Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

brianblaze wrote: »
    It proves my point if nothing else? People nowadays want to see wrestling by good wrestlers, and aren't so into spot appearances by former WWE guys. (I say that as a huge Foley fan)

10/15 years ago people would have flocked to see Foley more than they would to see Daniels/ Joe/ AJ etc. (Or whoever you would have considered to be the most over Indy guys 10/15 years ago)

To be fair, I actually remember IwW sold out a show in the old SFX headlined by AJ/Daniels, then later we ran again with Foley and it didn't sell out (he later cancelled, think he got the call and Vampiro replaced him, and sales were fine). Mad how I didn't remember that until now but this exact thing has happened before.

It's nothing on him, to be fair, and more a credit to the power of the Elite and how hot AJ/Daniels were back in the day too. Indie wrestling over here is punching way above its weight just being in the Stadium to begin with (when you consider that size of that and our population I mean) and selling pretty well to begin with, so sell outs should get huge credit and not selling out shouldn't be seen as a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I wasn't trying to say it was a negative I was saying it as a positive for public perception of indy wrestling? I'd be surprised if it's not sold out by Saturday to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I'm not saying you were.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

LeeJM wrote: »
    Oh yea no way this show goes less than 4 hours. ScrapperMania was over 3 and a half and that card wasn't as stacked as this is. It is going to be an amazing show. No way this show doesn't deliver.

And I can't wait to see what you think of it afterwards.

Just on that.

Got an email today saying show starts at 7:30 and ends at approx 11

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

leggo wrote: »
    To be fair, I actually remember IwW sold out a show in the old SFX headlined by AJ/Daniels, then later we ran again with Foley and it didn't sell out (he later cancelled, think he got the call and Vampiro replaced him, and sales were fine). Mad how I didn't remember that until now but this exact thing has happened before.

It's nothing on him, to be fair, and more a credit to the power of the Elite and how hot AJ/Daniels were back in the day too. Indie wrestling over here is punching way above its weight just being in the Stadium to begin with (when you consider that size of that and our population I mean) and selling pretty well to begin with, so sell outs should get huge credit and not selling out shouldn't be seen as a negative.

That was my first proper Indie show and loved the whole thing even tho i didnt no the majority of the wrestlers (had been watching TNA on Eurosport so had an idea of AJ/Daniels/Sabian). Was meant to be going to the next supershow with Foley/Matt Hardy etc but we got a refund after both pulled out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember that SFX show with IWW, it was a fantastic show.

The last OTT show in the Stadium was fantastic. When Foley was originally announced as star of Wrestlerama, I wasn't going to go for 2 reasons:

1 - I loved Foley back in the day and have alot of respect for him, but in this day and age I have zero interest in seeing him 'talk' for a few minutes, or any other old WWE guy. I have very fond memories of the Attitude era but that was over 15 years ago and the guys are now much older and most of them don't wrestlle anymore. I want to hold onto the good memories of them from the 90s/ early 2000's.

2 - The National Stadium is a nightmare getting home from if you have to use Bus Eireann.

But thankfully, OTT really stepped up with this card over recent months, adding Ricochet was when I made the decision to go, then British Strong Style were added and now we have 5 really good matches to look forward to so can't wait for Saturday's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Gutted im missing it, have cousins wedding today which is setting me back a good bit so cant afford the trip up and stay over in dublin! Pity it looks like a stacked card.

What OTT have done is truly amazing, I wish they did a bit more touring, with a bit of promotion they would do.good business with a contenders type of show even! Im from kilkenny and all we have here is hurling, I dont even like the bloody thing!

Hope everyone has a blast and enjoys the show tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

should be a great night - only real concerns for me is the bar massive queues as opposed to up and back to bar in a min in Tivoli.
    €32 for a seat about 7/8 rows from the ring to see Foley, Scurll, Haskins, Richochet, War Machine, BSS, CCK & the usual Angel Cruzers/Martina/Justy comedy is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Yeah i dont think the bar were expecting the demand last time out, considering they ran out of beer that was pretty evident. Hopefully be more prepared this time around. Really looking forward to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deviladvocate

Not sure if ticket selling is frowned upon here, but we had 3 tickets for Wrestlerama and one of our friends pulled out so have a spare I need to flog - it's floor seat Block B if anyone's interested (face value of course!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deviladvocate

Not sure if ticket selling is frowned upon here, but we had 3 tickets for Wrestlerama and one of our friends pulled out so have a spare I need to flog - it's floor seat Block B if anyone's interested (face value of course!)

Lads, are bags allowed in tomorrow night? Can you bring sweets and drinks and such in?

Also, were Dunne and Bates not advertised for the Dublin show? They aren't on the poster or such any more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Dunne and Tyler bate are on the show the poster you saw with them on it was the Belfast one they were not on the Dublin poster but will be there :) travelling up from cork as usual I cannot wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

though in Belfast we have British Strong Style in a match against the kings of the north

Yeah, I checked and there's other recent ads saying it's British Strong Style vs War Machine and Cobb tonight.

There's two games in Croke Park and a Liverpool game in the Aviva today. Traffic will be bad :(

Edit. Oh and the quays are shut too, apparently.

Thatnks for that, had no clue about any of the stories going in, so that helped. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'm very tempted but it's such a hassle getting up and back. Is this on Floslam by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭noisenotmusic

OTT just announced a December 9th show for National Stadium again. Bullet Club are back, namely Cody Rhodes, Young Bucks and Marty Scurrl. Also announced Fenix, Will Ospreay, Marl Haskins and Ryan Smile.

• Advertisement

What a night. IMHO Foley was an after thought. I love the guy and his books and his history but he stuck out like a sore thumb tonight.

If you haven't been to an OTT event yet do yourself a favour and go. What a night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What a night.

If you haven't been to an OTT event yet do yourself a favour and go. What a night!!

Highlights?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Omackeral wrote: »
    Highlights?

Most of the show, TBH! All killer, very little filler!

That was bloody amazing.

The Ryan/Cruz vs LeRae/Squat Guy match was brilliant fun ("Grease up Angel!"). The post match was brilliant too; Foley applying Socko to Ryan's cock, and then Ryan using his cock to bump five people in a test of strength! Loved it. That was my highlight by a mile.

Also, which idiot thought "Let's pass out hundreds of glow sticks to the drunk masses". I get they were going for a fun entrance for Martina, but anyone should have seen they were all going to be fired into the ring if people were given the chance :P

Defo going to see The Elite in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Great night. Got to bring my nephew, his 15, he loved it. He got to meet Ricochet before the show, he was delighted. Richochet was so nice and gladly chatted with us. It was great to see the guys before the show. The line for Marty was huge.

It started around 7.40. I think these were the matches and running order. It was a long night and might have got mixed up.

Pretty sure it started with Jordan Devlin vs. Matt Cross. Big reaction for Jordan and Matt. Good match. Jordan won with the Spanish fly off the top rope. Jordan cut a promo after the match, calling out the fact the main event had three British imports in it and no Irish talent and he wants the next title shot.

2 Unlimited vs. Jody Fleisch & Johnny Storm. I remember Johnny & Jody on the British wrestling channel back in the day. Jody looks to be in the best shape of his career, while Johnny got a nice pudgy belly on him. 2 Unlimited song was over huge and got a great reaction. Really good fast paced match. A scary moment towards the end was when one of the lads from 2 Unlimited went for a shooting star press off his partners back and had a rough landing. The whole place went oooh and was worried for him. They did a quick finish after that, with 2 Unlimited getting the win. He seemed ok after the match.

Two lads from Liverpool, Zack Gibson, and some other lad. Got heat by trying to sing the British national anthem. Lads from the flats broke it up and we had our next match. The two Liverpool lads got the win by cheating. Great heat through out the match for them.

I think it was Jimmy Havoc vs. Paul Tracey no rules match next. Never seen Havoc before. Got a great reaction from the crowd. They wrestled outside and hit each other over the head with baking trays and then a toilet seat. Jimmy brought it back in the ring and did his paper cut spot. Then put Tracey through a very small table with a death valley driver. Then put thumbtacks on a chair. Sat Tracey on the chair and put thumbtacks into Tracey's mouth. Jimmy wins with a lame looking clothesline move. Put was a good match.

I think we got CCK vs. Kings of the North next. Great match. So many cool moves. None stop, one after the other. Kings got the win and kept the tag belts.

Ricochet Vs. Matt Sydal. Suffered because how long the show was. I felt the crowd were getting tired and needed a break. Matt and Ricochet started slow as-well. Once it got going the crowd were into it. Ricochet wins with the 630. Not the amazing match I thought it would be, but still very good.

There were videos throughout the night. One of them set up our next match. Where Joey Ryan had upset Candice Le Ray and she decided to team with B Cool while Joey ended up with Angel Cruz. Lots of stalling in this match. A long bit at the start with Joey baby oiling up himself, then Cruz and then the ref Foxy. A bit of a comedy match leading up to Joey and Candice getting back together and winning.

After the match, Cruz and B Cool were jumped by three lads. Logan Bruce, some other bloke and the guy who did the storyline about owning the company. It was a long night and don't know everyone in OTT that well.

It was the set up for Foley to come out. Big pop. Foley said he had back up and from Angel Cruz security (who are basically two boys that look about twelve years old in suits) jumped the lads. The two boys were taken out quickly. This led Foley to slowly come down the ring. I was worried for Foley after his hip op and damage he's done to himself just even walking to the ring let alone when he got into it.

From what I recall. Cruz/B Cool came back out and even the odds. Foley put Mr. Socko on one of them, then another and then get powder in his face from one of them. After the powder in his face, Joey Ryan comes down to check on him. Foley not knowing it's Joey tries to use Mr. Socko on him. Joey Jumps and Socko his Joey's dick.

This led to the dick suplex bit with Foley taking a bump and later calling Joey the king of dong style. Lots of Sock & Cock chants. We finally got a break after this. It was past Ten O'Clock. 2 half hours gone and still three more matches to go.

At the break, the lads were out selling merch again on the tables. We got to meet Jimmy Havoc who was really cool and Marty Scrull was nice too. But 30 euro for a Villan hat?

At 10.30 we kicked off again. Getting War Machine/Jeff Cobb Vs. British strong style. It was the match of the night but I was exhausted at this point. BSS was over huge.

Then Martina (Session Moth) Vs. Katie Harvey for the women's belt. They tried really hard to make this a big match. A cool video package explaining the feud. Giving out loads of glow stick's for Martina big entrance and a Goldberg style walking to the ring video for her. Sadly I think the crowd was just exhausted at this stage. The start of the match was Martina hitting a codebreaker, it that was the finish I would have been happy. Martina hitting a top rope codebreaker was the end of the match and everyone was happy doing a big 90's rave glow stick dance.

Main Event. Smile Vs. Haskins Vs. Scrull. Elimination match for the MLW title but Marty said OTT championship in the video as it's a bit confusing having the main title be a different name than the company it's defended in.

Marty was over huge. Smile got tons of heat, I have no idea why but he came out dressed with Finn's demon gimmick paint on him. Is this something he does? or just trying to get a reaction by stealing Finn thing?

Lots of superkicks's in this match and Marty teasing the chicken wings lots. Smile gets a roll up out of nowhere and pins Marty. Big shock at this and lots disappointed people due to Marty elimination.

Now down to Smile/Haskins. The crowd got behind Haskins and he got the win. I was beyond tired at this stage. It was 12.10 when this match was over. Almost 5 hours of wrestling.

Will defiantly go to the one in December. Had a great time last night and my nephew loved it and he can't wait to meet the elite.

Foley is much more mobile now. I'm so happy to see what DDP has done for him. He even took a forward roll bump for Joeys penis. (That's a phrase in didn't expect to type)

Crowd was great. Couple of overly smarky lads here and there but overall top notch crowd.

Also someone cosplayed as the Undertaker. Well done that man

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

People like Joey Ryan are the reason my friends slag me for still liking wrestling

People like Joey Ryan are the reason my friends slag me for still liking wrestling

I doubt your friends watch much Indy wrestling.

Wrestlers like Joey Ryan are the reason I go to wrestling shows. People with sh*tty attitudes about entertaining performers are the reason I generally stay off Internet forums about wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

British Strong Style vs War Machine & Jeff Cobb was the highlight for me

All of the participants were at the top of their game. War Machine & Jeff Cobb have serious speed and agility for men of their size.

Tyler Bate (as always) was adored by the crowd - the lad has a bright future ahead of him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yeah, it was always going to be important to have a good comedy scene at some stage. The event was so long, everybody needed the comic relief.

Advertisement