Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Irish Paper 1 AND II (Gnáthleibheal) predictions & discussion * (1 thread please)

• 10-06-2011 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭

If your aiming for an A
    how much should you write for the 2 (60 mark) questions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

If your aiming for an A
    how much should you write for the 2 (60 mark) questions ?

I would concentrate on the grammar as that's where most of the marks go, be careful with your tenses!

Seeing as they are 60 marks each, id write a good page if its a story/letter.
    hope this helps!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Just a page ? would ya not need more?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DJGxC

I'm trying to study for Irish OL paper 2 and I don't really know where to start.

Should I be learning off answers for questions?

What poems and stories are most likely to be asked?

I'm really lost. I have notes on 'An Bhean Og', 'Lig sin i gCathu' , 'Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa' , 'Nil aon Ni' etc. but I'm not wasting my time studying everything as I have Biology to worry about. I just need to know the bare minimum to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Think nil aon ni and bimse buam are tipped but with the contrvesary with the poet in nil aon ni it might not

C__MC wrote: »
    Think nil aon ni and bimse buam are tipped but with the contrvesary with the poet in nil aon ni it might not

Is this controversy recent? Assuming the papers were made around September onwards it still could be a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

C__MC wrote: »

I think that controversy is well blown over at this stage. O Searcaigh is even on the new Irish syllabus (next year's exam), so I wouldn't read into that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grandfinale

Can anyone please give me an idea of the vocab neccessary for the aural? A list of words would be unbelievably appreciated if possible ! Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

it really depends on the question to be honest, if your comfortable with it and feel confident that your not going to go off the point then stretch further. but remember you have 2 of these to do.

best thing is to get stuck into the léamhthuiscintí first, get them outta the way and then focus solely on the first section

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Just a page ? would ya not need more?:confused:

Our teacher has corrected and says 15 lines of good irish is enough for an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 john1741

Page is all you need for paper 1, If you do a letter the start adn end will take up most of it and you can learn that for any situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

It says on the paper to write half a page so I think a page is more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Duda17 wrote: »
    It says on the paper to write half a page so I think a page is more than enough.

Does that refer to both 60 mark questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

Does that refer to both 60 mark questions?

Ye it says it in each question.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverfinished

Can anyone please give me an idea of the vocab neccessary for the aural? A list of words would be unbelievably appreciated if possible ! Many thanks.
    Cad a tharla – what happened
    An t-am – the time
    Ainm – name
    Cathair – city
    Áit – place
    Rud amháin – one thing
    A bheith ag tosú – that will be starting
    A bheidh ar siúl that will be happening/on
    Cad? or Céard? What?
    Cá? or Cá háit? Where?
    Cén uair? or Cathain? Or Cár? When?
    Cé? Who?
    Cén? Which?
    Cé mhéad? How much/many?
    Cén fáth? Why?
    Conas? Or Cén chaoi? How?
    Cá fhad? Or Cén fhad? How long?
    Cén dáta? What date?
    Cén t-am? What time?
    Ainmnigh. Name.
    Luaigh dhá rud. Mention two things
    Cén mhí – which month
    Cad a deir ______ - what does ______ say
    Cén saghas – what type
    Cén t-ábhar – what subject
    Cén t-eolas – what information
    Áiseanna – facilities
    Ar fáil – available
    Taitneamh – enjoyment
    Cad iad – what are
    Cad a tharlaíonn do – what happens to
    Seoladh – address
    Seoladh – launch
    Cén post – what job
    Cén tAire – what minister
    Cé hé/hí – who is he/she
    Tóg – build
    Lá – day
    Á léiriú – shown
    Cén dátá – what date
    Cén teideal – what title
    Iarratas – application
    Bunscoil – primary school
    Méanscoil – secondary school
    Long – ship
    I bponc – in trouble
    Cén contae – what county
    Oileán – island

Cén aois – what age
    An méad ama – the amount of time
    Méadar – metres
    Turas – trip
    Tús – start
    Críoch – end
    Táille – fee
    Praghas – price
    Réidh – ready
    Foirm – form
    Seirbhís – service
    Faoi láthair – at present
    As láthair – absent
    Aoi – guest
    Céim – degree
    Le líonadh – to be filled
    Ábhar – subject
    Díol – sell
    Óstán – hotel
    Polaitaoirí – politicians
    Cluiche – game/match
    Éiseoidh – launched/released
    Foireann – team
    Ríomhphost – email
    Eagraíocht – organisation
    Comhlacht – company
    Uimhir theileafóin – telephone number
    Nuachtán – newspaper Foinse/Lá/Beo
    Fón póca – mobile phone
    Dar le _______ - according to ______
    Buntáiste – advantage
    Míbhuntáiste – disadvantage
    Íoslódáil – download
    Clár – programme
    Scaileán – screen
    Lucht féachana – audience
    Lucht léanúna – supporters
    Stáisiún – station
    Gradam – award
    Bunaigh – to found something
    Imeachtaí – events
    Scéim – scheme
    Scoláireacht – scholarship
    Bronnadh – present (an award)
    Atá luaite – mentioned
    Ollscoil – university
    Baile – town
    Fáth – reason
    Monarch – factory
    Gaol – relation
    Páiste – child
    Comórtas – competition
    Scrúdú – examination
    Craobhchluiche – final match
    Déagóirí – teenagers
    Díolachán - sale

25 sentences will suffice. to get an A the grammar/mix of verbs should be good, you need a variety of phrases and you need to link your story to the opening lines on the exam paper

All 5 stories appear on the paper so technically you could study 3, the easiest being clare sa spéir, an bhean óg and fiche bliain ag fás. Know the story and characters.

Only 3 poems appear on the paper. If you study níl aon ní then you practically have faoiseamh a gheobhadsa done as well you just replace Donegal with Aran.

Know the question words and underline those and the other keywords on paper. Days of the week, amounts of money and Irish organisations come up frequently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 2K11

Hi everyone, Just want to ask you a quick question, Can you get me tips on these two in Paper 1 Irish tomorrow. For the Giota I'm learning Young people in Ireland, Music, Concert and a Job Is that enough for this section?

I'm pretty concerned with the Litir though as I don't know what's going to come up and I have a feeling I will have nothing to write about tomorrow :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TheCheshireCat

Heya. Doing the Irish exam myself tomorrow too. I think that's plenty for the giota leanunach, however I'd maybe stick in a piece on your favourite place in Ireland/in the world. Just do one on somewhere in Ireland, so you could use that for the world also. You could use your area if it suits. It seems to come up often enough. You should be fine.

As for the litir, I have no idea about this... If I find out anything I'll post it up. I can't seem to find anything, no particular repeated topics or anything. Your best best is to know the letter layout, fake address in the corner, know your date, (13 Meithimh 2011) and introduction, A Bhrid, a chara or whatever, and your sign off also. Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 2K11

Heya. Doing the Irish exam myself tomorrow too. I think that's plenty for the giota leanunach, however I'd maybe stick in a piece on your favourite place in Ireland/in the world. Just do one on somewhere in Ireland, so you could use that for the world also. You could use your area if it suits. It seems to come up often enough. You should be fine.

As for the litir, I have no idea about this... If I find out anything I'll post it up. I can't seem to find anything, no particular repeated topics or anything. Your best best is to know the letter layout, fake address in the corner, know your date, (13 Meithimh 2011) and introduction, A Bhrid, a chara or whatever, and your sign off also. Hope that helps!

Much appreciated man Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 TheCheshireCat

Oh, also. Here you go, just found this. It's a life saver!
    http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/homeworkzone.asp?id=1764

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grandfinale

Any chance of a letter sample if anyone would be so kind !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daex

A Aine a dhil (make sure the name begins with a,i,e,o,u)

Conas ata tu? Maidir liom fein, taim go hannis (miserable)/ar fheabhas (great). is fada o chuala me uait. conas ata cursai i .........Aon sceal? bhuel ta sceal agam!

(put stuff relating to the question here!)

chaithfidh me imeach anois,mar chuagh me imeacht le sean/aoife.an dtiocfaigh tu cuart chugam go lught? rachamar go dti an club oiche b'feidir. beidh me ag tnuth leis. scriobh chugam go luath. abair le do chlann go raibh me ag cur a dtuarisce.
    slan go foil,
    do chara dhil amy.

the spelling/punctuation's a bit off.
    We're told to throw about 5-6 sentences in the middle of that which relates to the question asked. g'luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Just 15 lines aswell, gonna be so easy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daex

Kinda ridiculous how easy it is tbh :S in comparison to the higher level course.
    I remember people cheating in class tests and wondering why they bothered.
    couple of phrases and different verbs and you're grand.
    Gealaim duit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 C0nn0rmcl

Go for a page/page and a half.

Keep sentences short and simple.

Remember, 1 page of decent Irish is far better than 2 with crap Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Denying Dreams

Thanks for the sample above that included the begging and end; the content inside I'm not going to fuss about.

I'm not looking forward to this exam - and I can not afford to fail Irish. I'm not going to college, but it's a requirement to join the Gardaí. I do Ordinary level and our Irish teacher for the last three years was absolutely shocking, we weren't told to put down anything in particular; no hints on number of lines, etc. And if we were, chances are I didn't bother attending that day because it's normally "Same ****, different day..." kind of deal.

All I need to do is just barely scrape a pass and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Does anyone know if you can get away with learning just 1 of these ? The same way you can with the Irish story and get 48/60 marks ?

Finding it hard learning a good few of them :(

Thanks

Yeah so Irish paper 1 tomorrow ordinary level. It's two compositions and two comprehensions.

I'm not really sure what to study at the moment for Irish paper 1, I've just been doing maths paper 2 all day and I feel kind of guilty.

I know you can't do a lot for the comprehensions but the compositions.. Does anyone have any source for good notes or any useful sentences to learn off? I'm sure there's a website out there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Please don't be insulted... I've corrected this in case anybody wants to learn it.
    daex wrote: »
    A Aine a dhil (make sure the name begins with a,i,e,o,u)

Conas atá tú? Maidir liom fein, táim go hainnis (miserable)/ar fheabhas (great). Is fada ó chuala me uait. conas atá cúrsai i .........Aon scéal? bhuel ta scéal agam!

(put stuff relating to the question here!)

Caithfidh me imeacht anois,mar táim ag dul amach le sean/aoife.An dtiocfaidh tu ar cuairt chugam go luath? Rachaimid go dti an club oiche b'fhéidir. Beidh me ag tnúth leis. scriobh chugam go luath. Abair le do chlann go raibh me ag cur a dtuairisce.
    slan go fóill,
    do chara dhil amy.

It's a nice intro/end.

Advertisement