Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography!!! How did it go?!

• 10-06-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I did questions 2,4,8,13 and all were a breeze:cool: except I ran out of time on the option question :eek:

Short questions were so easy! I think I got them all right :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Alfi

Yeah very handy paper, 2 biome questions which was deadly. Short questions were a joke. Physical was good. Regional and Option were challenging, the typical questions didn't really appear there. Good paper though, very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I ran out of time! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

For question 2 landform development was it ok to do a waterfall?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DufferO8

i did that too

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MegaSuperDood

Duda17 wrote: »

Yeah there was a waterfall on the map (its says "waterfall" in small writing)

• Advertisement

I didnt see any writing. I just picked a grid reference from the around the mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

thats exactly wat i was wonderin. fair annoyin not knowin in there. just picked a mountainy grid ref aswell.
    but then i kinda freaked so i went back and did a meander...fair dodgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

SQ's-Grand
    Question 1 - Alright in General
    Question 5 - Quite good now in all honesty
    Question 7 - Flew through A and B fully aware of time and started C when I decided to start my Geoecology Q where I chose Characteristics of a Biome under 3/4 Headings (Climate, Soils, Fauna)
    Bullet-pointed everything then in last 7 minutes done the fastest summary of Great Britains colonization of India ever :P

All in all a very good paper :D

Could've done with an extra 10 minutes though,
    Should be 3 hours instead of 2hrs 50mins.
    Difficult time breakdown with questions.
    Worked right up to 20 past.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MegaSuperDood

I didnt see any writing. I just picked a grid reference from the around the mountains.

V462 990 Check that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

Most difficult geography paper since the change in the course in 2006. Still think I got an A but I was dissapointed cultural regions didn't come up and plant and animal adaptations to a biome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Delighted with that one! Wasn't too happy with the regional but made it work I hope.

We had to give back the maps! I hope i dont get no marks in that question now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I didnt even have time to do the optional question on Biomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Terrible. I studied 2 biome questions except the one that came up an the human impact of soil neither of them came up. I ended up trying to do a global inderpendance question on the positive and negative aid in first world or something. I just wrote stuff like the help the living over in the first world better with education.area, clean water I don't even know if it was right. I done question 3 and the first and 2nd question was ok and then I saw the last part hadn't even done that in class. The other questions I didn't know much about. I drew the map of SW USA wrong . Hopefully with the project I'll pass. I did mainly the map questions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Very tough paper I thought, some of the questions were very specific. Like the human interaction with the rock cycle it was an extra litle challenge to bring everything back to how it economically benefits humans and for over population it asked specifically to describe the causes with references to examples. How okay is it to talk about high birth rates and desertification in the Sahel as a cause for over population? seeing as they both lead to a shortage of food?

Also, on the question on how a region is defined by specific criteria I talked about Climatic regions with reference to the cool temperate maritime climate and then basically said the same stuff for the climate aspect of the biome question. Bad move?:confused:

Otherwise though it was fine, it wasn't unfair by any means, just tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Seaner1878

I was was confused by the wording of the biome question and I didnt know if it was human impact cos it said economic or something..so I did soils which was characteristics but I wrote mainly about relief and climate rather that the characteristics and I only just realised!its annoying..apart from that it was pretty good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BallerinaBabe

It was horrific for me, was expecting an A1, now looking more like a C. Anyone here do global interdependence? HORRIBLE>

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Hey do you know for the geoecology question. What was question 16. I believe it was the soil one but it said characteristics and something else which I believe meant humans. Did it say that. Can u remember the q? Don't have the thing with me coz I had to give it up.

I talked about overcropping , over-grazing and deforestation and desertification.

Did I do it wrong.
    Will i get 0 out of 80 if it's wrong.

Reasure me !:(

I just got the Question;

Soil characteristics are affected by their immediate environment and by a combination of
    processes operating in that environment.
    Examine any three soil processes that affect soil characteristics.

Is over-cropping overgrazing correct here..
    The environment being the people I believed and the processes.....

Please answer !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I was delighted with the biome.
    Overall was very happy.

Am I the only one who found the short questions quite hard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

16. Soil characteristics are affected by their immediate environment and by a combination of
    processes operating in that environment.
    Examine any three soil processes that affect soil characteristics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

Happy out :)

Done Question 1 on Physical - Sketch Map, Volcanicity and Human interaction with River Processes
    For Regional I done the one with the map of India, agriculture in Ireland and the growth of Paris
    Economic: Sketch Map, Pollution and Multinational Company operations
    Soils, Flora and Fauna for characteristics of the biome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

I was heartbroken.. geography was one of the subjects I put the most time into, and I feel like none of it payed off. The best question I did was the characteristics of a biome, had read that right before going in so it was fresh in my mind. I ended up having to do a question about population distribution in a sub continental region.. I really had no idea, so I just kinda winged it and said why people live in different places in India.. probably wrong.

I did the physical question about the benefits of volcanoes and human interaction with rivers. My volcanoes one was a bit iffy, I said Tourism, Geothermal Energy and Fertile soil but my answers were really dragged out.

I'm upset cause I got an A1 in the mock and I know I'm gonna be disappointed when I find out my result :( In my opinion it was a hard paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I was delighted with the biome.
    Overall was very happy.

Yeah I found the short questions a bit hard too, as far as I remember there were quite a few on glacial and coastal erosion. My teacher didn't even cover them in class, so I winged it and tried to remember some crap about the coast from 2nd year :/

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Was it acceptable to talk about human impacts for the biome question which asked for "economic activities"?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

UrbanSea wrote: »

I forgot that solar power existed and only wrote down geothermal for the renewable energy resources. And I never studied glaciation so I guessed the answers :/ I could've been happier with the short questions tbh. There's been easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I actually thought I was going to get up and do a dance when I saw the Global Interdependence questions. The exact question I'd learned last night came up. I got 6 pages written. Delighted.

The rest was okay. About the same as the mocks (which I got a B3 in) really so I think I did fine.

Well except for the short questions... those were weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Is over-grazing , overcropping etc ok to use for this answer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm gutted human impact of a biome didn't come but but the economical of a biome or something came up neither did how plants or animals adapt to biomes or human impact of soil. I'd never seen that economical impact on biomes .
    The Isostatic processes came up , I didn't even study that. I really hope I passed.
    If you did bad in the paper would the project at least bring you up to a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lukky

hey,

what they were really looking for here was the processes of leaching and humification. you will get marks for what you said provided you showed how overcropping affected soil charactewristics.

you will get marks but you made it harder for yourself to get high marks, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

around 50% for me :|
    physical was ok,but messed up regional,and q B on electives,1 and a half page for biome :/ short questions bit tricky.
    I did q 2,4,9 and characteristics of biome.

Advertisement