Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Gonzo wrote: »
    looking forward to the May show.

Saturdays's show was very good, I particularly enjoyed the Q and A, Speedball and of course the Cage match itself was spectacular.

I thought the venue was a decent choice, due to it's location. The Luas made it very easy to get to, a quick 15 minutes between the venue and Busaris. The beer was good and reasonably priced. Most GAA venues are the same so the only real issue was the toilet situation and a complete lack of food. Next time i'll be bringing a bag with some packed food.

With regards to future venues, I don't think OTT will ever be able to find a venue more suitable than the Tivoli, that place really has a charm that just is not available anywhere else. Dublin doesn't have much choice venues other than really large or small venues.

Tivoli is an awful venue. It was fine in the early days but now, the seats sellout almost instantly and then you're stuck with a crap view standing. It's awful for people who aren't tall and/or can't get a spot close to the ring for a good spot.

Agree that Dublin is short on venues for a small show but the White Collar show in Hangar on December 8th was OK but probably too small for OTT.

Maybe they could try Whelan's but the cost may be too high and the ring would likely take up the bulk of the floor - at the least there'd be the upstairs.

Or the Academy/Spirit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Tivoli is grand if you're a fit young fella and you can see over people's heads! There is a charm or grittiness to it that's hard to dispute but I agree it can be a bit much sometimes. You have to be in the right form for it and also be kinda lucky with what spot you got. Having said that, I've always had a blast at it but can see why people wouldn't be fond of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Omackeral wrote: »
    Tivoli is grand if you're a fit young fella and you can see over people's heads! There is a charm or grittiness to it that's hard to dispute but I agree it can be a bit much sometimes. You have to be in the right form for it and also be kinda lucky with what spot you got. Having said that, I've always had a blast at it but can see why people wouldn't be fond of it.

€6 a pint kinda hinders that after they built a rep on "bag of cans + non-PG wrestling". The show itself is always amazing and looks great on video though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Omackeral wrote: »

I completely agree with this. The q'ing is off putting alright and it's really the only way to get a good seat. The q'ing now starts from 11 am for doors that open for 6 pm. Standing at shows or q'ing for 5 hours is just not an option for me anymore. Once you push past 35 the legs just aren't able for that as much as they used to be. The atmosphere in the Tivoli is unbeatable tho but yeah I see what you mean by being in the right frame of mind for all the effort required to get in, some people take breaks from shows for this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Gonzo wrote: »
    I completely agree with this. The q'ing is off putting alright and it's really the only way to get a good seat. The q'ing now starts from 11 am for doors that open for 6 pm. Standing at shows or q'ing for 5 hours is just not an option for me anymore. Once you push past 35 the legs just aren't able for that as much as they used to be. The atmosphere in the Tivoli is unbeatable tho but yeah I see what you mean by being in the right frame of mind for all the effort required to get in, some people take breaks from shows for this very reason.

I thought the seats were ticketed? If you bought a seat ticket you should not have to queue for six hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

The queue is a mystery to me. Let's say you buy a floor seat, evey floor seat is pretty great. The trade off for queueing for hours to get a front row seat compared to rocking up when doors open and getting a seat in god forbid the third or fourth row seems like a no brainer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://twitter.com/Luther__Ward/status/961298346416762880

Found this to be bizarre. Why not get a top class woman in to face her? Why not book one of the many ladies working hard to make themselves known, make a career for themselves.

Surely allowing women to face women, in prominent role is the best way to treat them as equal?

Surprised WWE would let a champion under their name have this bout tbh.

I've no bother with Martina facing B Cool, Angel Cruz, Joey Ryan or Chuck Taylor but Pete Dunne?!!!? What's the hook there? Waste of a bruiserweight appearance imo

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I've no doubt it will be a fun match to watch. It is funny when you think about it though, in terms of how society flips and flops. 4 years ago (if even) the idea of an intergender match and specifically man on woman violence would have been highly frowned upon in wrestling, much less in WWE or any match involving a WWE contracted talent, compared to the 90's where we had Chyna vs Y2J as upper mid card programme, because as a society we had "moved on" in an effort to be more considerate to everyone involved. But lately, specifically the last 6 to 12 months on the indies, intergender matches have become acceptable again, because now we're an even more "concious inclusive and equal" society. Personally, I could care a less if they do or don't happen just because in my opinion it's entertainment and that's where it begins and ends. But, it is interesting to watch as a neutral how the more things change, the more things stay the same to an extent! Food for thought!

Speaking of A) the Tivoli and B) OTT's women's division, the all women's show had plenty of seats left last I looked. Wonder how well it will do closer to the time or will it just be me with a few lads in their sweatpants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Yeah it's hard to know, I think putting it as a double header could be a mistake but I'm no expert. I think my interest level as a wrestling fan in general is just at a point where I'd find two nights in a row of wrestling a bit exhausting/overkill unless they were two supercards or the like. I've no doubt the OTT die hards will be at both shows in force though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

You can’t underestimate the amount of female fans OTT has. Can be a bit of a bro-fest at times but I’m always encouraged by the amount of women that attend shows that aren’t obviously WAGs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

no doubt she is a great wrestler but I really want Dunne to just come in a destroy her, the way Brock did to Cena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

montyrebel wrote: »
    no doubt she is a great wrestler but I really want Dunne to just come in a destroy her, the way Brock did to Cena

Hmm I’m not overly sold on her if I’m completely honest. She is entertaining and the live crowd loves her but I wouldn’t say she’s all that good in the ring really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tomohiro Ishii v Jeff Cobb at Scrappermania. Good Lord.

Keith Lee v Minoru Suzuki also confirmed?

USJDNAKDNAKFSYYANDOAB

Ishii and Suzuki could easily have been stuck in some six man tag, taken it easy and had a good night at the merch table so fair play to them if they bust their arse and have cracking singles matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Never doubt the Japanese work ethic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As I said, I know nothing of the two Japanese guys. Or Keith Lee.

But the excitement I'm seeing online about the two matches has made me excited. So I'm sold :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Lord TSC wrote: »
    As I said, I know nothing of the two Japanese guys. Or Keith Lee.

But the excitement I'm seeing online about the two matches has made me excited. So I'm sold :)

You won't be disappointed. I have been on the floor by the entrance for the past two stadium shows but I think I will go back to GA for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

What's the craic with drinking at The arena? Cans or regular priced rubbish pints?

brianblaze wrote: »
    What's the craic with drinking at The arena? Cans or regular priced rubbish pints?

Bottles from what I saw. My missus was on the wine :p

Dublin City FM have an OTT show on right now for anyone that's interested. It's mad. Think it's Butch the ring announcer they have on at the minute!

What’s the story with Don Marnell finishing up? I could take him or leave him to be honest but I’m just curious.

Pentecost wrote: »
    What’s the story with Don Marnell finishing up? I could take him or leave him to be honest but I’m just curious.

I can't imagine Diageo were thrilled with him being associated with his OTT character

Probably gave him a choice of quitting or drinking Guinness from a can.

Don got a job in Australia.

cian68 wrote: »
    Don got a job in Australia.

Is he not just over there promoting the Guinness Lager sh*te?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

Pentecost wrote: »

he slept with William Humperdinck's wife & was sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

ha don is over in australia for the next 3 months doing promotion work for guinness products! he will be back after that as far as i know. have yet to be dissapointed by a ott show find them amazing.travel up from cork for them all! great seeing martina and jordan devlin get booked to wrestle in new orleans wrestle mania week to!

• Advertisement

ha don is over in australia for the next 3 months doing promotion work for guinness products! he will be back after that as far as i know. have yet to be dissapointed by a ott show find them amazing.travel up from cork for them all! great seeing martina and jordan devlin get booked to wrestle in new orleans wrestle mania week to!

Who's booked them? That's huge for Session moth! Global expansion incoming!

Advertisement