Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just got a Dreamcast!

• 10-06-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

Never had one or played one before, it came with MSR. I'm not much of a racing game fan so what is good on this system :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I'll state the obvious... SHMUPS!

That said though there's lots of decent racers, sports and fighting games. Remember it's a Sega console you bought thus giving access to a wide library of their titles.

If you bought a PAL console, consider getting a region mod done on it. Many will say don't bother with a mod chip. I did, much prefer to hardmod my console as it's easier and works for me as I am buying legit NTSC-J titles.

Most of all, just enjoy your console and the wealth of games available to you. Welcome to the DC club! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Will do the hard mod, have experience in electronics and have hard modded my wii and i do love schmups!

Any schmups i should start with? gonna leg it round to RAGE on my lunch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The mod all depends on what you're going to do with your Dreamcast.

If you're buying legit Japanese games like Pyongyang, then a modchip would be handy.

However, if you're going down the dodgy disc route (like most of us! :D) then a modchip isn't needed. The vast majority of Dreamcasts can play burned discs without any sort of modification at all.

Just download an iso of the game (.cdi versions always work for me) -> burn to CD-r with discjuggler and away you go.

If you see any in there let me know! Only NTSC-J ones though for me, doubtful they'll have those.

Where do you start? Off the top of my head:

Ikaruga, Last Hope, Mars Matrix, Gigawing, Gigawing 2, Gunbird, Gunbird 2, Radirgy, Border Down, Trizeal, Under Defeat and so on...

Problem is, most of those are very expensive. eBay is good, but be prepared for fun postage charges.

To get the best out of these games you'll want an arcade stick of course. After referring to the 'Gospel According To K.O. Kiki' I bought the official Sega Agetec 'Green Goblin'. Hard to find and sort-of expensive but well worth it. I got mine for a good price from the UK. Again, eBay is your best mate here really.

Refer to the 'Gospel According To K.O. Kiki' again, particularly verses 21:17 and 32:69 if you want to 'add fun stuff' to your stick. :D

VMU's and memory sticks can be had for KP nuts and while you're at it, grab some rumble paks too. I went for a bunch of Mad Catz ones as they are reportedly a lot better than the official Sega ones. Amazon have these for literally pennies.

Congrats again!

o1s1n wrote: »
    The mod all depends on what you're going to do with your Dreamcast.

Yup, agreed. For me it's a current necessity which will likely eventually sit on the backburner when I go for an NTSC-J console some day in the future.

Have a think about what you want from the console first and what you intend to buy for it, as o1s1n said, you may find you don't need to hardmod it at all.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You should put Under Defeat at the start of that list with Ikaruga!

I'd hate for him to download and try it out very last...:D It's a great example of the standard of game the Dreamcast is possible of producing and along with Ikaruga, the best shooter for the console in my opinion.

On the subject of rumble packs, I experienced something odd with mine. I was using my arcade stick with Rez and a rumble pack. It was working absolutely brilliantly, EXCEPT for when the level changes. When that happens the beat goes mad and so does the rumble pack. At this point the game would stop and ask me to reinsert the controller.

Cheers lads, fun weekend ahead :)

Master of the Universe

Enjoy! My Dreamcast is one of the few consoles that stays permenantly connected in the sitting room. I get away with it because my girlfriend loves House of the Dead 2 :D

If you have a CRT tv about, that's another must. Along with a couple of light guns. Try to get official ones if you can. If not, the Madcatz ones are good too.

Almost forgot, DITCH THE RF CABLE! I bought a DC VGA box and run the VGA OUT from that box to a scaler PCB and take the VGA OUT from that direct to my TV and run the audio separately to my AV receiver.

A fun set up just minus an SLG 3000. :D

On the subject of rumble packs, I experienced something odd with mine.

Odd. Are they Mad Catz or official ones?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Almost forgot, DITCH THE RF CABLE! I bought a DC VGA box and run the VGA OUT from that box to a scaler PCB and take the VGA OUT from that direct to my TV and run the audio separately to my AV receiver.

A fun set up just minus an SLG 3000. :D

See that safetyboy? That's how you're going to end up if you don't get rid of your Dreamcast immediately :D

If you don't have the money (and the required level of crazyness!) to do the above, then a simple RGB scart cable is enough to give your Dreamcast a beautiful picture. The difference between that and RF is insane.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Official-Geniune-Sega-Dreamcast-DC-RGB-Scart-Lead-New-/260788590263?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item3cb83616b7

And don't just ditch the RF cable - burn the thing. Burn it to make sure nobody else can use it with a Dreamcast. It is a thing of evil.

Master of the Universe

Odd. Are they Mad Catz or official ones?

I actually can't remember what they are. I wonder does it have something to do with the fact that my DC stick has been modded?

This is what i got with it for £16
    Sega Dreamcast console
    Power cable
    Scart cable
    5 fully working controllers
    3 VDUs (2White and 1 black)
    Modem Cable in original packaging
    MSR - Metropolis Street Racer Game Complete in box in great condition

:)

Master of the Universe

:eek:

That was a steal.

Postage cost me 27 though cause of the weight but all in all it was €48 :)

See that safetyboy? That's how you're going to end up if you don't get rid of your Dreamcast immediately

Bah! It's worth every penny! :)

Though if you don't want to go down that avenue, an RGB does indeed do the job. Or does the DC have a component set? I forget...

When my PS2 comes back from 'the doc' I'll be running component through the scaler too. The thing works some serious magic, well worth the dosh.

But yes, essentially, just BURN the RF cable or bury it in a garden or eat it or something.

Just bought Soulcaliber unopened in RAGE for €10 :)

safetyboy wrote: »
    Just bought Soulcaliber unopened in RAGE for €10 :)

Did they have much DC in there?

Did they have much DC in there?

about 20 games, nowt else i'd want though

about 20 games, nowt else i'd want though

retrogamingchallenge.jpg

• Advertisement

Under defeat looks awesome :)

Under defeat looks awesome :)

Expensive tastes... ;)

Master of the Universe

retrogamingchallenge.jpg

I totally forgot about that game. It was a really interesting concept! Quite enjoyed it.

Expensive tastes... ;)

I think it comes in around €100. I'd love to buy it...sticking with a CD-R for the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NoRegrets

Off the top of my head...

1)Shenmue 1 and 2 (You have to play both these games)
    2)Sonic adventure 1 and 2
    3)Crazy taxi 1 and 2
    4)Powerstone 1 and 2
    5)Resident evil 2 and 3 also code veronica
    6)Skies of Arcadia
    7)Soul calibur
    8)Evolution
    9)Grandia 2
    10)Space channel 5

There's many many more but that list will get you started, its a great console still have mine boxed on top of my wardrobe that i take out from time to time to play and find most of the games have aged very well, it really was a console ahead of its time.

Enjoy :)

Code Veronica is in RAGE for €10 is it worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

1. King of Fighters '99 Dream Match.
    2. Street Fighter III: Third Strike.
    3. Marvel vs Capcom 2.
    4. Super Street Fighter II Turbo for Matching Service.*
    5. Aforementioned Crazy Taxi 1 & 2.

Close curtains, stay in, cease being an contributing member of society and let the good times roll. Only got two minutes to put down a list,
    but I've found the Dreamcast to be a console that never stops giving. Definitely amongst the best gaming investments I've ever made.

*Depending on how iffy you get about a frame of lag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 NoRegrets

It averages around €6 or €7 on ebay but then you have to take into account postage so €10 is about right, make sure it comes with the two discs tho if you pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

JET SET RADIO!

I feel like I should list reasons why you should get it but I'm too lazy. It's great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

JET SET RADIO!

I feel like I should list reasons why you should get it but I'm too lazy. It's great!

Seconded, one of the best games on the Dreamcast, still looks amazing, brilliant soundtrack and probably one of the most fun games you'll ever play.

If you can accept that it looks crap, Dynamite Cop is a fun scrolling fighter. I don't think it's held in hgh regard, but I got a lot of fun out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Bangai-o is another great game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No mention of Chu Chu Rocket yet?
    Ah good old multiplayer madness

Chu chu rocket! Of course! Great way to pass a few hours and can be gotten for nothing :)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Chu-Chu-Rocket-SEGA-Dreamcast-only-1-99-/320690009598?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item4aaa9d35fe

10 CD coasters down but have most games i want! Ikaurga, SF3, under defeat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

No. It's 50Hz only.

Ikaruga is one tough game!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Enjoy! My Dreamcast is one of the few consoles that stays permenantly connected in the sitting room. I get away with it because my girlfriend loves House of the Dead 2 :D

If you have a CRT tv about, that's another must. Along with a couple of light guns. Try to get official ones if you can. If not, the Madcatz ones are good too.

Excellent, picked that up along with the gun in Rage on Saturday. Was that the game Cider brought along to Retr0's meets a good while back? Was good craic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes it was. Fantastic game with some of the best voice acting of that generation :)

Also really can't recommend an RGB or VGA connection for the Dreamcast, it really complements the systems graphics and looks fantastic. If you are using the three cable AV composite or, shudder, RF you are really missing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Are Virtua cop 1+2 available on Dreamcast?
    If so they are a must as far as light gun games go

Master of the Universe

10 CD coasters down but have most games i want! Ikaurga, SF3, under defeat!

Unfortunately that's one down side to it. I'm the same, but I'm starting to think it's because I'm using crap discs. On the other hand, I've been burning PS2 dvd discs with good quality JVC ones and they work every time.

I think I'll get some fancy Verbatim CD-rs and try to burn the games that won't work for me at the moment.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Excellent, picked that up along with the gun in Rage on Saturday. Was that the game Cider brought along to Retr0's meets a good while back? Was good craic.

If you can, try to get a second gun...and involve the missus! :D Nothing more fun than hearing your other half shouting 'DIE ZOMBIE DIE DIE DIE!' at the TV.
    Are Virtua cop 1+2 available on Dreamcast?
    If so they are a must as far as light gun games go

Virtua Cop 2 is, but it was Japanese only. So download + cd-r is the way to go there!

Confidential Mission is also another DC lightgun must. The visuals in it are some of the best I've seen for the console.

It's a little less Point Blanky 'blast the crap out of everything with 50 million bullets' like HOTD and relies a lot more on precision.

Well, you can blast your way through like a lunatic if you want, but it's more of a challange to disarm everyone with a single shot.

There's also another Japanese only lightgun game called Death Crimson OX. I've haven't gotten around to trying it yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Mmm Confidential mission looks good.
    I don't know how I never came across it before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Big hoo hah discussion here on using blank disks on dreamcast,its hit and miss,general advice is to burn slow-

http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=90372

My Dreamcast is so weird when it comes to reading cd-r's. When it's in PAL mode it's extremely picky about what it wants to read. When it's in Jap mode it'll read anything you can throw at it and when it's in NTSC mode it's also picky. No idea why but that's just the way it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

link above should help hopefully,legend has it theres some dc's wont actually read back ups

There is indeed. If you look on the bottom of the DC, where the sticker is there should be a number in a circle. The number tells what model revision it is. 0 were the first run, 1 were the second run and then 2 were the last run nearing the end of the DC's life. If you've got a 0 or 1 the majority of them will run backups but the majority of the 2's won't as Sega started putting in security features by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭honkytonk52

Ikaruga is one tough game!

you can sing that one...

by the way has anyone got a spare light gun around they may be willing to part with??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

The Philips CD-Rs in powercity have worked well for me, the cheap ones in the cakeboxes. Usually burn at 4X. Respectable media is important, but so too is the drive.

My current DVD burner, +/- CD/DVD/DL/etc has burned the last few ISOs I've thrown at it, but a few drives before this one have given me grief. They've usually gone the way of suddenly not reading or writing one or a group of the formats, or I even seen a drive burn a disk, refuse to read it, but the disk was fine on other drives!!?? (might relate to the laser not being able to get to certain wavelengths)

I also have an old Cyberdrive CD-R/RW (no DVD reading or writing) that has never failed to burn a good ISO. I'd say if you can get your hands on an old, little used CD-R/RW only drive, snap it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just made a deal on adverts for one myself :D This lead ok? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEGA-DREAMCAST-DC-RGB-SCART-CABLE-NEW-BOXED-/120530718277?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item1c1030ce45#ht_500wt_922

2/3rds the price of the other one.

Really hope it's an older console now :o

Looks OK to me. Go for VGA if funds allow though, it really is a step up from SCART and AV and a lifetime better than RF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hmm I already have my old lappy with a broken screen hooked up to the tv running xbmc/maximus arcade in the only port.

Maybe I could hook up a kvm switch?

Fast Striker / Ikaruga / Under Defeat, Jaysus these are tough! cant get last hope to work, or Mars Matrix so got a .jp version of MM off ebay, and a modchip off Robert! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement