Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hours between 4th and 5th year

• 10-06-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

A teacherin our school has announced she won't be back. Was parttime. The next in line after me with those subjects is going into year 5, has she any right to request those hours etc? Would seem silly to me to give them elsewhere as her contract would be 22hours next year if given the hours in her subject area going here. Any advice as am sure we will lose her otherwise at some stage as she is well in demand but I suspect would stay if on full hours...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Your post is a bit hard to follow but are you asking if the teacher in her 4th year should be given the hours vacated by the teacher who is leaving?

If she is going into her 5th year, she HAS to be given a CID or an objective reason for not giving her the CID. You haven't said how many hours she has this year. If she has 22 and the hours are there, there is no objective reason not to give her 22 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Apologies for the ambiguity. She had 18, 22, 22 and this year 17, 20. I am permanent but she is next after me with the subjects the teacher leaving had. Wondering would you recommend she does something or I do or both? After years of being in a similar position I will do anything for a woman who is a fantastic teacher, colleague and now friend. Easy for us permies to forget but I vowed I wouldnt. Is she in any way entitled to be brought up and can her hours be upped? Seems unfair if not as the teacher after will most likely get 22 if she doesnt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

She had 18, 22, 22 and this year 17, 20.

So, she had 17 this year? Sounds like the school/VEC is trying to pull a fast one. If you have 18+ hours, your CID has to be brought up to 22 i.e. you must be paid for 22 and the school must find the classes to fill in. I would be suspicious about her being left on 17. I don't know what her entitlement would be to the extra hours, but she should certainly ask for them and make her union rep aware of the situation.

Seventeen hours and twenty minutes this year, total con, she went to principal who led her to believe if hours came up they would be hers but I dont see what harm asking for them could do. She seems petrified of doing it though as so many of her friends have been let go, awful place to be in, how quickly we forget. Thankfully union rep seems full blown on getting them for her so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

I firmly believe, from anecdotal evidence, that principals are doing their best to keep teachers in their 4th contracted year under 18 hours.

I am also sure they have been instructed to do so from on high.

Mere speculation. I cannot prove it. But really, very frustrating, not to mention demoralising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Seventeen hours and twenty minutes this year, total con, she went to principal who led her to believe if hours came up they would be hers but I dont see what harm asking for them could do. She seems petrified of doing it though as so many of her friends have been let go, awful place to be in, how quickly we forget. Thankfully union rep seems full blown on getting them for her so fingers crossed.

Oh god, does she work in my school ..... 17.20 is the magic number for teachers in their fourth year with us the last number of years.

She's only entitled to what she had in her fourth year which is unfortunately 17.20. If your school is anything like mine, it'll probably play out as follows.

She'll ask about extra hours for next year, principal will say maybe and none will be forthcoming. New teacher will be hired for other teaching position. She'll be told it would not be feasible to advertised the job and there would be less likelihood of getting a suitable candidate if those hours were given to the teacher in her fifth year. Or those subject hours will be shifted onto a permanent teacher's timetable and the job advertised with a different subject included making your friend ineligible.

The other thing to watch is that if she does get the extra hours (and here's hoping she does) she'll have to wait another 4 years to get an 'improved CID' to include her new hours. There will be no guarantee on anything above 17.20 from year to year.

In my school we have a situation where all the most recent CID teachers are on 17.20 and people are coming in after them and given a full timetable. Some of the new teachers get full hours for their CID and some get pulled down to 17.20 in year four. :mad:

Don't even mention the union. Union came in to sort it out.... and kept no minutes of the meeting that took place. Whose side were they on I wonder?

Rainbowtrout, what you said is what I anticipate happening. Two things though, what if someone in after her gets the hours? Also...read a circular before about the teachers on pt hours should be given these hours over new teachers but I can't find the link now...anyone?

Advertisement