Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography!!! How did it go?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

lukky wrote: »
    hey,

what they were really looking for here was the processes of leaching and humification. you will get marks for what you said provided you showed how overcropping affected soil characteristics.

you will get marks but you made it harder for yourself to get high marks, sorry

Sorry for bothering you but,
    isn't overcropping etc a process of soil erosion ? I'm still confused.
    How many marks could I lose for this? i said that they soil has now become infertile etc ..... help
    I gave solutions and everything on how it could be solved. Did I make a complete balls of it? Sorry fro the language...
    Anyone else do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

For human distribution in south west america (continental region) was i meant to write about the different ethnic groups? really worried, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

The questions were kinda weird none of them were really related to past questions

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lukky

characteristics of soil include colour, texture, structure, acidity, fertility, humus content

if you referred to some/all of these and showed how overcropping affects them then you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

I only studied human impact and animal and plant adaptations because characteristics of a biome came up last year. I ended up writing just human impacts on biome....Do you think they will mark it easy or will I get any marks from my biome question?

What are they looking for for "economic" impacts?? I don't have a textbook for options or economic my teacher just gave notes out and I learned them but then the questions were so more specific like the "human impact on rock cycle" as well I knew loads about that but only a few lines of my 1 1/2 page was about benefits!

It was so much different to all the previous years! They modified all the questions! I got an A2 in my mock I think Im going to get a C in this. And like EU enlargement they asked "economic impacts" only. I knew cultural and economic. Doubt I got 12 srps on economic..

I hope all this "economic" stuff hasn't messed me up...

So upset!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭answer me

Was there a sea stack in the map??????
    I went on about a sea stack but never gave any grid refernce so what happens now,is that question marked 0 now????

characteristics of soil include colour, texture, structure, acidity, fertility, humus content

if you referred to some/all of these and showed how overcropping affects them then you will be fine.

I mentioned how infertile it is and how the humus is completely degraded because of overcropping, overgrazing. etc. Would I only get like half marks or something? You're really calming me..... Thanks for answering again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Repeat2011

How okay is it to talk about high birth rates and desertification in the Sahel as a cause for over population? seeing as they both lead to a shortage of food?
    Did it not say examples so we had to talk about two regions...please say it did???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

Thought the paper was grand overall.
    The short questions were a bit hard compared to other years but I think I done well in them.
    For physical I done the waterfall and rock cycle q (I just wrote about geothermal energy and how it makes money in tourism and safes money for the government and stuff like that)
    For the regional I wrote about the effects of EU expansion on Ireland and for the define a region q I just listed and explained the different types of regions and gave examples,
    I also done the q about where would you locate a fish plant and i hadn't studied colonislm so in last ten mins I wrote about three quarters of a page of make up facts about India and Britain.
    For the options I done how economic activities alter a biome, I discussed rainforests and how there exploited under the headings: Commercial Lumbering, Fuel and Paper Industry and Cattle Stations.
    Hope I done everything right!
    Hoping for a B!

sea stack question: you will get 0marks out of prob 6 for a correct location but you will be marked on your explanation of a sea stack out of the remainding 24. it wont be fully decided untill the marking conference but that is normally the way it works.

sir 123:your better off forgetting about it now and i cant really tell for sure without reading it but to get high marks you would really need to be mentioning the above characteristics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭answer me

Do you know in the landform question.
    Was there a sea stack?
    I never gave a grid refernce??????

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Seaner1878

Zipp101 wrote: »
    Was it acceptable to talk about human impacts for the biome question which asked for "economic activities"?

Yeah I'm confused about that aswell ..A few people in my year did human impact for that Q but I didn't because I didn't want to risk it

sea stack question: you will get 0marks out of prob 6 for a correct location but you will be marked on your explanation of a sea stack out of the remainding 24. it wont be fully decided untill the marking conference but that is normally the way it works.

sir 123:your better off forgetting about it now and i cant really tell for sure without reading it but to get high marks you would really need to be mentioning the above characteristics.

Thanks I mentioned them within that though ..... Maybe I won't get a B after all.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

mockshelp wrote: »
    It was so much different to all the previous years! They modified all the questions!

agree!someone was mad about economy! they even put it in the physical for the interaction with rock cycle(humans benefiting economically from the geothermal energy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

answer me wrote: »
    Do you know in the landform question.
    Was there a sea stack?
    I never gave a grid refernce??????

My friend done that aswell. I'm looking at the map now and there are sea stacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I was delighted with the biome.
    Overall was very happy.

Am I the only one who found the short questions quite hard?

They were a death, pretty much guessed everyone of them
    Yeah there was a waterfall on the map (its says "waterfall" in small writing)

Dayym dont how how i missed that!! Had a look for a waterfall and couldn't find 1 so just gave some random grid reference of a river flowing into a lake

well nothing you can do about it now anyway. either way there is no way you got zero so dont worry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jj123

Most difficult geography paper since the change in the course in 2006. Still think I got an A but I was dissapointed cultural regions didn't come up and plant and animal adaptations to a biome.

There was a question on the concept of a region, so you could have answered on a region defined by culture there :/ i though it was the toughest paper in a while aswell ..ended up waffling my way through some of the questions..I was hoping for plant and animals too and was rightly screwed when they didn't come up :/ don't think I managed to pull out the A i was hoping for!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Alfi

jj123 wrote: »
    I was hoping for plant and animals too and was rightly screwed when they didn't come up :/ don't think I managed to pull out the A i was hoping for!

What do you mean by plants and animals? In the biome?

Edit: saw what you were referring to. Never mind

Repeat2011 wrote: »
    Did it not say examples so we had to talk about two regions...please say it did???

It said example(s) so you could do one or more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Lads did any of you do the Question 2 B Part 1? About the landform development? I spoke about a cirque/corrie for the glacial part but my grid reference was a bit iffy, say it would be grand? I just kind of picked a sort of random place that a cirque would be?

Anybody?

Alfi wrote: »
    What do you mean by plants and animals? In the biome?

Yeah plant and animal adaptations like..i ended up having to use a few sentences from it to fill up my characteristics of a biome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Not everything I wanted came up but still happy with the result :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 VARIEGATED GIRL

The worst thing you can do is a postmortem of an exam. It's in the past now, so don't be worrying! :o chin up, forget about it and prepare for the rest of the exams.

166man wrote: »
    Lads did any of you do the Question 2 B Part 1? About the landform development? I spoke about a cirque/corrie for the glacial part but my grid reference was a bit iffy, say it would be grand? I just kind of picked a sort of random place that a cirque would be?

Anybody?

Yeah I'd say you'll be grand! I wouldn't say the grid reference was worth much! It's hard to tell how they'll mark this year because some of the questions were so strange...I forgot t answer part of my elective question because the part a had 2 parts, theres a few points down the drain :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Don't want to jinx anything, so I'll just say it all went grand! :D
    Question - for the characteristics of a biome - how many did you write on? I know it said three, but I wonder is the marking scheme going to say 3/4 again, rather than actually sticking to the question?
    I was going to go back and write a fourth, but I didn't have time. Just got in finished in time, pretty happy I did. Bout 2 - 2.5 pages for each 30 marker, how about you guys? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 merlin13

It was horrific for me, was expecting an A1, now looking more like a C. Anyone here do global interdependence? HORRIBLE>

I agree! it was awful! and i found out after you could use global warming and deforestation for Q15 which i did not realise at all! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Yeah I'd say you'll be grand! I wouldn't say the grid reference was worth much! It's hard to tell how they'll mark this year because some of the questions were so strange...I forgot t answer part of my elective question because the part a had 2 parts, theres a few points down the drain :/

Cheers hopefully we won't get shafted like the maths exam! That thread has some serious hate on it for the SEC...hope they monitor boards now....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

Yeah plant and animal adaptations like..i ended up having to use a few sentences from it to fill up my characteristics of a biome!
    Sure their pretty similar really, if you know plant and animal adaptions you've pretty much got 2 out of the 3 characteristics there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Repeat2011 wrote: »

Id did! :( I'm so raging because I talked about overcropping and overgrazing in the Sahel region then High Birth Rates in Sudan which are sort of the same region!

The paper was so different to previous papers!

Short Questions
    I found them difficult :eek:
    the weather chart? not a clue.
    Striations?? I have never come across that word in my LIFE
    Rock Type, dodgy for me

Physical
    I did Q2.
    Spent ages freaking out and looking for a bloody waterfall on the map though which was annoying. Thank God it was there though! :D
    Human interaction with rocks was grand (I did geothermal energy) except it was a bit off putting that it refered specifically to "economic benefits". Found myself talking a load of nonsense about how it's an economic benefit because they don't have to pay as much carbon tax? Made it up :/

Regional
    Q 5.
    So annoyed all the stuff on Paris, Mezz, Ireland, SW USA wasnt needed in the end!
    Impact of EU expansion on Ireland's economy. Well, that was the biggest load of dung I have ever made up
    "Concept of a Region". Am really worried about this as I just went on about geomorphological, core, peripheral, language, culture, administrative. Pretty sure I got that wrong with a max of 10/30 :(

Human Elective
    Q 12.
    part a) ii) If I typed what I wrote you would think me a complete idiot!
    Overpopulation
    Mentioned above. Will most likely get docced 50% straight away :(
    Development of Dingle
    Bluffed this too :(

Culture & Identity Option
    Q21 "how migration impacts on racial patterns
    I wrote about California, France and a crap bit on Brazil.

Overall pretty disappointed with myself. Got a B2 in the mock and was hoping for a B1 but now feel I would be lucky with a C1 :(

Advertisement