Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Still not up on Floslam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Amazing show.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Hb6g6

I'm not sure if it's just me but after that amazing show with that stacked main event I'm in no way excited for the next National Stadium Show with Foley

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Hb6g6 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's just me but after that amazing show with that stacked main event I'm in no way excited for the next National Stadium Show with Foley

I'll be there for sure as I head to every OTT show but I'm interested in seeing who they pull for the August show to keep the momentum going. The local roster isn't deep enough yet to keep bringing out the same guys again and Joey Ryan is a negative draw for me. Stoked for Jeff Cobb, Matt Sydal and Lio Rush again though. If they can get the UK regulars they couldn't get for this weekend (British Strong Style, ZSJ etc) it could be just as stacked.

I'll be there for sure as I head to every OTT show but I'm interested in seeing who they pull for the August show to keep the momentum going. The local roster isn't deep enough yet to keep bringing out the same guys again and Joey Ryan is a negative draw for me. Stoked for Jeff Cobb, Matt Sydal and Lio Rush again though. If they can get the UK regulars they couldn't get for this weekend (British Strong Style, ZSJ etc) it could be just as stacked.

Yeah I agree but going by who their billing so far I am in no way buzzed for the August show. Your totally right Joey Ryan is a negative draw and Foley doesn't do much for me either. I hope they had some top Indy or UK guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

As stated by others, Foley doesn't do it for me. Would prefer the cost of Foley be used to get some more top U.K. stars. Then again it was only announced last night, plenty of time for more announcements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Hb6g6 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree but going by who their billing so far I am in no way buzzed for the August show. Your totally right Joey Ryan is a negative draw and Foley doesn't do much for me either. I hope they had some top Indy or UK guys.

Whatever about your personal feelings towards Joey Ryan and Mick Foley (I personally wouldn't be a fan of either but getting Foley fresh from his run on Raw is a huge coup) Jeff Cobb, Candice LaRae, Lio Rush and Matt Sydal are huge indie wrestling names so I am not sure who else you would expect OTT to bring in? OTT always have some British talent on their shows and I would be hopeful that Zack Gibson is going to become a regular now that Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate are finished with OTT. As well as one of the absolute best and most in demand wrestlers in the world Marty Scurll featuring on the majority of OTTs shows since last summer, I wonder what exactly your expectations are for an OTT show?

For the poster who said the local roster isnt deep enough to keep bringing out the same talent every show I strongly disagree. The local talent were the stars of the show last night. The womens 6 man tag and the tag title match were the best matches on the show as well as The Gymnasties vs Logan Bryce and Justin Shape match being brilliant. And you are forgetting Jordan Devlin who for contractual reasons couldnt be on the show last night.

LeeJM wrote: »
    Whatever about your personal feelings towards Joey Ryan and Mick Foley (I personally wouldn't be a fan of either but getting Foley fresh from his run on Raw is a huge coup) Jeff Cobb, Candice LaRae, Lio Rush and Matt Sydal are huge indie wrestling names so I am not sure who else you would expect OTT to bring in? OTT always have some British talent on their shows and I would be hopeful that Zack Gibson is going to become a regular now that Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate are finished with OTT. As well as one of the absolute best and most in demand wrestlers in the world Marty Scurll featuring on the majority of OTTs shows since last summer, I wonder what exactly your expectations are for an OTT show?

For the poster who said the local roster isnt deep enough to keep bringing out the same talent every show I strongly disagree. The local talent were the stars of the show last night. The womens 6 man tag and the tag title match were the best matches on the show as well as The Gymnasties vs Logan Bryce and Justin Shape match being brilliant. And you are forgetting Jordan Devlin who for contractual reasons couldnt be on the show last night.

I just don't feel the buzz for the August show is there. Not one person went on to boards after the show last night or today talking about how they can't wait to go to the August show. I think it's because when you put on such a great show last night with great talents that were there and have such a stacked main event with the Bullet Club vs the UTF it's hard to get excited for Foley, Joey Ryan, Matt Sydal, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

LeeJM wrote: »

I agree with almost all of this. What was the deal with Devlin actually. Id say he is gutted he couldnt be on the card last night. Such a great show but the pop for Martina was unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SarahVOW

Jeff Cobb, Candice and Lio Rush are brilliant.I'm not a fan if Mick or Joey myself but that bar que was very long all night so I'm not bothered something for everybody. Mick Foley is undeniably a big deal. He helped sell out that arena for TNA and always does well with his solo shows here. I really hope Candice gets a singles match though I know it's unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Iang87 wrote: »
    I agree with almost all of this. What was the deal with Devlin actually. Id say he is gutted he couldnt be on the card last night. Such a great show but the pop for Martina was unbelievable
    WWE contract stipulations can't appear on floslam I think.
    What a man Marty scurll is and he always delivers, main event awesome most of the card was unreal but one big question what, apart from his theme does grado offer any card so much homegrown talent could do better comedy than him just don't see the appeal in him. I also think we badly need the likes of rocky mac or someone to step up real soon really lacking a local face hero type to take on the likes of scurll ala lurther going against dunne.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I'm sure I'll be excited for the August show once the card starts taking shape. Seeing who Sydal is wrestling, seeing who Candice is wrestling (presumably stuck in some comedy tag with Joey against one of the irish teams) seeing what direction they go on with Smile and the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

To be fair, with any indie promotions, you have to keep in mind that they can only book who's available to them at any given time. I'm sure OTT would have The Elite etc as regulars if they could but by August remember it'll be G1 season so that's all of the NJPW roster who'd draw immediately off the table. Have faith in them, they're good at course correcting, like when they initially brought over US imports and realised UK guys are actually who fans want to see. If this current line-up doesn't do it for you, I'd still buy a ticket in faith that they'll find what does do it for you by then. I'm done doubting OTT, they're kicking arse, I think this next event will sell out too or at least come damn close.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

leggo wrote: »
    To be fair, with any indie promotions, you have to keep in mind that they can only book who's available to them at any given time. I'm sure OTT would have The Elite etc as regulars if they could but by August remember it'll be G1 season so that's all of the NJPW roster who'd draw immediately off the table. Have faith in them, they're good at course correcting, like when they initially brought over US imports and realised UK guys are actually who fans want to see. If this current line-up doesn't do it for you, I'd still buy a ticket in faith that they'll find what does do it for you by then. I'm done doubting OTT, they're kicking arse, I think this next event will sell out too or at least come damn close.
    Yeah that's one thing for sure I never doubt ott that's what has me going to the shows since close to the start the only thing I would be concerned about is the type of venue they will have for next year IMO this could really make or break the promotion

And for all the talk of the August show the next OTT show in 3 weeks time has Matt Riddle vs Kyle O'Reilly! 2 of the most sought after wrestlers on the scene right now facing off in the Tivoli as well as Marty being on the card and Sha Samuels making his OTT debut. And you can be damn sure all the Irish lads and ladies will be bursting full of confidence after Saturdays show. I have total confidence that OTT will have a plan in place to have more of the Irish talent in prominent positions for the August show and hopefully have a hot NLW Title match to main event with.

What's with the hate for Joey Ryan?

What's with the hate for Joey Ryan?

No hate, I've always heard he's a nice guy, just dont find his style of comedy wrestling funny especially after seeing it so many times. I also think intergender wrestling is bad. I don't think it's problematic or anything of the like it's just I can't think of a single great intergender match ever.

SarahVOW wrote: »
    No hate, I've always heard he's a nice guy, just dont find his style of comedy wrestling funny especially after seeing it so many times. I also think intergender wrestling is bad. I don't think it's problematic or anything of the like it's just I can't think of a single great intergender match ever.

I also think Mick Foleys shtick is pog rotten but this card will have something for every type of wrestling fan it's very smart.

Foley will be good for 5 minutes to get the crowd going and as long as he's not all over the show, it'll be fine. I wonder if RTE or someone like that are taking notes, for the amount of absolute dump they show, a late night OTT show wouldn't be out of the question surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I doubt RTE will get involved, maybe TV3 but not sure how would it work? I think OTT it bit like PWG it terms of a hot crowd with hard working talent. I'm not sure storyline TV-style product would fit there style. I'm not hyped for foley. He can't do any in ring stuff anymore, sadly. I think it will be another sell-out, the product is on fire now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It'd be more a case of whether TV would be good for OTT. Irish TV wouldn't have the kind of life-changing budget to do a WOS type product and they'd be very hands on and changing ideas and needing things to be a certain way, so it'd be a lot of stress, dilute the product and wouldn't pay that well. They'd get great exposure but that'd be the only benefit. If they're earning good money off FloSlam/Vimeo, that's probably just as good for them and they get complete control that way.

And the fact that the August show is going to be over 16s shows that OTT doesnt need to go the family friendly route to make money.

I think a one off tv special like the ICW doc on BBC a couple of years ago would be the best thing for OTT. Explain the backstory of Irish wrestling with IWW and NWA:I then maybe a bit about Sheamus and Joe getting WWE contracts. Then Joes return to Ireland and the full OTT story.

Actually yeah, TV would be terrible for them. Vince would start signing everyone then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'll be going in August just for Jeff Cobb.

Seen him a couple of months back and that chap is worth the prices of admission on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Really enjoyed the OTT show on Saturday. Nasties vs Justy & Logan; Team Martina vs Team Katey; KOTN vs Lads and Scrull vs White were all really good. Scrull is a highlight everytime he comes over and I loved the end to his match. Nasties vs Justy & Logan and the women's match both really over delivered. It was great to see all the Irish talent work so hard and really be the highlight of the show.

I have mixed feelings on the main event. It was great to see the Elite. While, admittedly I found their comedy hilarious, our champion looked like a geek when he was locked in the sharpshooter, and a lot of the match was a parody of pro wrestling. I think the previous Uptown Funkers matches were better than that one.

Also, from the amount of Bullet Club merch at the show it seems a lot of people were there just to see the Bullet Club. Hopefully the undercard was enough to get some of them to come back for OTT. I can't wait for O'Reilly vs Riddle at the next show.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭themick

Random question- Does anyone know the name of the song that Logan and Justy cane out to ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I love OTT but going to give the August show a miss. Not excited for Foley ether and the venue is awkward to get home from, by the time I'd get back to Busaris It would be almost 1am, the show last Saturday wasn't over till after 11.30. Luckily I had a lift arranged and didn't have to depend on the bus. If the Foley show was in the Tivoli, I would go as it is much more central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

themick wrote: »
    Random question- Does anyone know the name of the song that Logan and Justy cane out to ?

Thanks

I'm so humble - Lonely Island, a right banger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Just bought tickets to the card in May. First time going to an Irish event in years but the hype around OTT is too hard to resist.

Also saw someone in an OTT hoodie in Dunnes in Rathmines and assumed it was a sign! Looking forward to it. (That person in the hoodie may well have been on her way back or to a session)

• Advertisement

Very Very random question: Does anyone know the name of the song The Body Bros walk out to?

Advertisement