Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to buy clothes in the city

Options
  • 10-06-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Does anyone know a couple of decent places in Cork city for good-quality menswear, preferably ones that don't have extortionate prices? I'm never really comfortable when I go clothes-shopping so I don't want to wander aimlessly around the city centre in search of them; I would just like to go directly to two or three shops where I can get in, pick up the items I need and get out quickly before I start to panic. I'm just looking to buy new jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, that type of thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I find Debenhams pretty easy to shop in, They have a nice range of men's clothes.
    Like yourself I'm allergic to shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Town!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

kurt largo wrote: »
    Does anyone know a couple of decent places in Cork city for good-quality menswear, preferably ones that don't have extortionate prices? I'm never really comfortable when I go clothes-shopping so I don't want to wander aimlessly around the city centre in search of them; I would just like to go directly to two or three shops where I can get in, pick up the items I need and get out quickly before I start to panic. I'm just looking to buy new jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, that type of thing.

Jack and Jones over Vero Moda usually does the job....

You can get nice hoodies fro under 30 quid and its good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I buy nearly all my jeans in Prime Time, not quite cheap if not on sale but they sell great quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

River Island do some decent jeans. I also agree with all the shops stated above. You could also check out tubes which is kinda a surf/skate shop some nice stuff though. That whole street that river island is on is worth taking a look around too. H and M most of the stuff is crap but plain black/white tees for 5e nice ones. On the more expensive side of things FCUK or gentlemans quarters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 kurt largo

Ok, thanks for all your help. I'll make a note of these stores and check them out tomorrow. If there are any more suggestions, keep them coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Quills Patrick St. Upstairs. Does nt look great from the outside but has good labels.

Next, Jack & Jones and Gentlemans Quarters and Quills.

I think the stuff in Debanhams is awfully dreary. Topman, River Island etc may have one or two items that may suit but in general if you don't aspire to looking like a lady I'd steer clear of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

RoverJames wrote: »
    Next, Jack & Jones and Gentlemans Quarters and Quills.
    I've never liked the stuff in Next. GQ and Quills tend to be pricey and quite preppy. Topman, Zara (in Mahon Point), River Island and Retrograde (vintage shop directly behind Dunne's of Patrick Street) would get my votes. Also, I've bought a fair amount of stuff from French Connection. Nice looking stuff but expensive and the quality is pure sh1te. Everything I've bought there has invariably fallen apart very quickly. About 10 times bitten and now very shy. It took a while to seep in but I don't ever bother going in to see what they have now.

I'd only buy jeans and combats in Next, maybe the very odd top. GQs and Quills always have some items on sale. They also both have some Jack and Jones stuff that wouldn't be in the J&J shop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'd only buy jeans and combats in Next, maybe the very odd top. GQs and Quills always have some items on sale. They also both have some Jack and Jones stuff that wouldn't be in the J&J shop :)
    Fair enough. I didn't know that about the J&J stuff in GQ and Quills. Cheers. My previous reply should have been accompanied by a few emoticons. I was only stating my opinions rather than giving a factual account. Reading it back it comes across as a bit pompous. Quality of French Connection's stuff is sh1te though - FACT!!:D

OP you'll have to stick up a few photos here of you sporting your new wears ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

There's also McCarthy's at the top of Cornmarket Street (Coal Quay) . . . nice family-run shop that often gets overlooked because of its location. A lot of their stock would actually be t-shirts, hoodies etc., very good for boots / shoes as well.

Edit: They seem to have put a website together for themselves

http://www.mccarthysclothingandfootwear.com/

Advertisement