay character in it, and the above respose was very refreshing, its like you acknowledged that wrestling plays upon stereotypes as it is a very flambouyant character.....i am not sure what was said at ftw as i wasnt at the show and respect your right to be offended but I just hope that by contacting the paper it doesnt reflect and generalise irish wrestling (or even just wrestling) as a whole in a negative manner if they decide to run with the story as you acknowledged above not all promotions are like that.

Thank you, I have dropped the whole newspaper thing, my hormones were all over the place after a heavy nights drinking lol. wouldnt want to tar the whole scene with the same brush as this ccw place and msw seem to be very tolerant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Thank you, I have dropped the whole newspaper thing, my hormones were all over the place after a heavy nights drinking lol. wouldnt want to tar the whole scene with the same brush as this ccw place and msw seem to be very tolerant.

Fair play, good to see common sense prevailing. The reality is that parents (the bread and butter audience for most promotions) see all Irish promotions as one and, upon reading an article like that, would just assume it was the tone for all shows. Never mind how much The Sun would spin the story to scandalise it. That alone would be merciless, mainstream media are always looking to attack pro-wrestling (maybe because they see it as a bit 'weird' or whatever, I don't know).

Meanwhile the likes of people who'd consider attending FTW shows are more likely to see the distinction here. I'd put money on it being a case of lads wanting to add a bit of an edge to an over-18's show and just getting it horribly wrong rather than, as Kev said, any malice being intended. It happens...when you try and push the boat out you're always going to get reigned back in initially. And the bad press here alone will have a knock-on effect in some way (maybe FTW won't run again and, if they do, they'll either drop the offending guys or make sure they're curtailed) so don't worry, your complaint won't go unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

That CCW show was fairly good!
    Quick question to all promoters (not FTW) any shows coming up in Dublin (south) during the summer?
    I'm staying to convince a few of my mates that you really can't beat an independent show (especially Irish)

• Advertisement

Quick question to all promoters (not FTW) any shows coming up in Dublin (south) during the summer?
    I'm staying to convince a few of my mates that you really can't beat an independent show (especially Irish)
    Next CCW Show Summerbrawl is August 10th 2013 at The Forum, Waterford. Tickets available online http://www.forumwaterford.ie/book/744025/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Bet you CarltonJones isn't a "fan" but someone involved on the irish wrestling scene who is trying to stir things up.

Any takers? ;)

Celtic Championship Wrestling will make its debut at The Forum Waterford on Saturday August 10th 2013.

A great night of high flying action for the entire family is assured as CCW invades Waterford City for the first time. Also the CCW Heavyweight Championship will be on the line as Bingo Ballance (c) defends his title against the man who physically stole his belt at our last Supershow in Cork ( CCW Revolution ) ''The Snakeman'' Vic Viper. Also the NWA International Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Champions The Big Hangovers defend their titles.
    More matches will be announced on the CCW facebook page as the weeks progress.

Tickets priced at €15 Adults/ €12.50 Kids (service charge applies) now on sale from the Next Door Off Licence Forum Waterford, 051-871133. Or online on The Forum website http://www.forumwaterford.ie/ on the listings section.

Matches Announced so far:

CCW Heavyweight Championship Match
    Bingo Ballance (c) v Vic Viper

NWA International Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match:
    The Big Hangovers (Jordan Devlin & Shawn Maxer) (c) v TBC

summerbrawl_beach.jpg

Also check out our facebook event page join, share and invite your friends https://www.facebook.com/events/566526740066376

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Why not ftw though? I heard they put on a great show irrespective of what else went on.....its the only hardcore type show we could get in ireland, when I was doing it myself thats the type I wanted to be involved in....kudos to them for doing something out of the box in regards to the type of wrestling they are trying to display!

Bet you CarltonJones isn't a "fan" but someone involved on the irish wrestling scene who is trying to stir things up.

Any takers? ;)
    Stir things up? so being offended about my sexuality is me trying to stir things up? ANd also i wish i was involved int he scene, but i am too nervous i would be rejected.

Sirsok wrote: »
    Why not ftw though? I heard they put on a great show irrespective of what else went on.....its the only hardcore type show we could get in ireland, when I was doing it myself thats the type I wanted to be involved in....kudos to them for doing something out of the box in regards to the type of wrestling they are trying to display!

It had nothing to do with what was said on the night and on the thread after, I'm just not all that into hardcore wrestling (neither are my friends really)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therickreport

i think the main issue that may have happened with the FTW show is that no other promotions in Ireland run exclusively over 18s shows as far as i know. the majority of over 18s shows tend to be just one offs every year or so just for a laugh so the wrestlers can do stuff they normally couldn't do in front of a crowd of kids. perhaps with this being exclusively over 18s a few of the guys tried to outdo what was done on the last show. though how that got towards pantomiming rape and homophobia i'm not quite sure. nonetheless it's clear that the promoter didn't intend to offend people. Irish society has just moved on from the days when racism, homophobia and sexism were exploited for comedy. it's also clear the promotion is still just finding its feet and this is a learning experience

another great CCW show. the women's match was very good. Kazza G is growing into quite a fine young talent. i could feasibly see her wrestling for a promotion like SHINE or Pro Wrestling EVE in maybe a year's time. and finally there may be something salvagable in Kasey Owens, it's easily the best match I've seen her put on. Nicky is a pretty underrated young talent in Irish wrestling. he's in complete control of his character, he's just a born entertainer. it was interesting to see the Hot Shots work face since i've normally seen them as heels. they came across as a bit doucheish anyway. perhaps Nicky would be better off as a face? he gives me some Rico vibes. i believe Siren the ring announcer is a wrestler as well isn't she? will we see her wrestling on shows soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

agree about Kazza G. she's very good. she reminds me of a young Molly Holly from her Holly Cousin days in WWE. i would love to see her in SHINE

I met Kazza at the O2 before a WWE show when she was giving out MSW flyers. I had wanted to get a pic with her because I knew her from the shows she'd been doing throughout Ireland it I chickened out at the last minute. She was lovely to everyone who she met that day though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

I only met her once briefly when she worked a show for us around last year. She seemed very friendly and her match was very good. vs Karl Brien I believe. I think there was going to be a full-on program between her and Katey Harvey but it got cut short due to Katey's injuries

Advertisement