Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just got a Dreamcast!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yeah after a few years of games holding my hands and regular save points I forgot how damn hard shoot'em ups are. I got my ass handed to me by Gunbird 2 a few times and am now playing the easier Cannon Strike.

Been looking out for arcade sticks but they seem pretty pricey. I'm watching a couple on ebay in the states which if no bidding war ensues I can ship on to a friend to hold. I also have a converter coming for the controllers so I can use them on the PC and it helps justify the arcade sticks if I can reuse them.

I seen a discussion here before (back in uber lurking days) about SD card readers for the dreamcast. Did anyone check them out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I got one a while ago. Compatibility is really low. Only managed to get the one game working! :( Just sticking with CD-rs for the time being.

If there's one thing that'll help you with shumps it's a stick. Can't see you needing to get one from the states though, they're always on ebay.co.uk. There was on on adverts recently for €30 I think it was.

Good to know. Was thinking of picking up one of those card readers. Guess the serial port is just too slow for that kind of data transfer.

Yeah I seen a few sticks on ebay but after shipping they can seemingly hit over £40 and as I want to get two and funds being tight it needs justification :D

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Looks OK to me. Go for VGA if funds allow though, it really is a step up from SCART and AV and a lifetime better than RF.

This the thing I want? Pretty much similar price to the RGB cable.

I also found a VGA switch for about a tenner.

(Hopefully you don't have to be signed into my account to see them :D)

Master of the Universe

That's the one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

ShooterSF wrote: »
    This the thing I want? Pretty much similar price to the RGB cable.

Yup. I have the same box. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

getting a boxed one console next week. 50 squids

Just won an arcade stick on ebay but have copped that it's picture is a stock photo and the written description has no mention of the official stick. Thankfully I haven't paid yet so I plan to grill the owner in case I get a cheap knock off as I want plenty of evidence for Mr. Paypal in the event of a dispute.

Hoping it was just overlooked by the seller but I'm getting suspicious...

The knock off one smells of bum. The Gospel According To KO Kiki (p357) covers this poor excuse of a stick in some detail.

• Advertisement

Even if it played well it's dog ugly! Anywho he emailed me back saying it was the same as the stock photo only with white writing and (somehow got my email address) sent on a photo of it to me. So I think I've done well and if worst came to worst I think I have enough evidence if a dispute arises.

I also got one in the states :D for the same price after shipping. Now to invite the mates over for some Ikaruga and Soul Calibur.

Have Street fighter double impact and capcom vs snk coming in the post. Just noticed about postage to Ireland with Dreamcast games that they quotes seem to be a lot higher than SNES games.
    9 pounds for the two games above
    and 12 pounds for another two games

Does the postage be normally a lot higher with dreamcast sellers?

Also had to tune in my tv last night to play the dreamcast. Havent had to do that in years and I hated it then and I hate it more now.

What is the best set up for a cable?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    What is the best set up for a cable?

VGA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Have Street fighter double impact and capcom vs snk coming in the post

Brilliant buys. I'll get lynched for saying so, but I prefer Double Impact (well, Second Impact) to 3rd Strike. It strikes me as something slightly more fun
    before the tech-saviness of 3rd Strike came into effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I'll get lynched for saying so, but I prefer Double Impact (well, Second Impact) to 3rd Strike. It strikes me as something slightly more fun before the tech-saviness of 3rd Strike came into effect.

hanging_rope-300x278.jpg

;)

*This should save ya Mr. Saturn*

Meh, I never was gone on Street Fighter

• Advertisement

VGA cable arrived today. Most impressed! Image is soooooooo much better

Doesn't work with some games though :(

VGA cable arrived today. Most impressed! Image is soooooooo much better

Doesn't work with some games though :(

Indeed, not all games are VGA-friendly. Take a look in to a scaler though...and an SLG 3000! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

Hi, I just wanted to ask if anyone might have any dreamcast game holders that they might trade or sell, theyre the same as dvd/cd holders, but blue and made specifically for dreamcast games, i have 4(each holds 10 games). I bought them for around £5each when electronic boutique was getting rid of its DC stuff, i just think they look nice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dreamcast game cases are far and away the worst game cases ever.
    They just seemed to crumble and snap with the least amount of use.
    At least Japan got regular cd boxes with nice spine cards and the like, we made do with the same as the US.
    Reminds me of the unfortunate US 3DO boxes, completely bonkers while we got proper CD cases instead.

nice spine cards

Do I detect another member of the SC-OCD club? :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'm pretty sure Dreamcast cases break if you breathe too heavily on them. I'm really careful with games and all mine are broken. Can never figure out how.

I love the way Sega CD based Japanese game releases come in standard CD jewel cases. Really understated, but they look excellent.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Dreamcast cases break if you breathe too heavily on them. I'm sure careful with games and all mine are broken. Can never figure out how.

All my games are wrapped in cello wraps now. :D

Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    All my games are wrapped in cello wraps now. :D

Oh I meant to ask you, do they have zip locks or do you just stick them?

Oh I meant to ask you, do they have zip locks or do you just stick them?

Resealable tape. Better than zip locks I think. Chuck in a few silica bags in your storage areas, tubs, boxes etc to keep everything fun.

Master of the Universe

Does the tape not get gunky and funky/less usable over time?

I was going to get some but then when I saw it was tape decided against it as I'd be opening them a lot. Are they not more for sealing games up and to keep them sealed no?

Does the tape not get gunky and funky/less usable over time?

I was going to get some but then when I saw it was tape decided against it as I'd be opening them a lot. Are they not more for sealing games up and to keep them sealed no?

Nope it's an odd kind of stick to it. They do the job great I think. :)

Got my dreamcast a while back and after tuning (tuning!!!) it in, I played it for a bit. Nearly got sick from my eyes after playing Street Double Impact. The picture was horrible. Couldn't actually play it.
    After spending another 50 on the yoke now buying controllers and a vga box. Now I see here that some games do not work with vga. Please tell me its a small amount or else I'm going to have to buy and rgb cable. Cost me around a hundred quid now and I thought I was great getting it for 40.

On the plus side I got and rgb cable for my snes.

Master of the Universe

When people say some Dreamcast games don't work with VGA, I'm pretty sure they mean that running it through VGA doesn't upscale it to higher resolutions for those games. - It still works at standard resolutions though doesn't it?

I've only ever tried it with Japanese shooters and all of them worked fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

I've had a few games that didn't run via VGA, MK Gold was one of them IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

Hi all, I actually meant dreamcast game stands/towers not the cases, There is a picture of them on the old "no pic no post" thread in one of kkv's posts, i cant find them on ebay so thought someone here might know if i could locate one or two, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I wish someone would do some comparison pics showing the difference between standard res and VGA res.

When people say some Dreamcast games don't work with VGA, I'm pretty sure they mean that running it through VGA doesn't upscale it to higher resolutions for those games. - It still works at standard resolutions though doesn't it?

I've only ever tried it with Japanese shooters and all of them worked fine for me.

Nope. Comes up with a screen saying game doesn't work with adapter. Soul Calibur and Gunbird 2 don't seem to work. Though I think there are patches out there to get the games to play through it..

Still worth it though.

My second arcade stick arrived today from the States. Ikaruga sitting in the DC waiting for the weekend for some mates over. Then I need to do some persuading that a rotating TV wall mount is needed :D (no chance)

Master of the Universe

Nope. Comes up with a screen saying game doesn't work with adapter. Soul Calibur and Gunbird 2 don't seem to work. Though I think there are patches out there to get the games to play through it..

Still worth it though.

My second arcade stick arrived today from the States. Ikaruga sitting in the DC waiting for the weekend for some mates over. Then I need to do some persuading that a rotating TV wall mount is needed :D (no chance)

****e! That's good to know, cheers.

Ikaruga two player is suprisingly difficult. The second player getting in your way and confusing you is as much a hazzard as enemy bullets. Good fun though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Hmm pretty sure i have a Dreamcast in the attic at home, must go find it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Soul Calibur and Gunbird 2 don't seem to work. Though I think there are patches out there to get the games to play through it..

As far as the PAL versions are concerned, Soul Calibur works with the VGA cable fine, and Gunbird 2 works with Codebreaker at least, but with slowdown in a few sections of stages 2, 3 and 4, IIRC.

Well finally got the vga box.

Only have four games for the dreamcast and one in Scotland which I wont see for a while.

Capcom vs SNK no work with the box. Going to have to get an rgb or scart cable for it now. Have that game for weeks and still cant get to play it, prob be crap now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Under Defeat and Border down are amazing!

Advertisement