Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm giving my cat away

• 10-06-2011 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm giving a sick cat away.
    Aged one, castrated, Persian breed.
    I live in the North Dublin area.
    I'm getting his blood test results next week with any possible treatments that follow.
    I just don't have the money to pay for the healthcare, the cat was never insured. He more than likely has an inner organ failure.
    If anyone is interested, please email me at hialiq@gmail.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

good luck with that!

You don't even know what the problem is, or how much it will cost.
    Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im lost for words :( Poor cat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

:( Poor cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

That's sad :(

If the owner genuinely doesn't have the money, then what else can they do but give it away. :(

Maybe contact a cat rescue shelter and see if they can help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Contact his breeder. Contact persian specific rescue. Contact rescue centres in the area and explain the situation. Pass on his vet records. He may still be a desirable option for someone who likes persians.

Don't pass him onto an inexperienced person. Please work it out with a rescue.

And please don't ever get another cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Please don't just give the cat to the first person willing to take it off your hands. Heed The Sweeper's advice.

Exotic breeds of all types of animals regularly have health issues and will require an investment in time and money (often a lot). It never ceases to amaze me how many people buy animals on a whim and then when reality strikes home want to offload onto someone else.

In fairness to the OP, at least an effort is being made to find a new home. Some might just abandon the animal and leave it to suffer. Thankfully thats not the case here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

hialiq wrote: »
    I'm giving a sick cat away.

I just don't have the money to pay for the healthcare, the cat was never insured.

Who is your vet? Is there any chance that they would work with you in relation to the money? My vet was very good to me earlier this year, my cat needed an op its worked out at €250 for everything including about 5 re visits to have all checked, they let me pay in installments, all I had to do was ask.

If he's sick it would be such a disruption to him to be rehomed, is it only the money holding you back?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

And please don't ever get another cat.

Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Lesson of the day: pet insurance is WORTH EVERY PENNY!
    I just had a bill for my one year old Bengal who had anaemia, the bill was 340 euro.
    Today I got my cheque back from petInsure for 282 euro.
    I was so relieved that i invested 8 euros a month in insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Owning a pet is about being there through the tough times as well as the good. There is help out there for people who are unable to pay the full amount of vet fees.
    Try contacting one of these organisations. Just google their names and you will find contact details for them. They offer subsidised veterinary care for owners on low incomes.

Blue Cross
    North County Dublin SPCA
    St Francis Dispensary for Sick Animals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Tanya1988

I really cant believe somebody would just get rid of there cat like this, I've had cats all my life and have been to hell and back. One of my cats of 17 years devolped FIV I paid so much for her drugs, bloods and everything else she had to get done, I knew in the end it wasn't going to save her life but that extra time I got with her was precious. I have two maine coon's at the moment anytime there is a symtom there i bring them staight to the vet. Im currently working dont get paid much, but I wouldnt get rid of my cats if they were ill Id put every cent I have into them Im sure you could work something out with the vets. One of my maine coons cost me over €200 recently for a virus she picked up and she was worth every penny to nurse her back to health. Please don't give up on the cat, it's not that cats fault its ill.. and especially when your ill you rather be at home with the people you know.... how will the cat feel been pushed onto stangers.. think on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

This smells of troll to me ...

Don't feed a troll ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

lily4 wrote: »
    This smells of troll to me ...

Don't feed a troll ..

I work in the industry, believe me I've seen too many people like the OP so unfortunately while I wish it was a troll it probably isn't.

OP if you're not a troll there is help out there, please do not give this poor cat away to some poor person that has to pick up the mess. If you don't want it your Vet, rescue centres, cats aid etc could help. Do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

First point of call is always the breeder when you are rehoming.
    In what way is the cat sick?
    If you deal with your vet regularly it is possible a deal can be arranged, a monthly payment towards the balance maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

anniehoo wrote: »
    Im lost for words :( Poor cat!

Exactly. I would never take care of an animal, if I could not afford possible visits to the vet and meds. A cat can always get sick, you can never rule it out, I'm afraid :(

But I hope, that things will turn to the good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Adult persians suffer from many issues that make them very high maintenance cats - polycystic kidney disease is a common ailment, but depending on breeding the shape of the face can give rise to trouble breathing and even eating in some cases if the jaw is particularly undershot. Add to that the really obvious demands of grooming and they're really not a cat for a beginner or someone who is interested in the appearance of the end result and doesn't realise the work that goes in.

The OP says the cat most probably has an inner organ failure - I'll bet that's polycystic kidney disease. (They hadn't posted that when I replied the first time.) (The kidneys are full of cysts from birth and the cysts grow and cause kidney failure.) Most reputable breeders are testing their cats for polycystic kidneys now before breeding so chances are the OP did not acquire their cat from a reputable breeder who did the required testing.

Presenting at a year old, if it is what I think it is, the OP's cat has quite an aggressive form of polycystic kidney disease, and there is no cure. The cat will require medication to slow the progress of the disease and provide palliation, and will die from PKD.

OP, given your situation, if it is PKD, ask if the vet will humanely euthanise your cat. The disease progression may be fast and it will be hopelessly unfair to pass that cat around from pillar to post. The best life expectancy with such early onset PKD is probably six years tops, could be as low as another six months to a year. If the vet identifies the cat's life expectancy is short, and you request euthanasia, best case scenario is the vet is so horrified by the callousness of that approach, that he or she or one of the nurses takes the cat on and minds it through the rest of its short life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1 for The Sweepers advice (yet again...:D)Can you write a book by the way?Ive learned so much from you its not funny.

I reacted to the OP (fair enough its post #1) but still. I judged. Patronised. Assumed and gave no advice...so my bad. Im here long enough to know what the story is by now.

If the OP is serious please private message me and ill happily put you in touch with the right people to rehome your cat if you like.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

c u next tuesday

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

c u next tuesday

See you in a different forum.Permanent ban issued.

I also think that this is a troll.So can you please stop responding to these ridiculous threads.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement