Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access certain sites for 30 - 60 seconds at a time

Options
  • 10-06-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭

Am on Vodafone/BT Broadband and have all too occassional moments where certain sites are unavailable for maybe 30 - 60 seconds at a time. It's happening much more often that I'd like.

What I can tell you is the following:

a) I don't think it's DNS related, as I'm using OpenDNS.
    b) If I can't access Boards, I can still ping boards.ie and get a response back.
    c) The whole connection doesn't die as other websites are often available.
    d) There's no VPN's open or anything like that.
    e) Certain sites are always available (e.g Google, Facebook) but there are sites that are often unavailable (e.g Boards).

Any ideas back on what could be causing it? Am using one of the Vodafone routers (EchoLife HG556a IIRC).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Spam \ bot maybe..try running Malwarebytes on a full scan.

Next time it happens open a CMD prompt and run nslookup, see if you can find the site in question using that.

Also try another browser see if that fixes the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Spam \ bot maybe..try running Malwarebytes on a full scan.
    Will try a scan now, but it just doesn't happen my machine. It's happening others on the same connection AFAIK.

EDIT: MBAM came up fine..

Untitled_87.png
    Next time it happens open a CMD prompt and run nslookup, see if you can find the site in question using that.
    Will give this a shot next time it happens.

EDIT: Looks fine... couldnt't access Boards so ran nslookup and got:
    Server: resolver1.opendns.com
    Address: 208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: boards.ie
    Addresses: 2a01:258:f000:3::108
    2a01:258:f000:3::107
    Also try another browser see if that fixes the problem.
    Nah, it's the same irregardless of browser.

Advertisement