Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neverwinter Nostalgia?

Options
  • 10-06-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like there's a new neverwinter being developed by Cryptic and Atari.

http://www.playneverwinter.com/

Cryptic originally worked on City of Heroes (still going under NCSoft/Paragon studios) and then moved on to Champions online - good idea, no atmosphere.

Atari are , well, atari. they did give us Temple of Elemental Evil which, though buggy , was good fun.

Could be time for a Boards.ie Neverwinter Nights reunion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Oh shiny.
    Must say I miss the good old days of nwn,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Interesting - Will it be a MMO, or just multiplayer geared? Can't seem to tell from their website at a glance.

Sounds like a mmo since that's what Cryptic do.
    Another MMO to hail as the WoW killer, play for a month and go back to WoW.

That was my thinking alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

seemingly its not an MMO, its a multiplayer co-operative RPG (according to Jack Emmerett, Cryptic head person thingy)

I *think* this means its going to be like NWN in that you get a group together (or solo) and play the scenarios as opposed to a persistent state world where you meet up with other players at random.

What does look interesting is the "Forge" where you can design your own scenarios. As long as its more user friendly (ie: doesnt require a degree in comptuer science / scripting and 3d model manipulation) than the NWN scenario editor I'll be giving it a go :)

actually I'd love a "random dungeon crawl" mode where it generates multi level dungeons as you go (generated 1 level ahead and the content depends on actions taken in the previous level). would be great for a quick evening's bashing

not familiar with the 4e rules though. I think i shall need to have a look at the free starter books WotC usually have on their website to get children hooked before making the big sale :)

• Advertisement

Well that sounds much more interesting. Its a shame that NWN2 was such a disappointment, so its great to hear they're resurrecting that style of game play again.

Any details on how the multiplayer is handled ? Is it like private instances on their servers you join, a peer-to-peer set-up or the something like the first nwn's?

note: I know I should google it myself, but I'm lazy :)

From my reading there'll b some MMO elements, in that there's a persistent world with instanced adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Do any boardies ever get together for any NWN 2 modules?

I just picked up the Platinum edition (on Steam) and am really enjoying it, would love to play a module with a few players, but I'm guessing at this stage that active NWN 2 players are few.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I wasn't impressed with NWN 2 it just seemed to be over extended graphics and nothing new to the game play.

• Advertisement

I've tried once or twice to get nwn 2 games going, but found the thing to bug ridden to play and we've had to abandon them. I've heard its improved, but the love is gone at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Ah...that's a pity!

I guess it is pretty old at this stage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lorfarius

Was looking into the original AOL game recently, I was actually using AOL around the time it was live but could never got online with it. In the end I gave up but looking back at it I missed some really good gaming sessions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Lorfarius wrote: »
    Was looking into the original AOL game recently, I was actually using AOL around the time it was live but could never got online with it. In the end I gave up but looking back at it I missed some really good gaming sessions!

same here was stuck with eircom in the middle of the sticks but i do fondly remember the games of the original NWN sessions that rev used to run i managed to get into one or two of them but never really played allot cos my stoopd internet connection was so slow.

god i miss those days! Was DND online any good? im looking to get back into something RP/Fantasy based but cant seem to find anything good.

I got an email from Atari recently that mentioned changes to Champions online. what has this to do with NWN?

well, it seems Atari have sold Cryptic to another company and Cryptic were the developers behind the new NWN. No idea if they are taking NWN with them, which means a loss of Atari funding for developement, or if its stayign with Atari, which means a loss of Cryptic devs.

actually: from the NWN FAQ here:
    http://www.playneverwinter.com/transition_faq

it says:
    Q: How does this affect Neverwinter? Top
    Development for Neverwinter continues at Cryptic Studios, with a revised release date of 2012

Good to hear be a shame if it had got canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Every now and again I try and get in to NWN2 on the LAN, that is just myself and my wife of course... Sometimes it is very good, sometimes it is rubbish.
    The good ole days of NWN were great craic. I did not even have broadband back then, at least at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 notdavidbowie

Thats really strange, just today I was pulling out that game to have a return to it, sadly I lost one of the discs...

Advertisement